It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiritual Wisdom Quotes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here is a collection of my most favourite quotes from some of the great spiritual teachers/guides from both the past and present…

Adi Shankara

“Beyond birth, creed, family and tribe, free from the distortion of attributes of name and appearance, transcending locality, time and objects, you are That, God himself. Meditate on the fact within yourself.”

“Realising one's true nature as pure consciousness, one should remain always established in oneself, like a king surrounded by his army, and should redirect all that is back into God.”

“An illness is not cured just by pronouncing the name of the medicine without drinking it, and you will not be liberated by just pronouncing the word God without direct experience.”

Allan Watts

“Waking up to who you are requires letting go of who you imagine yourself to be”

“This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”

“We do not "come into" this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean "waves," the universe "peoples." Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe.”

Annumalai Swami

“Go deeply into this feeling of 'I'. Be aware of it so strongly and so intensely that no other thoughts have the energy to arise and distract you. If you hold this feeling of 'I' long enough and strongly enough, the false 'I' will vanish leaving only the unbroken awareness of the real, immanent 'I', consciousness itself”

“Your ultimate need is to get established in the changeless peace of the Self. For this you have to give up all thoughts.”

Chuang Tzu

“During our dreams we do not know we are dreaming. We may even dream of interpreting a dream. Only on waking do we know it was a dream. Only after the great awakening will we realize that this is the great dream. And yet fools think they are awake, presuming to know that they are rulers or herdsmen. How dense!”

Gangaji

“Love has nothing to do with another person. Love is Truth. Love is Beauty. Love is Self. To know yourself, to surrender to the truth of yourself, is to surrender to love”

“The love that you search for everywhere is already present within you. It may be evoked by any number of people or events. But finally, you must realize you are this love. The source of all love is within you.”

“Revelation is beyond doctrines and belief systems. It is beyond everything imaginable. It is beyond because it is so close. Revelation is more direct than every word, for it arises out of the truth of who you are. This truth is all you have ever longed for, all you have ever needed.”

Heraclitus

“Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.”

“Much learning does not teach understanding”

“…what agrees disagrees, the concordant is discordant. It is wise to listen, not to me but to the Word, and to confess that all things are one. He who hears not me but the logos will say: All is one.”

Hermes Trismegistus

“TAT: Is God then in matter, 0 father?
HERMES: Where could matter be placed if it existed apart from God [who is infinite]? Would it not be but a confused mass, unless it were ordered? And if it is ordered, by whom is it ordered? The energies which operate in it are parts of God. Whether you speak of matter or bodies or substance, know that all these are the energy of God, of the God who is all. In the All there is nothing which is not God. Adore this teaching, my child, and hold it sacred."

Jesus

“For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

“For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘Father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in Heaven.”

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

“If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are SONS of the living Father."

"If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."

“Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Jiddu Krishnamurti

“In oneself lies the whole world and if you know how to look and learn, the door is there and the key is in your hand. Nobody on earth can give you either the key or the door to open, except yourself.”

“When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.”

“Freedom and love go together. Love is not a reaction. If I love you because you love me, that is mere trade, a thing to be bought in the market; it is not love. To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom.”

Lao Tzu

“A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”

“The key to growth is the introduction of higher dimensions of consciousness into our awareness.”

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment”

“Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”

Marcus Aurelius

“Never forget that the universe is a single living organism possessed of one substance and one soul, holding all things suspended in a single consciousness and creating all things with a single purpose that they might work together spinning and weaving and knotting whatever comes to pass.”

“Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble up, if thou wilt ever dig.”

Continued…

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Meher Baba

“Spiritual freedom is won by one's self for one's self, through watchful and unfailing war against the false self.”

“The real untouchables are those who will not enter the heart's temple and see the Lord within.”

“Those who cleanse their hearts of the embittering poison of selfishness, hate, and greed find God as their own true self.”

“Divine love makes us true to ourselves and to others. . . Divine love is the solution to our difficulties and problems. It frees us from every kind of binding. It makes us speak truly, think truly, and act truly. It makes us feel one with the whole universe. Divine love purifies our hearts and glorifies our being.”

Mooji

“All is perfection only. Perfection is everywhere to behold; But first you must have the eyes to see it. Only the one with perfect eyes can see Perfection. Think of yourself, And a subtle image is formed Inside the mind. You are not this nor any image or thought. You are the Silent and formless Awareness within which innumerable impressions appear and disappear without trace.”

“If you want to make God laugh, just tell Him about your plans!”

“As an old pot is not polished without scrubbing, so is the mind not purified without trials; but the pure Self is ever perfect.”

Nisargadatta

“In death only the body dies. Life does not, consciousness
does not, reality does not.”

“We know the outer world of sensations and actions, but of our inner world of thoughts and feelings we know very little. The primary purpose of meditation is to become conscious of, and familiar with, our inner life. The ultimate purpose is to reach the source of life and consciousness.”

Padmasambhava

“When one's mind is thus known in its nakedness, this Doctrine of Seeing the Mind Naked, this Self-Liberation, is seen to be exceedingly profound. Seek, therefore, thine own Wisdom within thee. It is the Vast Deep.”

“All beings have lived and died and been reborn countless times. Over and over again they have experienced the indescribable Clear Light. But because they are obscured by the darkness of ignorance, they wander endlessly in a limitless samsara.”

Parmenides

“One path only is left for us to speak of, namely, that It is. In it are very many tokens that what is, is uncreated and indestructible, alone, complete, immovable and without end. Nor was it ever, nor will it be; for now it is, all at once, a continuous one. For what kind of origin for it. will you look for ? In what way and from what source could it have drawn its increase ? I shall not let thee say nor think that it came from what is not; for it can neither be thought nor uttered that what is not is. And, if it came from nothing, what need could have made it arise later rather than sooner ? Therefore must it either be altogether or be not at all”

Poonjaji

“Your first priority is the question "Who am I?" Once you have discovered that, you will know the real nature of all the other things and people that you see.“

“Self is what you are. You are That Fathomlessness in which experience and concepts appear. Self is the Moment that has no coming or going. It is the Heart, Atman, Emptiness. It shines to Itself, by Itself, in Itself.”

“Self is what gives breath to Life. You need not search for It, It is Here. You are That through which you would search. You are what you are looking for! And That is All it is.”

“That ocean of eternal peace is you. What is the difficulty that we suffer from? It is that we seek peace elsewhere and do not experience that we are peace incarnate itself.”

Ramana Maharshi

“The world does not exist without the body, the body never exists without the mind, the mind never exists without consciousness, and consciousness never exists without the Reality. For the wise one who has known Self by diving within himself, there is nothing other than Self to be known.”

“The state of being is permanent and the body and the world are not. They are fleeting phenomena passing on the screen of being-consciousness which is eternal and stationary.”

“All other knowledge are only petty and trivial knowledge; the experience of silence alone is the real and perfect knowledge.”

“By whatever path you go, you will have to lose yourself in the one. Surrender is complete only when you reach the stage `Thou art all' and `Thy will be done'.”

Siddhartha Gautama 'The Buddha'

“The mind is everything. What you think you become.”

“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.”

”Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.”

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

”Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, you are the one who is getting burned.”

“There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.”

”No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Socrates

“To find yourself, think for yourself”

“I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.”

Zeno

“If melodiously piping flutes sprang from the olive, would you doubt that a knowledge of flute-playing resided in the olive? And what if plane trees bore harps which gave forth rhythmical sounds? Clearly you would think in the same way that the art of music was possessed by plane trees. Why, then, seeing that the universe gives birth to beings that are animate and wise, should it not be considered animate and wise itself?”

“God is not separate from the world; He is the soul of the world, and each of us contains a part of the Divine Fire. All things are parts of one single system, which is called Nature; the individual life is good when it is in harmony with Nature.”

“The reason why we have two ears and only one mouth is that we may listen the more and talk the less.”

Feel free to share any spiritual quotes that inspire you…

Peace…

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Sweet! Thanks for this.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Loving this thread😊

Thanks for posting. I'm not even through yet but I'm already in a better mood here at work just from reading the first few.

Just trying to stay focused on the here and now. It's nice.
edit on 26-6-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Reading these just makes life more interesting. Funner.

Ok back to thread. Lots of golden nugs.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

That was quite a exquisite read, I was planning to join in the same manner, but you managed to point almost all, if not all of my favorite people for quoting, which leaves me nothing else as option, but sharing a thought of the Master of Masters:

”People who don’t think probably don’t have brains; rather, they have grey fluff that’s blown into their heads by mistake.”
― Winnie the Pooh

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”
― Winnie the Pooh

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Long time no see Joe. Glad to have you back.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."

- Henry David Thoreau

"Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you."

- Jesus

"You are the greatest temple in the universe; God is within you.

- Matshona Dhliwayo

"You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul."

- Swami Vivekananda

Just a few of my own favorites.

edit on 6/26/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Originally posted by GoShredAK
Loving this thread

Thanks for posting. I'm not even through yet but I'm already in a better mood here at work just from reading the first few.

Thanks…glad your enjoying the quotes…

I tried to put them in a sensibly order, so that the understanding and overall feel would flow more easily...

Funny thing is, I totally forgot about Krishna (Face Palm lol)

- JC

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
#'em if they can't take a joke.
J.R."Bob"Dobbs

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Okay, now I find someone of my favourites you missed, to give me the pleasure

"A difficulty, not unknown to recent philosophy,
occurrcd as to the relation of infinites to one another,
WhateverIs an element of the infinite must be infinite
also ; hence both earths and suns are infinite in number.
But the infinity of the former, is not greater
than that of the latter ; nor, where all are inhabited, are
the inhabitants in greater proportion to the infinite than
the stars themselves, Each sun is surrounded by
several earths or planets, but the one class is not greater
in respect of its infinite than the other. A single sun,
earth, constellation, is not really a part of the infinite nor
a part in It, for it can bear no proportion to it.
A thousand infinities are not more than two or three, and even one
is not comprehensible by finite numbers.
In the innumerable and the immeasurable there is no place for
more or less, few or many, nor for any distinctions of -
number or measure."

-Giordano Bruno

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Thanks for those…I’ve never even heard of Matshona Dhliwayo or Swami Vivekananda but, I really like those 2 quotes…(adding to favourites list)

I was gona do my favourite spiritual philosophers and scientist quotes too, but thought I had enough already…

I noticed that Henry David Thoreau quote on your signature too, is that your favourite quote…?

How do you see that quote…do you think it’s about seeing the perfection and pureness in all things…? Our frame of mind and perspective etc…

- JC

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
"And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Egoismyname

Originally posted by Egoismyname

"A difficulty, not unknown to recent philosophy,
occurrcd as to the relation of infinites to one another,
WhateverIs an element of the infinite must be infinite
also ; hence both earths and suns are infinite in number.
But the infinity of the former, is not greater
than that of the latter ; nor, where all are inhabited, are
the inhabitants in greater proportion to the infinite than
the stars themselves, Each sun is surrounded by
several earths or planets, but the one class is not greater
in respect of its infinite than the other. A single sun,
earth, constellation, is not really a part of the infinite nor
a part in It, for it can bear no proportion to it.
A thousand infinities are not more than two or three, and even one
is not comprehensible by finite numbers.
In the innumerable and the immeasurable there is no place for
more or less, few or many, nor for any distinctions of -
number or measure."

-Giordano Bruno

YEAH!!!…. Now you’re talking my kind of language…These are the quotes I’m looking for…

Awesome…Thank you…

- JC

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I'd say it's one of my favorites, it says a lot with very few words.

I think it means to "see" the whole picture, don't just "look" at certain aspects of it.

If you "look" at something you are only looking at what the light bounces off of, but what you "see" is light itself.

Basically you should see the whole picture instead of singling out pieces of it. If you look at a mountain you are not seeing the rest of the landscape surrounding it.

Putting it in a spiritual light it means to open your mind, don't keep it closed off from new ideas.

Another good one, your science/philosopher comment made me think of it.

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”

- Werner Heisenberg
edit on 6/26/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecroft
a reply to: GoShredAK

Originally posted by GoShredAK
Loving this thread

Thanks…glad your enjoying the quotes…

I tried to put them in a sensibly order, so that the understanding and overall feel would flow more easily...

- JC

ya it's nice having all these quotes in one place.

Many of these I would have gone my whole life without reading.

I plan on keeping this thread in my mind for whenever I need some inspiration.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I'd say it's one of my favorites, it says a lot with very few words.

I think it means to "see" the whole picture, don't just "look" at certain aspects of it.

If you "look" at something you are only looking at what the light bounces off of, but what you "see" is light itself.

Basically you should see the whole picture instead of singling out pieces of it. If you look at a mountain you are not seeing the rest of the landscape surrounding it.

Putting it in a spiritual light it means to open your mind, don't keep it closed off from new ideas.

Yeah that makes sense. The quote reminds of this book I read a long time ago, about trying to perfect the memory. One chapter in the book talked about how people see things, but they don’t really observe them properly.

Like they might see a jacket someone was wearing, but they didn’t see how many pockets there were, are what the shapes of the buttons were etc…just some little things missed…because they didn’t observe…as the book put it…

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”

- Werner Heisenberg

That’s a great quote…love it…

These are two of my favourite quotes from Philosophy and science…

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

Søren Kierkegaard

“Any fool can know, the point is to understand”

Albert Einstein

And I just discovered this a few months ago; very powerful words, describing the indescribable…

“As long as I can remember I feel I have had this great creative and spiritual force within me that is greater than faith, greater than ambition, greater than confidence, greater than determination, greater than vision. It is all these combined. My brain becomes magnetized with this dominating force which I hold in my hand.”

“Whether it is the godhead or not, I feel this great force, this untapped power, this dynamic something within me. This feeling defies description, and there is no experience with which this feeling may be compared. It is something like a strong emotion mixed with faith, but a lot stronger.”

Bruce Lee

- JC

edit on 26-6-2016 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Most people are passive observers, they only look at the world, but some (such as you and I in my opinion) actually see the world for what it is, divine light. We play a more active role by being aware of ourselves and what others are aa well.

Most people look at what's inside the image of light, some see the image of light for what it is, the image of God and what everything holds together within. The eternal fire that burns within every living thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I hope to see you stick around because there has been a severe lack of spiritual discussion on these boards lately, it's mostly politics these days unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
My master, Mooji told a small funny analogy concerning the understanding of oneness: paraphrase-

There is this book, and in one of the chapters, there's a discussion happening between the two main characters. Mr. A, discovering he was going to die in chapter 6 asked Mr. B if there was a way he could live at least 5 more chapters.......and if so, how he would accomplish this without the author finding out.-

Mooji chuckles.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I hope to see you stick around because there has been a severe lack of spiritual discussion on these boards lately, it's mostly politics these days unfortunately.

Politics nooooo…has it come to THIS!!! lol…Politics is just such a Grind…

Yeah, I plan on sticking around for a while, but haven’t Akragon, Veteren of the Human Specie, Windword, and Bizzy Wigs (hey, I didn’t invent the names lol) been keeping the spiritual fire alive around here…and yourself of course…?

- JC

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join