It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FSB raids 14 Scientology offices in Russia in money laundering probe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

That's right. I kind of forgot about that.

I remember reading something about how some Scientology members had "infiltrated" the IRS quite some time ago. Makes you wonder what they dug up about who.

I don't think having 2,500 filed lawsuits against them would be enough though. It's harrassment and a pain, but enough for the IRS to, basically, run and hide?
edit on 2662016 by TerryDon79 because: Autocorrect

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Seriously though, the overwhelming amount of lawsuits definitely contributed but there had to be something much larger at play.

Even if they had 'dirt' on someone(s) that was 20+ years ago, administrations change, they were just overwhelmed by the plethora of lawsuits. It was very costly for the government to counter all of them.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So they got tax exempt status by overwhelming the IRS with lawsuits?

I find it hard to believe that's the only reason. Call it the conspiracy side of me lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

That is what the articles and documentaries all report. It has been long enough that even if they had something on someone that person is no longer in the government.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Even if they had 'dirt' on someone(s) that was 20+ years ago, administrations change, they were just overwhelmed by the plethora of lawsuits. It was very costly for the government to counter all of them.

But when you say it like that it sounds so uninteresting!

Between the Remote Viewing program at SRI and Operation Snow White, the church had amassed an entire library of state secrets. Individual people were probably targeted as well for blackmail & bribery but it would have been very easy for the church to disseminate national secrets to the public, and do it effectively.

But who knows? FOIA probably wouldn't help here.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That is what the articles and documentaries all report. It has been long enough that even if they had something on someone that person is no longer in the government.

Maybe it wasn't information about a person, but an organisation?

I don't know. Just speculations.

I still find it strange that after 20+ years they're still tax exempt if they have no information to bargain with, so to speak. Surely they would have lost it when the positions got changed?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I don't think you can request information under the FOIA to the IRS, can you?
edit on 2662016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Exactly! They had extensive catalogues of cold war military psy ops, for one. Those would be pretty damning even if they were released today. Ironically, much of it has been declassified but who knows how much still remains classified.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

But when you say it like that it sounds so uninteresting!

Uninteresting but effective. You hit someone in the pocket and they take notice quickly.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Maybe, but even then, whoever was operating in that organization is gone. I seriously think the IRS should revoke their tax exempt status.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Maybe, but even then, whoever was operating in that organization is gone. I seriously think the IRS should revoke their tax exempt status.

But if it was/is a government organisation, then it wouldn't matter who was operating it as it would be the governments responsibility.

I do agree though. They shouldn't be tax exempt and it should be revoked post haste.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

But if it was/is a government organisation, then it wouldn't matter who was operating it as it would be the governments responsibility.

I am skeptical they uncovered anything that would damage the Federal Government more that it has already damaged itself.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Yea but you never know.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yea but you never know.

I think the rumors would have leaked out, particularly with some of the more prominent former members.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The Federal Security Service has conducted 14 simultaneous raids on the Church of Scientology offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg. It seized documents that could shed light on the organization’s illegal financial dealings in Russia.

The simultaneous raid across the two cities follow the November 2015 court decision in Moscow that ruled that the Church of Scientology did not comply with federal laws on freedom of religion, as it used its trademark for financial gain.

FSB raids 14 Scientology offices in Russia in money laundering probe

And the score is...

Russia: 1
Scientology: 0

/endgame

Raids on Tuesday were carried out as part of the ongoing investigation into the organization’s alleged money laundering activities, and in particular into one member of the community, who is being probed over allegations of real estate fraud, that amounted to 130 million rubles ($2 million), according to RIA sources.

In April, authorities detained Ekaterina Zaborskikh for allegedly stealing large sums from apartment buyers in St. Petersburg. Investigators believe that between 2012 and 2014 Zaborskikh through a construction company promised to build “affordable castles,” which were never delivered. Instead, the money was redirected through the Church of Scientology as donations. Detectives believe that some of the stolen funds were transferred to the organization’s account in Moscow.

Russia has accused Scientology of misrepresenting itself as a religion and using its trademark for capital gain.

The ruling backed by the Justice Ministry said that since the Church of Scientology had registered its name as a US trademark, it can’t call itself a religious entity. As the Russian court banned the activities of the Moscow branch, the organization threatened to appeal the decision claiming that it violates the rights of its parishioners.

See? I told you.

Looking for more evidence into the financial activity of the group, on Tuesday the FSB “conducted simultaneous searches” at 14 addresses in Moscow and St Petersburg.

During the raids the security services seized “objects and documents” confirming that the church’s agents in St. Petersburg offered goods and services in violation of Russian law, the FSB said in a press release. The property seized in the raids includes financial documents, hard drives and notebooks of organization members, a source in the security service told RIA.

Such illegal activity, the FSB said, was carried out at an inter-regional level. While the investigation continues, authorities have launched a criminal case into the “illegal entrepreneurial activity” of the church’s members.

Religious freedom only applies to religions, not ponzi schemes. Putin clearly isn't a fan of Dianetics.

Scientologists receive revenue by providing “consultation services” in fields such as education, “without any official registration,” therefore evading taxes, a source in the security services told RIA.

And yet they still manage to pull the wool over the eyes of the IRS in the states. Still!

Spokesperson for the Church, Nataliya Alekseeva, has condemned the raids, saying the Scientologists are “outraged by the position of the investigating authorities.” The representative stressed that the organization is working “for the good of the country” by sending out its members to tackle the social problems of the country.

The Scientology church was founded in the United States in 1954 by science-fiction writer L Ron Hubbard. Over the years, the organization has attracted the rich and the powerful, including movie stars Tom Cruise and John Travolta. The organization was awarded the status of religious organization in the US in 1993 and has gained various levels of recognition, enjoying tax exemption status across the world.

I wanted to have something articulate to say about this one but I haven't slept in two days and the video pretty much speaks for itself.

However, I will add that unlike the US, many other nations across the world such as Russia & Australia are actively engaged in an attempt to revoke their tax exemption status.

Australia vs Scientology

Otherwise, just grab some popcorn and watch the video. Let me know what you think and we will have a dialogue before the squirrels show up.

Ah, the FSB will get to the bottom of things. The FSB is an agency that no one wants to cross. Their definition of political correctness is not the limp wristed version of the Western world. If the Russians are announcing this, there were no payoffs and the prosecution will go forward. I'm sure that the miscreants will respond well to interrogation at Lubyanka. If Scientology has to admit it is a business in Russia, how can it not be a business in other countries? Miscavige will abandon his followers but they will confess that it is a business.

I note that Miscavige is wearing many ribbons from his heroic military service and has promoted himself to Captain. He has Dress Blue uniforms in addition to choker whites. If I had more time, I'd see what those ribbons were for and if their precedence was correct but this no-load Dilbert midget isn't worth the effort.

www.xenu.net...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

That's a good point and something I didn't think about.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I note that Miscavige is wearing many ribbons from his heroic military service and has promoted himself to Captain. He has Dress Blue uniforms in addition to choker whites. If I had more time, I'd see what those ribbons were for and if their precedence was correct but this no-load Dilbert midget isn't worth the effort.

I read that Tom Cruise modeled his character in A Few Good Men (naval officer) after the real life David Miscavige. What's funny about that is that I don't think David Miscavige was ever even in the Navy. LRH was, though.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If I am not mistaken ,I think I first heard of this issue with the apartment fraud from one of the Joe publics at one of Putins marathon addresses to questions he does every now and again .There was no hint linking it to Scientology at the time and that would make sense ....Putin also created a kind of task force of plain public people to get to the bottom of grievances ,bypassing the normal corrupt gate keepers so I suspect that we will see more of this kind of house cleaning in the future ....Russia is becoming a beacon to the west and all that are watching ....keep up the great work Russia ..

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Im gonna enjoy the show when they do the same in the US.

Tick, tock.
- Time is up

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

What's funny about that is that I don't think David Miscavige was ever even in the Navy. LRH was, though.

Hubbard's Naval career was marred by incompetence and substandard performance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join