It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FSB raids 14 Scientology offices in Russia in money laundering probe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The Federal Security Service has conducted 14 simultaneous raids on the Church of Scientology offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg. It seized documents that could shed light on the organization’s illegal financial dealings in Russia.

The simultaneous raid across the two cities follow the November 2015 court decision in Moscow that ruled that the Church of Scientology did not comply with federal laws on freedom of religion, as it used its trademark for financial gain.

FSB raids 14 Scientology offices in Russia in money laundering probe

And the score is...

Russia: 1
Scientology: 0

/endgame

Raids on Tuesday were carried out as part of the ongoing investigation into the organization’s alleged money laundering activities, and in particular into one member of the community, who is being probed over allegations of real estate fraud, that amounted to 130 million rubles ($2 million), according to RIA sources.

In April, authorities detained Ekaterina Zaborskikh for allegedly stealing large sums from apartment buyers in St. Petersburg. Investigators believe that between 2012 and 2014 Zaborskikh through a construction company promised to build “affordable castles,” which were never delivered. Instead, the money was redirected through the Church of Scientology as donations. Detectives believe that some of the stolen funds were transferred to the organization’s account in Moscow.

Russia has accused Scientology of misrepresenting itself as a religion and using its trademark for capital gain.

The ruling backed by the Justice Ministry said that since the Church of Scientology had registered its name as a US trademark, it can’t call itself a religious entity. As the Russian court banned the activities of the Moscow branch, the organization threatened to appeal the decision claiming that it violates the rights of its parishioners.

See? I told you.

Looking for more evidence into the financial activity of the group, on Tuesday the FSB “conducted simultaneous searches” at 14 addresses in Moscow and St Petersburg.

During the raids the security services seized “objects and documents” confirming that the church’s agents in St. Petersburg offered goods and services in violation of Russian law, the FSB said in a press release. The property seized in the raids includes financial documents, hard drives and notebooks of organization members, a source in the security service told RIA.

Such illegal activity, the FSB said, was carried out at an inter-regional level. While the investigation continues, authorities have launched a criminal case into the “illegal entrepreneurial activity” of the church’s members.

Religious freedom only applies to religions, not ponzi schemes. Putin clearly isn't a fan of Dianetics.

Scientologists receive revenue by providing “consultation services” in fields such as education, “without any official registration,” therefore evading taxes, a source in the security services told RIA.

And yet they still manage to pull the wool over the eyes of the IRS in the states. Still!

Spokesperson for the Church, Nataliya Alekseeva, has condemned the raids, saying the Scientologists are “outraged by the position of the investigating authorities.” The representative stressed that the organization is working “for the good of the country” by sending out its members to tackle the social problems of the country.

The Scientology church was founded in the United States in 1954 by science-fiction writer L Ron Hubbard. Over the years, the organization has attracted the rich and the powerful, including movie stars Tom Cruise and John Travolta. The organization was awarded the status of religious organization in the US in 1993 and has gained various levels of recognition, enjoying tax exemption status across the world.

I wanted to have something articulate to say about this one but I haven't slept in two days and the video pretty much speaks for itself.

However, I will add that unlike the US, many other nations across the world such as Russia & Australia are actively engaged in an attempt to revoke their tax exemption status.

Australia vs Scientology

Otherwise, just grab some popcorn and watch the video. Let me know what you think and we will have a dialogue before the squirrels show up.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I don't usually applaud the FSB, but every once in a while....

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Oh look! Another case of Scientology committing fraud and money laundering.

When are people going to realise that Scientology is nothing but a con?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well , there may be hope for Russia yet. NM the good old US of A. Sunk down the cesspool too far now.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Russia picked a team, what happened?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Maybe when our governments collaborate and simultaneously revoke their tax exemption status in every nation they reside... That might be a good start.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Be nice Terrance, they even have their own Navy:

link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Maybe when our governments collaborate and simultaneously revoke their tax exemption status in every nation they reside... That might be a good start.

The UK and some other countries refuse to recognise them as a religion already. They still manage to squirm their way in to other countries to defraud them though.

"Scientology. The one religion you pay a fortune for "enlightenment" that anyone with a brain can Google"
Terry - 2016

link   

Religious freedom only applies to religions, not ponzi schemes. Putin clearly isn't a fan of Diabetics.

Scientologists receive revenue by providing “consultation services” in fields such as education, “without any official registration,” therefore evading taxes, a source in the security services told RIA.

There it is, don't you guys in Russia get it, the bu$ine$$ of religion is standard procedure in the west.

I bet they also have issues with the 'interviews' that are really interrogations to catalog everything about you.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You want to know something funny? I hear David Miscavige is actually shorter than Tom Cruise! As if that could be possible...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You mean the navy that they say isn't a navy, but a "research vessel"?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

You want to know something funny? I hear David Miscavige is actually shorter than Tom Cruise! As if that could be possible...

That's what she said.

Oh, wait, you meant height. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Now, now. Be nice or the SeaOrg will show up and make you lick the toilets as punishment like they did in the HBO documentary.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Now, now. Be nice or the SeaOrg will show up and make you lick the toilets as punishment like they did in the HBO documentary.

What a are they going to do? Strap me to an e-meter and ask me stupid questions?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What a are they going to do? Strap me to an e-meter and ask me stupid questions?

Not until you cough up about $10,000 for books and other 'educational' material.

Hail Xenu!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"Scientology. The one religion you pay a fortune for "enlightenment" that anyone with a brain can Google"
Terry - 2016

Nice!

You know, it really makes me wonder, too. With technology and the internet and social media and everything, how do these new recruits react when they google Scientology and click the News tab? Even Anonymous has disseminated their higher OT levels to the public. Anyone with a smart phone can see the heaping pile of corruption that is Scientology.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

....how do these new recruits react when they google Scientology and click the News tab?

I am not a huge schadenfreude person but I love, love, love when bad things happen to this scummy organization.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not until you cough up about $10,000 for books and other 'educational' material.

Hail Xenu!!!

Plus the "initiation fee".

I've got better things to spend my money on (alcohol, fish tanks and cars) rather than enlisting in a fake l, fraudulent "religion".

(Religion in "'s because they just aren't)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

But it makes sooooo much sense. DC-8's dropping souls in volcanos and then nuking them. Total friggin sense.

Yeah, stick with your magic fish multiplying guy who sent himself here to get killed, give me Xenu any day of the week.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Terry - 2016

With technology and the internet and social media and everything, how do these new recruits react when they google Scientology and click the News tab?

They deny it and pretend it doesn't exist. That's what they get told to do. Anything anti-Scientology is "purely propaganda to divert away from true enlightenment".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join