It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Democrat who opposed welfare fraud measure indicted – for food stamp fraud

page: 1

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:14 PM
Here we have an Arizona State representative that has been indicted for food stamp fraud.

Representative Cecilia Velasquez actually voted against a bill that made it easier for authorities to catch fraudsters.

Can't understand what made her do it?

The total was only $1700 over 2 years.

But I bet she was involved deeper and with many people and that part hasn't been caught yet (unless she sang and they can't release the info yet).

Dem who opposed welfare fraud measure indicted – for food stamp fraud

An Arizona Democratic lawmaker who once voted against welfare fraud protections in her state has been indicted on felony charges of defrauding the food stamp program.

According to the indictment unsealed earlier this week, state Rep. Cecilia Velasquez was charged with three felony counts: unlawful use of food stamps, fraudulent schemes and practices, and theft.

The Arizona Department of Economic Security began investigating Velasquez in 2014. According to the Arizona DES, Velasquez fraudulently used $1,726 worth of food stamps between 2013 and 2015.

This past February, Velasquez had voted against a bill aimed at giving the same state agency stronger anti-fraud tools – a program that could have quickly detected her alleged fraudulent activity.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:32 PM
Guess Crooked Hillary will have to take her off her V.P. short list.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:33 PM
a reply to: xuenchen

I wonder if she also opposed voter ID laws?

This should be a good reminder for everyone that corrupt people are running things and it is a time for a change.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:40 PM

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Guess Crooked Hillary will have to take her off her V.P. short list.

I knew that name sounded familiar !!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:29 AM
Well, she claims she is simply a victim of a witch hunt.

Velasquez did not return calls from The Republic seeking comment. But shortly after the indictment was announced, a statement was posted to her Twitter account: “I have done nothing wrong! This is a political witch hunt. I’m confident that justice WILL prevail once all the facts are known!”

But I'm likely to agree with this:

“The indictment of State Rep. Velasquez is the culmination of an extensive multi-year investigation. The forthcoming judicial proceedings will ensure due process for the involved parties,” he said in a statement.

The article says they were 'tipped off' in 2014. Does it seriously take that long to investigate a crime such as this?

Fortunately, she filed papers with the Arizona Secretary of State’s Office on Friday to remove her name from the ballot for re-election, according to FB, also found this on FB:

Arizona Department of Economic Security officials charged state representative CECILIA VELASQUEZ with theft, fraud and unlawful use of food stamps on Wednesday. She is set to appear in court on July 5. It's unclear if she has a lawyer ready to represent her and speak on her behalf. Officials involved in the investigation allege that Velasquez falsely said that she had two dependents, gave a fake address and let two other people use the food stamp benefit card she had.

But she has more troubles:

Velasquez, an Arizona native and paralegal, was elected to the Legislature in 2014. Her political career began amid controversy, when it was discovered there was an outstanding warrant for her arrest for $2,000 in unpaid court fines stemming from charges of driving on a suspended license and without insurance.

edit on 26-6-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 02:41 AM
a reply to: StoutBroux

It isn't always about seeing where the money comes and goes. But you have to establish motive, show opportunity, gather a ton more evidence, and then you have to start actually investigating.

Sometimes a simple investigation like this isn't so simple.

new topics

top topics