It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite concept albums.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I love concept albums. There's some great ones already listed. King Crimson had some really good concept albums, as well. It looks like most of their original versions are blocked on youtube, but I did find this:

If you have a week to spare, you can check out this very detailed (and very 90s) website that attempts to dissect the first four albums with a microscope. It is a pretty interesting read, though if you like the albums.

Promenade The Puzzle

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: denybedoomed

Two quite related albums that to me are "concept" albums:

The final cut by Pink Floyd.

The pros and cons of hitchhiking by Roger Waters.

The interesting thing about these two is that Roger Waters just absolutely CANNOT sing but these two albums are nothing but Roger Waters trying to sing (mostly) and they STILL work amazingly well. Amused To Death is far better than Pros & Cons though (IMO). I'd have to say it's an even tie between ATD and TFC, though.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Since my favorites were already mentioned I'll throw out one that was important to me during a chapter in my young life.
The Mars Volta-Deloused in The Comatorium
About a man in a drug induced coma who is dealing with the evil part of his psyche. They were an amazing live band and, at the time, I thought they were the future of rock and roll.

a reply to: intrptr
When I first read the thread title, those two albums immediately came to mind.
God bless Keith Moon.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Gotta agree. I still have the original album, along with many others of theirs. Also still got original Molly Hatchet. They had great cover art.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Man I freaking LOVE The Mars Volta, and I can't believe I didn't include that.
Saw them in Denver after Frances, good lord.

a reply to: slowisfast

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

(Can't seem to post the vid. Oh well.)

edit on 25-6-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I am definitely going to check that link out. I loved In The Court of The Crimson King. Thank you for this. a reply to: notquiteright

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin is a really big album for me. As is Yoshimi. . .

My friends just saw them perform The Soft Bulletin in it's entirety at Red Rocks. I was green, man.

a reply to: TunedAgent

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Bjork-Medulla
Rihanna-Anti

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This might fit the ticket
www.youtube.com...
They played L A's Sunset clubs like Whisky a Go Go, the Roxy, Pandora's Box, London Fog, the Troubadour and more. Pandora's Box being pretty notorious at that juncture of time...
edit on 25-6-2016 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Groovy!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

Right on.
I was never a ATDI fan but they were playing the Showbox in '03 and after my buddy gave me a copy of Tremulant I knew I had to see them. Show was so high energy it took me a day to come down. Omar's guitar riffs sound like they're straight up from outer space!

Also... love NMH!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

My friend was just in NY to a ln ATDI show. With all the original members, they cancelled after an hour. Cedric was probably too strung out. You like Portugal. The Man?

ETA: When I saw the Volta we were pretty close and I swear Omar turned onto Gumby while simultaneously murdering his guitar. The man is insane.

edit on 25-6-2016 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Kansas - Song for America album

Bowie - Earthling album

edit on 25/6/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
as a side note, I love playing The Mars Volta at the bar. especially their old stuff, it comes on the jukebox and no one knows what the hell is happening through four minutes of strange feedback. gotta shake em up.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

(Can't seem to post the vid. Oh well.)

Mine too!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Haujobb "New World March" -(Album Playlist)

Kraftwerk "Computer World -Full Album

edit on 26-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: youtube didn't work.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Deloused is my favorite without question. I think it's easily one of the top concept albums ever. I've spent so much time studying it. The weird thing about the Mars Volta though is I say that, but in the next breath could say it's not even their best album. Frances the Mute is perfection. It's like Pink Floyd's Animals... I always have to hear the whole album every time from start to finish. Preferably in a dark, smoke filled room. I'll always argue Animals is their best offering, too.

Great thread!

Another underrated venture would be Coheed and Cambria's stuff. Good Apollo 1 is particularly brilliant. As far as more modern stuff...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join