It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite concept albums.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
After participating in a very long running music thread here, I got to thinking, "What are some of the best concept albums?" And I'd like to see what you guys think. There are plenty of examples of concept albums. From Wikipedia: "a collection of discrete but thematically unified songs whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts ... sometimes [erroneously] assumed to be a product of the rock era."

Now there are quite a few examples of a concept album. such as The Wall by Pink Floyd, or The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust And the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie. So I'm curious to see if my fellow members have come across any they particularly like. I'll start off by naming two that I believe are amazing examples of a concept album.

First off is the album Deltron 3030 by Del the Funky Homosapien.

The group's debut album Deltron 3030, released on October 17, 2000, is a concept album set in the year 3030 that tells of the fight by Deltron Zero (Del's alter ego) against huge corporations that rule the universe. The lyrics were written in less than two weeks and are characterized by extravagant allusions to futuristic outer-space themes in the tradition of Afrofuturist works by Sun Ra and George Clinton. Many samples originated with the contemporary French classical composer William Sheller.

This is one of the best hip hop albums i've ever heard, and i'm not a huge fan of the genre. It is an insane journey through a dystopian future told by Deltron Zero. I think many members would like this album just because of the clever terminology and whacky futuristic themes, even if you don't like rap . . . The way the man rhymes and flows is ingenious. If you haven't heard it, you may recognize him from that Gorillaz song Clint Eastwood . . .

"It's the year 3030, and here at the corporate institutional bank of time, we find ourselves reflecting, finding out, that we came back. we were always coming back . . . "

Another favorite of mine is Happy Hollow by Cursive

The album revolves around a small, upper class, God-fearing town of the same name (the name Happy Hollow coming from the affluent Omaha, NE neighborhood surrounding Happy Hollow Blvd). Each track in the album tells a different story of faults that the inhabitants of Happy Hollow portray that seem at odds with the town's "perfect" image. The final track, "Hymns for the Heathen," is an afterword of the album, describing the concepts explored in each of the 14 tracks. The album has many biblical references, reflecting on Kasher's Catholic upbringing.

This album is amazing from start to finish. It deals with the dark underbelly of seemingly quaint little American towns. I highly recommend it.

So ATS what are some of your favorites?

-dbd

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

Not really a favorite, but Quadrophenia by the Who... who can forget Tommy, the pin ball wizard. Deaf dumb and blind kid sure played a mean pin ball.

Not sure if 'concept' strictly speaking, but theres Risky Business, Blade Runner and The Keep, Vangelis and Tangerine Dream did film scores for those movies.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Not to forget
This album contains all the phases of life.

The "leave" group in UK could even have used some of the lyrics in the campain, fits well.. ha

I don't want to talk About the things we've gone through Though it's hurting me Now it's history I've played all my cards And that's what you've done too Nothing more to say No more ace to play The winner takes it all The loser standing small Beside the victory That's my destiny

edit on 25-6-2016 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Two quite related albums that to me are "concept" albums:

The final cut by Pink Floyd.

The pros and cons of hitchhiking by Roger Waters.

And one that, while not technically a concept album, in my opinion qualifies due to the musical relationship between sides A and B.

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Without a doubt my favourite concept album is Rush 2112.

Just awesome.

A very close second is Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Roger at his lyrical best.

a reply to: Jonjonj

edit on 25-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Damn, you beat me to it.

2112's my favourite too.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Beach boy's pet sounds,and Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon..
edit on 25-6-2016 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
All hail Pink Floyd!
Rush's 2112 lived in my cassette player all through high school.

Wanted to add PF The Wall and Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Love these guys. All their albums are themed and flow from one song to the next, spanning multiple genres.

edit on 25-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The wall and genesis selling england by the pound

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
War of the worlds. and Mandala band the Eye of Wendor.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The first ever concept album and also the birth of prog rock.

The first ever rock opera ( came out before The Who's Tommy )

Two of the greatest albums ever produced.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Here is an album that is not often even considered as a concept album. For me it is though, and a wonderful one at that.

An American Prayer: The doors.

What is the concept? Jim's poetry of course.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Here is an album that is not often even considered as a concept album. For me it is though, and a wonderful one at that.

An American Prayer: The Doors.

What is the concept? Jim's poetry of course.

Not sure why they used the cover of the soft parade.

Interesting sideline, do a google search for soft parade and see the images lol. Mandela in full effect. hahaha

edit on 25-6-2016 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Endless Summer
Bat out of Hell
Joe's Garage
Dark Side of the Moon

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Without a doubt,

Misplaced Childhood

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
All great responses! Figured I'd see more Floyd in here, and good call on Pet Sounds. Another of my favorites is In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. It's where my avatar picture comes from.

It's an album which essentially centers around Anne Frank. The lead singer of the band wrote the album in a closet whilst believing he was being visited by the ghost of Frank. It's a sprawling album that has crazy themes involving WWII and death and love. And it has singing saws, I can't not like any song that has a singing saw in it.

"The only girl i've ever loved, was born with roses in here eyes. But then they buried her alive one eve in 1945 with just her sister at her side and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone . . . "

Also several albums by MeWithoutYou.

This is such a nice break from all the political posts as of late. Thanks guys.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The Flaming Lips were a good psych band when I listened to them in the 80's and 90's. They kicked it up several notches later with The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi. YMMV.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join