It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition for Second Brexit Referendum Draws 2 Million Signatures

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I was able to witness first hand that setting a voting threshold in a referendum can have effects that are contrary to what you might want, a fair representation of public opinion. During the Dutch referendum (non-binding) about our association treaty with Ukraine, a lot of people for the treaty decided it would be a good idea to stay home in a strategic bid to make sure the threshold of 30% wasn't reached, which was necessary in order for it to be valid. Well, it barely did with 32%, and the treaty was as a result rejected by a resounding 61%, because those against were far more motivated, and some for the treaty did actually bother to show up. The treaty still isn't ratified, and is hardly spoken about anymore, but the Dutch prime minister has no choice.

Point being, you're going to get a side effect of lopsided results because many people out there will try to sabotage the referendum. You're not going to get a fairly balanced and expected result like what you saw here.

As for this one, the leave majority seems to have been reached fair and square. Those who didn't bother to show should've. Cameron has "resigned", Scotland seems to be preparing for another independence vote, Labour is crumbling apart, businesses and banks alike are already taking their own steps, and the EU itself wants to see article 50 activated within days, the aftermath already seems too widespread for it to be reversed... With the world wide attention it's been having, a 2nd referendum would be a really dodgy anti-democratic thing to do. And would piss a lot of people off who are sick and tired of the EU, if they want to get rid of the divide in their country, that is really not the way to do it. If anything you'll fuel distrust and even incite violent reactions.

They made their beds, had ample time to weigh the pros and cons. Lets see where this takes the EU. And the "sting" has already been taken out of the petition attempt and seems fraudulent at best. Even the guardian reported on it. Aside that it has zero chance of being looked or even spoken about seriously.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Surely by massive numbers not voting at all, it’s effectively a forfeit. In the case of the Dutch referendum and looking at some vague numbers again - if we hypothetically increase the turnout from 32% to 50% then “aye” would have needed more than 75% out of that extra 18% (which is probably around 2m people) in order to win. I guess we’ll never know what the result could have been, but it seems obvious they were going to lose anyway.

edit on 1SundaySundayAmerica/Chicago5pmSunday7pm06 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sounds good to me!
and IF they vote stay next time.
we just have a vote again untill 100%....
%&$£ cheats sore losers.

Laber is abandoning ship. comiting treason.
so it is to late for them!
They have show'n they Dont represent the people.

I mean they have said they will give up office.
he is not goning to say that if they have a plan to vote again.
hes made his bed and must now lye in it !

NOT EU but UK
)

edit on 26-6-2016 by buddha because: why not?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

We really don't want totally out of Europe, we want our Democratic right's and OUR nation back
, We want a Government that CARES about our people, that does not cut education making it a class based system only open to the rich kid's and that makes certain we have the HOME GROWN skill's and opportunity's our kid's need NOT give those opportunity's to those from other nation's when our kid's are then left destitute.

SO the vote out was mainly LEFT WING despite the labour party being SEMI pro European and Corbyn for all his flaw's knew this, though he campaigned Half Heartedly to stay in he too saw that our kids are suffering because of Brussel's austerity measure's and of course the Tory's being only too willing to adopt them despite us then being one of the richest nation's in the world.

Guess what most Tory's wanted to stay it, the vote out was the disgruntled, betrayed and disillusioned core LABOUR voter's that made most of the difference and wanted to tell Europe how angry they are over the Austerity policy's.

Why do you think Cameron has resigned?, he is responsible for this and he is the prat that pushed through austerity on our own people taking the Remploy away, shutting down library's and making higher education ever more an opportunity only open to the wealthy all while saying he was doing the opposite, he ran this county with his ape minded friend Osbourn like a south American junta taking away right's and victimising the poor, harming the prospect's of the poorest kid's and taking away there right's in all but name by removing access to legal aid because they wanted England to be a rich man's tax haven.

They did it and they know they did.

Food bank's was the Tory's fault, David Cameron's big society which we know from history does not work and never will so he knew what he was doing.

I say two out of three is the only way to go but it has to be said that the re referendum petition has now passed the 3.5 million mark and is still gaining signature's making it the fastest growing large petition in recent if not all history in the UK parliament so under a democratic system it has to be granted not just considered, if it is not then parliament is acting even more like a dictatorship, this is a democracy after all but it is also being investigated for fraud and people signing it multiple time's so many of those signatory's will be struck off the petition and the final number may fall.

A mixture there. But there is a remind for people re the petition, the petition owner has come full blank to say that he did it with the intention that that the 'Leave' side would lose in almost the same percentages in reverse to what actually occurred. Now he claims that the remain side has hi-jacked it, which it clearly hasn't going by the wording.

However, something you cannot ignore, UKIP leader Nigel Farage said back in May that there would need to be a rerun of a referendum if the figures are as close as, 52 to 48 percent in favour of 'Remain' I'm sure he regrets that now given this petition, which I'm sure now??? was driven by UKIP sympathies while the only question left was when it actually started...which is supposedly the 24th of this month, while the petitioner says a month ago. So something is not right, and someone is screwing the truth, while bearing in mind that this petition is on a government website.

Good post BTW.

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

So something is not right, and someone is screwing the truth, while bearing in mind that this petition is on a government website.

I've suspected that since first hearing about this petition. What concerns me is that with the vote being so close, and with there being such strong sentiments on both sides of the issue, will the UK have the will as Cameron put it, to steer the ship on it's course? He certainly didn't, and good riddance I say, but who is going to step up and steer the said ship? Not the buffoon Borris surely?

I can see a few things going belly up and lots of people demanding a re-vote, especially with all the noise in the media being made about how it was the wrong decision. However as things are the UK can begin to prosper again, but it will need a vigilant people and a visionary Government. So far I haven't seen that from anyone in any of the political party's. It's more like a dog and pony show, it's that vacuum that needs plugging really.

we'll see..

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mammoth
And the "sting" has already been taken out of the petition attempt and seems fraudulent at best. Even the guardian reported on it. Aside that it has zero chance of being looked or even spoken about seriously.

You do know then that the petition was actually created by someone who was expecting a 'leave' defeat.

Now who would that possibly be?

Well the only one that I can think of is Nigel Farage back in mid May, in fact he used the same percentages as the petition, 48% 'leave' 52% 'remain' in his remark,

Nigel Farage said back in May that 52-48 win for the Remain side in the EU referendum would be “unfinished business”.

In an interview with the Mirror the Ukip leader said such a narrow margin would prompt him to fight for a second referendum.
He said: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

Nigel ain't saying nuttin' now, is he ??

Just shows you how crooked our politicians are.
In the meantime Boris is crapping himself because he also thought his, 'leave' campaign would be a loser, hoping for even better deals from Brussels, while the migrant thingy, was really meant to be a side issue..now he is in the limelight as a possible Prime Minister...OMG!
Thing is referendums are the pits in general, this one was diabolical with all the hyper deceit by politicians on both sides, it's totally wrecked what was left of government credibility....it's probably wrecked government itself anyway for a long time to come, and half the country think that they will have their 'Sovereign parliament' back again, so's the people will have a bigger say. Truth is, no they won't, it will be straight back to the sleaze...with a vengeance.
To add, it has to be looked at according to the number of bona fida petitioners over 100,000, and that is cofirmed easily by the local MPs who carry their area numbers.

edit on 27-6-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

In the voting booths, they provided pencils. Ones vote could be erased.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: blupblup

In the voting booths, they provided pencils. Ones vote could be erased.

I have never seen a pencil erasure which was not detectable.

Neither did any of my elementary school teachers. Dammit.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
So just a day after those that voted for the Brexit were celebrating the result, there is now a petition with 2 million signatures for a second referendum. It only needs 100,000 signatures to be considered in parliment, so will there be a second referendum? Will all those that supposedly feel bad after voting for leave, now switch and vote to remain in second referendum?

So the sore losers keep wanting to have referendums until they win.... if they held another one and the "stay" vote won, would they then hold yet another one to see if anyone changed their mind? Then keep holding them?
edit on 28-6-2016 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Never the less, I took my own pen and offered to lend it to following voters. They had their own.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Willtell

In the light of the devastating effect of the worlds markets by the BREXIT of

Devastating? That's a bit of an exaggeration. A reaction surely, but Monday will be interesting.

Here I'm with you.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Your optomistic attitude is admirable. I've never signed an official document with a pencil...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Petitions Committee have said the Brexit petition will be debated in the House on September 5th.

In a statement, the House of Commons Petitions Committee said a debate on the petition would allow MPs to "put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents" and a government minister would respond to the points raised. But it said: "A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won't end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum... "It will be up to the government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum."
www.bbc.co.uk...

As the new PM has said Brexit means Brexit the debate will just be a formality and the result will stand.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If Brexit polling happens again, I am sure Britain will not leave EU.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join