It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratically Elected MP Calls For Parliament To Ignore Democracy.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What ?

David Lammy MP voted to Parliament through the democratic process is to ask Parliament to vote against The U.K. leaving The E.U.

This is scandalous behaviour. Lammy is happy for democracy to enable him to become an MP but not happy for the people who chose to leave The E.U. to use that same process.

At the next General Election Lammy should be deselected.

labourlist.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Never more true "You cannot keep moving the goal posts because your side lost".

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, it's inevitable.

Question is whether MPs debate to carry out the will of the people. It would certainly flush out the MPs who have lost touch.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You seem to think democracy exists? Especially in Western Europe the majority vote of the people is actively denied, buried, fought. If you are not politically correct and supporting the EU, you are a filthy nazi or an uneducated Untermensch. Both have to be shunned and buried.
Wake up. Everything about the EU is forced. If you do no support it, you are punished.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

"Party, we are free!" seems a bit precipitous now, doesn't it?
All the media rumours and the social media response.
I heard such an important decision needs 75% of all citizens to vote? How many voted? 72%?
Maybe we can all agree this was a big shock and fall back on a trading union? More flexible European Union?
The continent definitely has to agree on a united border control, but that's maybe really no British issue.

And I also think a second referendum isn't a bad idea.

a reply to: Sheesh

And that's bs! Countries are following the calls of neoliberalism that's the problem.
Blaming the eu for national problems, is another problem.
You are right though some are so stuck in their national pride #, they simply aren't ready for more than a trading union. I just hope that changes before climate change causes the south of Spain and Italy to turn to dust.

edit on 25-6-2016 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

There is a global epidemic of this behavior by officials all over the world, and all people everywhere need to keep the pressure on them or the world will drown in iniquity.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

All I can say is, that if he is serious about this, then this is pretty much the moment that those of us wanting a real government by and for the people, have been waiting for.

I WANT parliament to show the public, that their will counts for nothing as long as we have no system to force our MPs to accept majority decisions. In the last general election held in this nation, only about a third of people voted at all. In any fair society, that would be considered a vote of no confidence in either or any party, and another election would have to be scheduled, until turnout was better than at least half. And yet we have the Conservatives in power, a group whose reign is nearly always intolerably difficult for the hardest working people in our country, the working poor, who are the true backbone of this nation and without whom it would be starving or dead.

And yet, now, after a turn out much better than the one which saw the government of our nation elected to their various positions, the votes validity has been called into question? Was David Cameron asked to call another election on the back of his last win? No. Goose and gander should be treated alike in the roasting.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The referendum was not a binding one so it'll probably end up being repeated and repeated until we realize that we only have one choice which is to stay in the EU, other options may include deciding to get a bit medieval and getting some rope and axes out and having london bridge look like a set out of game of thrones.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What they should do, before they activate Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, is gather together all of the facts, both the pro's and con's of leaving the EU, including the history of the concept, and then without the politicians getting involved or the political process there, to have the public once again vote, as to leave or stay. And if the clear cut majority, votes in favor, then the representative to the Eu, would then activate and ask for the Article 50 to be iniatiated and start to divest itself from the Eu.

However, there are those in the United Kingdom that are opposed to such, and want to remain in the EU, and that very well may split and divide the United Kingdom up.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

David Lammy is a London based mp. Almost all of London voted stay. He just wants to ignore the picture on a national scale, and must think only London counts.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

"Party, we are free!" seems a bit precipitous now, doesn't it?
All the media rumours and the social media response.
I heard such an important decision needs 75% of all citizens to vote? How many voted? 72%?
Maybe we can all agree this was a big shock and fall back on a trading union? More flexible European Union?
The continent definitely has to agree on a united border control, but that's maybe really no British issue.

a reply to: Sheesh

And that's bs! Countries are following the calls of neoliberalism that's the problem.
Blaming the eu for national problems, is another problem.
You are right though some are so stuck in their national pride #, they simply aren't ready for more than a trading union. I just hope that changes before climate change causes the south of Spain and Italy to turn to dust.

Well, in that case you'd have to look at the original vote to join the EU as well... if not enough people voted back then altogether or if the percentage of pro EU votes wasn't high enough (60%) that would mean that the UK has never legally joined the EU to begin with.
Of course that only applies if you are actually concerned about democracy and not a sneaky way to cicumvent it in order to get the result you like.
I'm pretty sure though, that our glorious antidemocratic politicians will try everything to get it their way.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sirrurg

We entered the EU without any vote what so ever. We were only given a choice after we had been in for two years already, and people knew less about it then than they do now. Lots was kept from them which has since come to light.

Technically, being bought into the EU without the express, and prior permission of the U.K. electorate was illegal, and the PM who presided over that exercise is a traitor according to many of the documents which, together, lay out our rights as a people both individually, and as an electorate collectively.

It's a poor showing all round really.
edit on 25-6-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

i think we should lynch the thick cu£t

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I can see them getting out of this somehow with nearly half of the population agreeing with them.
What do we do If this happens?.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Lefty scum.
I'd like to see the labour party disavow his comments or threaten to withdraw the whip from him unless he apologuses and retracts his statement.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wonder how much the Reich, I mean EU pay him for his Quisling services.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Why?...If we'd voted Remain, would you still think a second referendum was a good idea?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Now, now Sprocket...

I am a massive lefty, but I still know right from wrong. It's not that he's a lefty that is the problem. It's that he's scum. Don't forget that. Left and right, we are all in the same boat!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Remember It still has to pass through parliament, I honestly think Boris thought he would lose everyone did but it was only just short of 2% I can honestly say I think they will reverse the outcome.
I repeat my question what do we do If they reverse it?.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Argyll

It would have to be best out of 3 lol or 5 or 7...

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join