It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunmen take guests hostage after blast at Somalia hotel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Last Updated Jun 25, 2016 11:34 AM EDT

MOGADISHU, Somalia -- A Somali police official says gunmen who stormed a hotel in the country's capital have taken an unknown number of hotel guests hostage.

Capt. Mohamed Hussein says the attackers are throwing grenades and using machine guns to resist security forces who are trying to reach them on the second floor.

Police say the attack Saturday on the Nasa-Hablod hotel in Mogadishu began when a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at its gate, followed by a second explosion heard inside the hotel.

Gunmen take guests hostage after blast at Somalia hotel

Well, the religion of peace is at it again:

Congratulations Radical Islam on your commitment to excellence in the field of killing innocent people...

I wonder if Somalian politicians will stage a sit-in to protest Somali gun legislation....

-Christosterone

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

If they just pass a law against taking hostages they won't take hostages.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Something tells me that this will not get the same coverage as other terrorist attacks.

At least theres no ISIS involvement mentioned, just al qeada, and last i checked they werent 'trending' on Twitter. . So this may not be all over the evening news.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Mogadishu huh? Time to send in the Rangers again, hopefully without any Blackhawks down.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Damn those white Christian men, they're always causing trouble.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
Damn those white Christian men, they're always causing trouble.

People would say that's racist , but I don't because I don't play the race card, because stuff like that goes over my head

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The EU recently cut funding to the AU mission in Somalia. Although not a direct result this could be seen as a preventable action maybe?

EU cuts to AU mission in Somalia

Preventing terrorism in Africa is absolutely vital to stop the spread of fundamentalism there. I wonder if the EU made a mistake?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Whenever I see stories like this about Mogadishu and Somalia, my mind always goes back to "Black Hawk Down" and the pictures of the old Olympic Hotel in the downtown area.

And then, the thought occurs to me................"I wonder, maybe the US should be absolutely "sure" that its nuclear weapons will actually detonate." And then I ask myself............"Hmmmm, where would there be an acceptably remote area to be designated a Nuclear Test Site?"

And then............for some weird reason, the image of the Olympic Hotel in Mogadishu pops into my mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
lol why would you vacation to somalia? hey frodo lets go to the 4 seasons in morodor.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Common sense grenade laws will stop muslim terrorists from ever using them again.
edit on 25-6-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: My mistake. Apparently grenades are already as illlegal as they can possibly be for civillians in Somalia.

edit on 25-6-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

And I believe that no matter how flippant or emotionally motivated, one should never consider the possibility of nuking any nation, leave alone one which is not ruled by dictators, but under as much threat as any other from the evil men who roam it sowing the seed of death.

We are capable of better precision these days, than nuclear weapons allow for, and must strive in our every action, to ensure that only those who sow death, ever have to reap it.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
An ATS search would help you understand why Somalia is still #ed ten years after Christian Ethiopia invaded and destroyed the Islamic Courts Union which had actually stabilized the country, kicked out the warlords with limited fighting and region after region, village after village joined with them without having to battle them. They cleaned up the city, actually reduced and prosecuted the pirates when they retook the ports. Got the airport up and running, facilitated many civic functions and reopened schools, the people actually started to feel normal again.

They even reached out the the UN, the EU, and other international bodies for help with rebuilding a new Somalia. Christian Ethiopia received a nice military aide package that year and decided it was not a good idea to have a stable or peaceful Somalia so they invaded it.

I am certain most will not bother to read or learn any of it though, probably just repeat sound bites and rhetoric. But I will post them here for the few people who actually care to learn why the radicals took over, because the Christians from the north killed the moderates and destroyed all the progress they tried to make for the people.

Somalia: Mogadishu Is Burning
With Enemies Like These, Who Needs Allies?
U.S. secretly backing Somali warlords
US Accused of Funding Somali Militants To Battle Islamic Coalition
Islamic Courts Union Will Provide Security for UN Aid Workers In Somalia
Combat Breaks Out In Somalia; The Imposed Transitional Government Rejects Peace Deal
Islamic Courts Union Seize Final Warlords Stronghold; Foreign Troops To Enter Somalia
Somali fighters warn Western powers

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yea............that's a very time consuming process. How many innocents die while the vetting process is conducted?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

That depends on how much of an ideological argument those selecting the targets have, with not being allowed to murder everything inside a target zone, because it's easier.

Those with a soul intact would probably elect for a methodical approach. Those whose desire to end their fellow human beings as fast and as broadly as possible (which has been shown to be a DRIVER of terrorism, rather than a cure to it), might say otherwise.

No one ever turned terrorist because a psychopath who enjoyed committing sex acts with the decapitated heads of his enemies, was blown away in a precision assault. Plenty of young people in the world have turned terrorist after watching schools, hospitals, and entire villages blown off the map, having to bury the four kilo remains of their fathers, having to scrape the ceilings and the floors and the walls of their homes, just to have something of their mother to put in the ground, or having to collect the body parts of their younger siblings, which have been scattered over a three hundred square yard area.

Think it through. Piecemeal bombing from drones and planes creates more terrorists than it kills, and that is not for debate, it's just how it is. You want rid of terror? Stop letting your government fund it by the back door, and kill only the terrorists. A two pronged assault which will work.
edit on 25-6-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist
You have got to be kidding right??
The Islamic Court Union(ICU) held Mogadishu for a few months....is that the stability to which you refer??
Oh wow, there was a peace from March to June then everyone started killing everyone and the ICU, like all radical Islamic militants, crumbled in an instant because they lack the ability to win against an actual military force...
They can defeat unarmed, peaceful civilians all day long but put the barrel back on them and they blow away like the sand....

Sidenote: I have read some very obtuse takes over the years on ATS but never have I read something so absurd as your waxing poetic of the bygone rule(for a few months) by the ICU..

-Christosterone

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Did they legislate this crime out of existence yet?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Somalia, eh?

So what's new?
Arrrrg, there be pirates!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
An ATS search would help you understand why Somalia is still #ed ten years after Christian Ethiopia invaded and destroyed the Islamic Courts Union which had actually stabilized the country, kicked out the warlords with limited fighting and region after region, village after village joined with them without having to battle them. They cleaned up the city, actually reduced and prosecuted the pirates when they retook the ports. Got the airport up and running, facilitated many civic functions and reopened schools, the people actually started to feel normal again.

They even reached out the the UN, the EU, and other international bodies for help with rebuilding a new Somalia. Christian Ethiopia received a nice military aide package that year and decided it was not a good idea to have a stable or peaceful Somalia so they invaded it.

I am certain most will not bother to read or learn any of it though, probably just repeat sound bites and rhetoric. But I will post them here for the few people who actually care to learn why the radicals took over, because the Christians from the north killed the moderates and destroyed all the progress they tried to make for the people.

Somalia: Mogadishu Is Burning
With Enemies Like These, Who Needs Allies?
U.S. secretly backing Somali warlords
US Accused of Funding Somali Militants To Battle Islamic Coalition
Islamic Courts Union Will Provide Security for UN Aid Workers In Somalia
Combat Breaks Out In Somalia; The Imposed Transitional Government Rejects Peace Deal
Islamic Courts Union Seize Final Warlords Stronghold; Foreign Troops To Enter Somalia
Somali fighters warn Western powers

As a real Christian, thank you for posting Truth, rather than deception. I'm not saying the OP was deceiving - others have though, which is why people don't understand why many of these things happen.

It's unfortunate that most people are only capable of believing what they're told to believe, and only form their "own" opinions if it is the opinion approved of by the Masters they have allowed to shackle them.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but the words "Hotel" and "Somalia" do not belong in the same paragraph, let alone the same subject line!!

In fact, they don't even belong in the same story!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Umm, deception???

The attackers were(as usual) running around screaming "Allahu Akbar".....I'm pretty sure that's to their God and not the rebel leader from Return of The Jedi...

Also, they have officially claimed to be part of the "Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shabaab"....those are their words, not mine...

Judge a killer by his actions and their claim to be radical Islamists is what it is...the truth..

I'm sorry to offend your delicate Christian sensibilities by pointing out these killers are Islamic radicals...

-Christosterone

top topics

<<   2 >>

join