It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media in full spin mode: "British regret voting BREXIT".

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt
a reply to: bigyin

to ignore the majority and undermine the democratic process will not end well.

Right. If you have won the majority of the vote, but not the majority of the people, then there's a problem.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: AMPTAH

Isn't that their fault then ?

Yes, it is their fault.

But, they have the power to correct faults.

Those who voted have been heard , if you don't like the answer then I'm sorry but that's democracy.

Those who voted the first time have been heard. But, democracy doesn't come to an end after any vote.

Democracy is an ongoing concern. People change things all the time, through new democratic actions.

As long as 100,000 people sign a petition. Parliament has to debate it.

You have 2,000,000 signers of this new petition.

Is it right to toss it out, and ignore the democratic rules now?

They can debate it but something like 17,000,000 people voted to leave.
Even if 3,300,000 people (yes it's over 3m now not 2m) want another referendum then it's tough.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this at all, I think this will get way more complex and weird...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

But, they have the power to correct faults.

No , they don't , they have the power to vent their frustrations but that's all it is.

Those who voted the first time have been heard. But, democracy doesn't come to an end after any vote.

Democracy doesn't but the referendum does , the question was asked and answer given.

Is it right to toss it out, and ignore the democratic rules now?

You keep mentioning democracy but seem intent on ignoring democratic process.

edit on 26-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Why even have a vote if the results can be negated by those that lost?

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Nicola Sturgeon says a lot of things , not all of them based in reality.
I've stopped listening to her , same old same old.

ooooohhh a really silly view

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If a petition gets 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for debate in Parliment.

Considered and debate! Nothing else about having a second referendum. Just considered and debated!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Hurky1

Most of the time they just say they saw it, and don't debate it.

When they do debate it, it's usually 20 unknown MPs with nothing better to do with their time. Nothing ever comes of petitions.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

ooooohhh a really silly view

Not really , I hold our politicians in equal disdain.

edit on 26-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
at the end of the day we humans are dumb scared animals

Hannan says those expecting fewer immigrants will be disappointed

If I voted to leave based primarily on these 2 issues I would be furious, I expect many are

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: YarlanZey

The reporters still didn't have the time of day for Brexit even though it had been democratically voted for.

Precisely this. Not only was it being talked down on, it was ignored or used to push hardline narratives which had been obviously arraigned or colluded to in advance by all the networks. I made a post about this and someone ripped into me because I said the media was largely ignoring the issue (as the vote went down and as the markets began reacting).

They then preceded to post a bunch of headlines written 18 hours after the vote. But, that was my point. I had stayed up all night as it went down, but Im a few hours off British time. Britain and the World was reacting to the vote, markets were crashing around the world, and media had nothing much to say on it.

As if they had to coordinate the official narrative. After 5 hours in, and around 9 hours (when it finally picked up steam) there were hundreds of articles pushing, "how does this effect the US election?" "Brexit and Trump." "Trump & Brexit" "Brexit & US elections" "Mistakes in Brexit could error Trump to the Whitehouse" etc, etc, etc

Many news aggregators were still keeping Brexit and market reactions entirely out of their feeds, and blogs and regional news coverage was putting out more stories related to it, which was just bizarre. Eventually all the national news coverage came out, but it came out all at once, in a unified force touting the same official lines (which shouldn't really surprise us at this point).

My first observation post to the situation

and a rebuttal post stating media wasn't ignoring/holding-back or tailoring (conspiring) re:their coverage of it
edit on 26-6-2016 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I see that 234 petitions got a response and only 27 were debated in The House of Commons. Mmmm good luck with that then.

May I point out this... Ebbw Vale with little immigration and perhaps more EU investment than any other UK small town voted by 62% to Leave. Some people just wanted a change.

www.theguardian.com... n/25/view-wales-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Yep...

Brexiter Iain Duncan Smith: "Our promises were a series of possibilities"

"Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result"

Tory MEP Daniel Hannan “Frankly, if people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the EU, they are going to be disappointed.”

To be fair though, if anyone actually believed the propaganda and nonsense spouted by the likes of Farage and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson... then damn, more fool them.
edit on 26/6/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: fakedirt

to ignore the majority and undermine the democratic process will not end well.

Right. If you have won the majority of the vote, but not the majority of the people, then there's a problem.

apologies here but I do not feel like I have slipped into an alternative dimension.

the majority of 'people' voted and the result stands. all others who didn't bother either through laziness, apathy, assumption of a remain win have only themselves to blame.

I agree there is a problem and the referendum is a reflection of that problem.

at least the pr that is coming will be amusing.
f

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The matter has been put to the people in a national referendum, the matter has been settled. You need a valid reason why the result should be invalid. An online petition doesn't overturn a national referendum and is not a valid constitutional legal reason.
It was not compulsory voting. It's not like buying a used car. It's more like a finals football game, the result stands there are no do overs, they don't play the game again if some people missed it. Elections and referendums are serious and they don't do them every 5 minutes. Some referendums are once in a lifetime events. My 2c.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
They should read what Mr Juncker says about Britain leaving, fast and quickly...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

Even if 3,300,000 people (yes it's over 3m now not 2m) want another referendum then it's tough.

It's not even 3 million. 4chan are openly discussing the script they've been using to troll the petition by adding hundreds of thousands of fake signatures.

40,000 votes from Vatican City (population: 800)?

24,000 votes from North Korea?

3,000 votes from the Sandwich Islands (population: errr, a couple of people I think)?

These are just the ones where they didn't bother using a UK-based IP to run the script.

I am absolutely sure that plenty of people have signed the petition, but it's completely compromised by pranksters and really is not an accurate reflection of the situation.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

I am very very concerned at what the sunday politicians are saying about this event. imo a backtrack will initiate a further common consensus that democracy is obsolete and we will submit to the trickle down instructions of the elite to their members of parliament.

my further opinion is that those mp's who are fighting this decision are now not fit for purpose and are prolonging the agony and creating further strife. their positions will become untenable.

up to now mr fallon and mr fox have taken it on the chin and respected the will of the people.

f

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

My point was though that it doesn't matter... the numbers are not important.
A vote happened and now we see what happens, that's it.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Some of this is crazy.... I hope it dies down soon.
It seems, for now anyway, that racism and xenophobia have been legitimised.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
Some of this is crazy.... I hope it dies down soon.
It seems, for now anyway, that racism and xenophobia have been legitimised.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Yeah, cos none of those people would make any of it up, would they?

I was down Glos Tesco (The market one) and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I can promise you that if I'd seen some one spouting rubbish like that there would have been a scrap.

It's the same tired narrative of brexit voters being racist scum. Open your eyes and see past the lies.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join