It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overpopulation is a Myth: Plenty of Food and Space Exists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Mia Harren 29 May 2011 17:56 Anchorage, AK
originally . . . overpopulation is a myth . com

www.lifenews.com...

Proclamations of overpopulation have circulated for decades. Are they true? First off, what is meant by the word “overpopulation”? It has nothing to do with the amount of people but rather to the resources and the capacity of the environment to sustain human activities.
To be overpopulated, a nation must have insufficient food, resources and living space.
With the world population at around 6.8 billion last year, food and living space are hardly a concern. In 1990, it was estimated that the world could feed up to 35 billion people. Most sources estimate that the global population will level out at around 9.2 billion in 2050, and then start to decline.
. . .

I think this article is a decent basic outline of the issues.
There are other richer-in-technical-issues articles out there but this one gives a good overview.
I may not get to posting others this evening. I hope to, tomorrow.
However, the dust throwing naysayers can begin their wailing whines. They will not be any surprise.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I was reading somewhere, some time ago, that if you took everyone on earth and gave them an acre of land to themselves, they would all fit in the a land the size of Texas.

The earth is much bigger than that. So yea, no, there is no over population. Just mismanagement from humans and human governments on everything.

Also, the earth right now produces way more enough food to feed everyone. Again, there are starving people, because of corrupt governments, inept governments, an mismanagement.

There are places on earth that will always be poor though, because of lack of resources and inhospitable climates. Nothing you can do about that. When God's kingdom rules over the earth then even those regions will become fruitful:

(Isaiah 35:1, 2) . . .The wilderness and the parched land will exult, And the desert plain will be joyful and blossom as the saffron.  2 Without fail it will blossom; It will rejoice and shout for joy.. . .

(Isaiah 35:7) . . .The heat-parched ground will become a reedy pool, And the thirsty ground springs of water. In the lairs where jackals rested, There will be green grass and reeds and papyrus.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Not even sure were to start on how short sighted this is. There are many more concerns than just food, resources and living space. Sounds like they are basing this off a perfect world and perfect people.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeterHawkes
I was reading somewhere, some time ago, that if you took everyone on earth and gave them an acre of land to themselves, they would all fit in the a land the size of Texas.

Texas = 268,820 mi² = 172,044,800 acres

7+bn ppl

Short a few acres there.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

So about 1000 square feet per person?

Not too bad but the sewage system would be a #ing mess

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: VivreLibre

India x 1000

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Can come over in this Mandel effect earth?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Truth.

As this video points out, the world is not overpopulated, its just very badly mismanaged.

edit on 24-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PeterHawkes

INDEED. This is from the other thread . . .
a reply to: Kashai

POPULATION RELATED LINKS . . . QUICKLY SCANNED AND OFFERED:

The first batch is more conventional stuff full of current propaganda and UN/GLOBALIST perspectives and blather.

www.pewresearch.org...
10 projections for the global population in 2050

= = =

esa.un.org...
UN POPULATION DIVISION WORLD POPULATION PROSPECTS
= = =
www.scientificamerican.com...
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
Population and Sustainability: Can We Avoid Limiting the Number of People?
= = =
livinggreenmag.com...

Sustainability and the World Population: What Is Our Global Limit?

= = =
HOW TO FEED THE WORLD IN 2050
www.fao.org...

= = =

POPULATION POSSIBILITIES 2 BILLION TO 40 BILLION SUSTAINABLE
www.ecofuture.org...

HOW MANY PEOPLE SHOULD the earth support?

That article did not take into account 2 facts:

1. The USA has PROVEN oil reserves within it's borders to manage well increased needs for 800+ YEARS.

2. Exotic energy technologies kept off the table by the same globalists who want to reduce populations to 200 million globally total.
= = =
www.infowars.com...
= = =

*****************************************************************************************************

*****************************************************************************************************
THIS NEXT CHUNK GETS SOMEWHAT INTO WHAT'S POSSIBLE . . .
OVER POPULATION IS NOT THE PROBLEM: NEW YORK TIMES:

. . .
This is nonsense. Even today, I hear some of my scientific colleagues repeat these and similar claims — often unchallenged. And once, I too believed them. Yet these claims demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of the ecology of human systems. The conditions that sustain humanity are not natural and never have been. Since prehistory, human populations have used technologies and engineered ecosystems to sustain populations well beyond the capabilities of unaltered “natural” ecosystems.
. . .
The world population is now estimated at 7.2 billion. But with current industrial technologies, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has estimated that the more than nine billion people expected by 2050 as the population nears its peak could be supported as long as necessary investments in infrastructure and conducive trade, anti-poverty and food security policies are in place. Who knows what will be possible with the technologies of the future? The important message from these rough numbers should be clear. There really is no such thing as a human carrying capacity. We are nothing at all like bacteria in a petri dish.
. . .
There is no environmental reason for people to go hungry now or in the future. There is no need to use any more land to sustain humanity — increasing land productivity using existing technologies can boost global supplies and even leave more land for nature — a goal that is both more popular and more possible than ever.
The only limits to creating a planet that future generations will be proud of are our imaginations and our social systems. In moving toward a better Anthropocene, the environment will be what we make it.

= = = =
OVERPOUPLATION: FACT OR MYTH?

www.collective-evolution.com...

Before starting this article, I wish to specify that it is not because I choose to question the concept of overpopulation that I also question the need to end poverty, overconsumption and environmental destruction. Overpopulation may be debatavle, but poverty and unsustainable practices are a reality and my life is geared towards raising consciousness about alternative ways to operate as a society.
However, I believe it is important to question everything; even claims closely tied to the activist and environmentalist movement. Why? Because by questioning theories such as overpopulation, I discovered an even more promising future than the never-ending struggle of trying to merely control the damage we cause to the planet and each other without addressing the cause.
Questioning scare-tactics, even if they seem to be geared towards noble causes, does not necessarily deny our support of the causes themselves. Yet they might save us from getting caught up on issues that distract us from the REAL problems and relevant steps we can take to create meaningful and long-lasting change.
. . .
1. The Entire World Population Can Sink Into The State Of Texas

Many believe that overpopulation is a question of lack of space. It isn’t.

Today, there is approximately 7,268,730,000 people on earth. The landmass of Texas is 268,820 square miles (7,494,271,488,000 square feet). If we divide 7,494,271,488,000 square feet by 7,268,730,000 people, we get 1031 square feet per person. This is enough space for everyone on earth to live in a townhouse while altogether fitting on a landmass the size of Texas. And we’re not even accounting for the average four-person family who would most likely share a home!
. . .
1. Scarcity Is A Myth

The world is abundant of resources and could provide for everyone’s need, yet every year rich countries waste more that 220 million tons of food. Meanwhile, the poor still starve to death – not because resources are scarce, but because they don’t have the money or have rights to enough land.
Did You Know?
– All the world’s nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnourishment on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe. (Click HERE for more outrageous food waste facts)
. . .
2. Overpopulation Does Not Cause Hunger, Unfair Management Does

Sociologists Frederick Buttel and Laura Raynolds published a study of population growth, food consumption, and other variables in ninety-three third world countries. The statistics showed no evidence that fast population growth causes hunger. However, they did find that the populations of poorer countries, and those countries where the poorest 20 % of the population earned a smaller percentage of a nation’s total income, had less to eat.
. . .
[World's richest 20% consume 76.6%; middle 60% consume 21.9%; poorest 20% consume 1.5%]
. . .
– Many of the countries in which hunger is rampant export much more in agricultural goods than they import. Northern countries are the main food importers, their purchases representing 71.2 % of the total value of food items imported in the world in 1992. Imports by the 30 lowest-­‐income countries, on the other hand, accounted for only 5.2 % of all international commerce in food and farm commodities.
– Africa has enormous still unexploited potential to grow food, with theoretical grain yields 25 to 35% higher than maximum potential yields in Europe or North America.
. . .
The truth is, if we all shifted towards an earth-friendly lifestyle and designed sustainable cities that would allow for self-sufficiency and collabor

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Tell that to the ever decreasing fish population,
the endangered species, and the never ending
slash and burn campaign of the rain forests.

Not to mention the Nuclear Waste that No One
knows just what to do with.
Just wait till that mess pans out.

So , I will say it, there is an imbalance
regarding the population of humans
Hate me for it, fine.
I am a Human as well for the time being.

S&F

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

I have no idea what you are saying or asking.

Perhaps you could reword it.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
You do understand this is a paper from an 11th/12th grader.

I love the enthusiasm and idealism from youth - - - but, maybe she should have a bit more Life experience.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

It is NOT a lack of ability or capacity.

It is a lack of WILL to solve those problems. The means exists to solve them--including the fish, rain forest, pollution, arid land etc. etc. problems. Those are largely POLITICAL problems.

As I understand it, we even have the technology to render the nuclear waste a NON-radioactive and very minor, normal garbage problem. TPTB refuse to allow it to be used.

I don't hate anyone--even the vile pants suited treasonous traitor. Not about to hate you.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I hadn't caught her age.

However, what she says is consistent with what I've read from credentialed scientists.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Arable land and potable water.

Problem.

Are we going to wait until we're tripping over each trying to get at a small piece of lab-grown hamburger before we admit that we're running out of arable land space due to the expansion of cities and infrastructure to accomodate an exponentially growing population ?

I should hope not.

How many of you would be willing to move to the Sahara desert so that the arable land your city is build on can be torn down and repurposed for agriculture and animal farming ?

How many of you are aware that the areas of the planet that have the best land for farming are where the most of the highest populations and cities are built on top of ?

It's going to be a huge problem in the very near future.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
THANKS for the very accurate and telling video that outlines the realities quickly and briefly.

The globalists' timelines get altered by the realities on the table as time moves along. However, their goals have not changed and neither, largely, have their strategies.

The naysayers have largely, evidently, merely drank the Kool-Aid and are utterly convinced that the propaganda and the ruthless, greedy, cruel manipulations of the global populace are all true and unalterable short of reducing the population down to 200 million.

What hideousness.

However, we know from The Book that the global population will be reduced to a bit less than half of what was present at the beginning of the population reducing traumas of the Tribulation period.

And the blood in some areas will be as high as a horse's bridle. No fun in that. But the oligarchy loves to be cruel to "the little people," in the gritchy one's words.

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Truth.

As this video points out, the world is not overpopulated, its just very badly mismanaged.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Those are POLITICAL problems,

NOT technical problems.

And the oligarchy's POLITICAL WILL is dedicated to USING those problems in cruel manipulative ways to herd the Eloi ever closer into the caverns of the Morlachs.

But folks still do not HAVE to believe the oligarchy's rampant lies re the topic.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Overpopulation as a concept is about how we are using the earth and would need to to continue in a modern way with energy.

Yes if we listened to bucky fuller we could have saved spaceship earth. But no population is regarding the expansion of human beings and there materials and use of energy.

It's not about the actual biological entity.

Everyone already knows this. It's not a revelation.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Arable land is not a political problem.

It's a geographical and climatic problem.

You can't grow tomatoes in Antarctica.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

That's probably where I heard my statistic from. I don't know why I remember it as Texas. But yes, it was Australia. Thanks for the correction.

It still proves the point though.

And someone else above mentioned that there are places that are vital to earth, such as the rain forests. And on that we agree. Instead of slash and burning, some people have considered making these areas World Heritage sites. And each country would pay a tax, for the amount of people that live in them to preserve them. And that tax would go in turn to provide food and clothing and shelter to people living in those areas, cutting out the need for them to slash and burn to eke out an existence.

An idea I don't think is that bad, and solves several problems. One, the poverty in those regions. And it helps the entire earth see the need to take care of our environment, such as saving places such as those.

If there were actual people who governed the earth who loved the earth and people, and got along, and were not driven by a lust for power, money, and were not racists and cared for more people there own race or their own homeland, the world would be a very very different place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join