It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advantages and Disadvantages of the European Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
futureofworking.com...

In Light of this Brexit Issue I thought it would be integral to the discussion if we knew something about the advantages and disadvantages of being in the EU

Below are the good and bad...See link for fuller descriptions

futureofworking.com...

The Advantages of the European Union
1. Tax Free Trading Among Members
One of the biggest benefits that are offered to the member countries of the EU is that they are free to trade with other members at no additional taxation. This helps to keep prices of goods and food down in these countries.

2. Opens Up More Opportunities
Movement between all of the countries in the EU is completely free and open for all citizens. This opens up many more job and education opportunities for people. Especially ones who are in poor countries.

3. Culture Is Not Lost

4. A Common Currency

5. No Conflict Between Nations

The Disadvantages of the European Union

1. Communication Barriers
It becomes very difficult for the EU to communicate with all of it’s citizens because they all speak different language. This also impact the feeling of unity among it’s members. It makes it harder to bring people together.

2. Shared Wealth Is Not Always Good
Large and wealthy countries that are members of the European Union, like Germany, have to share their wealth with much smaller and poorer countries. This prevents any one country from becoming too powerful, which is a bad thing for countries that have the ability to become world leaders.

3. Leaving Is A Problem
Once a country decides to join the EU, it is extremely difficult for them to leave it. This makes many people uneasy from joining, because if it negatively effects their country, there is little that they can do about it.

4. Discriminates Against Potential Members

5. Takes Power From Governments

6. Serves The Interest As A Whole, Not A Country

futureofworking.com...

edit on Sat Jun 25 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: TAGS ADDED

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

How is pro#3 Culture not lost, true. For at least a couple decades, if not more, TBTB have been preaching citizens to be good Europeans rather than citizens of their own Nation. Is Italian culture benefited by being European culture? I just don't look at that as being a positive on a nation-by-nation case. If anything, it seems to muddle each countries individual culture, but maybe that was the whole point of it.
edit on 24-6-2016 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
econ.economicshelp.org...

Some problems the UK people may now face is a lack of being able to freely go to member countries for a job, for instance now that they’ve left the EU

Untying Britain from the old membership is the easy bit. Harder would be agreeing a new trading relationship, establishing what tariffs and other barriers to entry are permitted, and agreeing on obligations such as free movement. Such a process, EU leaders claim, could take another five years.

Many predict economic disaster for the hasty move out of the EU which sounds exiting and great in theory but presents many problematic issues that may cripple the UK economy for years

Paradise postponed?

The key to economic success would lie in the trade deals the UK could strike with the rest of the world. The disruption for British business could last well beyond the time taken to reach a divorce settlement with the EU (which is expected to take at least two years). Trade agreements between the EU and 52 other countries, which currently cover the UK, would have to be negotiated individually and could not just be lifted off the peg, as some Brexiters have claimed. The Government would seek to secure a “presumption of continuity”.

www.independent.co.uk...

It is always wise to investigate things and not just rely on slogans and electioneering to educate yourself.

Many UK resident really didn't know what they were voting for.

Foreign direct investment could fall without guaranteed access to the EU single market, putting UK jobs at risk.

edit on 24-6-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

It's a grand experiment, that's for sure. Much of England didn't see the advantages out weighing the negatives so it seems. If your own citizens feel they haven't really benefited economically from any proposal, you should expect them to seek other alternatives to their status quo. If you had a robust UK economy, you would have had a Remain vote. For whatever reason comma people felt they weren't getting what they were promised. Politics 101, you have to eventually deliver, not just keep promising.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I understand.

I just hope people did what they did based on some real information and not demagoguery.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: pavil

I just hope people did what they did based on some real information and not demagoguery.

Hahaha- oh, I've made myself sad.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I'd like to address two of these 'advantages':

1. Tax Free Trading Among Members One of the biggest benefits that are offered to the member countries of the EU is that they are free to trade with other members at no additional taxation. This helps to keep prices of goods and food down in these countries.

A country does not need to be a member of the EU to strike up tax free trade agreements. Trade pacts are made between countries all the time. Both countries sit down together and discuss what would be most beneficial for both parties. This is how trade deals are made every day.

So this so-called 'advantage' really is a moot point.

2. Opens Up More Opportunities Movement between all of the countries in the EU is completely free and open for all citizens. This opens up many more job and education opportunities for people. Especially ones who are in poor countries.

If job opportunities were plentiful in a country, people wouldn't need to look elsewhere for work. Most people would prefer to find a job close to their home for ease of travel, convenience, etc.

Bring back industry, small business incentives, and so forth.... and your citizens won't need to look elsewhere.

The bureaucrats in Brussels actually caused a stagnation of economic growth for a country such as Britain because of this whole 'all EU member states must be equalized' crap. It tied the UK's hands behind their backs with no ability to drive their own economic steering wheel.

Yes it's an advantage to smaller, less economically stable countries... but what about countries that have the ability to be self-sufficient ? Where's the 'advantage' for them ?

Look, I get it.

Being a part of something, like union alliances, is all warm and fuzzy feeling... and it actually is a good thing when it comes to hammering out peaceful relations with other countries looking to stabilize their economic longevity.

But the truth of the matter is that those same warm and fuzzy alliances and economic longevities can be (and have been) made WITHOUT having to sign away your country's independent sovereignty at being able make its own rules and decisions.

Long story short:

You don't need some third party suit sitting behind a boardroom table mediating deals for your country and making decisions on what they think is best for your people.

edit on 24-6-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

futureofworking.com...

The Advantages of the European Union
1. Tax Free Trading Among Members
One of the biggest benefits that are offered to the member countries of the EU is that they are free to trade with other members at no additional taxation. This helps to keep prices of goods and food down in these countries.

What additional taxes? You have a product, the cost of production and expected

profit. Then you find the customer who buys your product and sells it (hopefully)

at a profit. Where does tax come in? who is it paid to? both get taxed on business

profits of the country that the business is in.

2. Opens Up More Opportunities
Movement between all of the countries in the EU is completely free and open for all citizens. This opens up many more job and education opportunities for people. Especially ones who are in poor countries.

I am ancient and have traveled all over to places in and out of Europe

long before the existance of the EU, all I needed was a passport, perhaps

a visa IF required and enough money? I have relations who have lived and

married and worked abroad long before the EU. The only benefit i can

see now is that settlers no longer have to have the means to support

themselves ..... because they can now claim benefits. Now this can cause

problems as the natives of said countries who work to pay for those benefits

given so freely away.

3. Culture Is Not Lost

Why would it be it is the culture of the *person* so it goes every where

with the *person*?

4. A Common Currency
That was probably the worst thing to ever

happen. Different countries, different economies, different priorities,

different values, How could that ever assimilate. When my children were

young it was fun, a learning curve spending different currencies and

equating them to values of the home currency. Indeed part of the fun of

travelling.

5. No Conflict Between Nations

Not as long as you are fitting in with the nation at the top of the table

Why do you think we voted out? and the other countries are now lining

up to follow us out so that's conflict.... ready to implode.

The Disadvantages of the European Union

1. Communication Barriers
It becomes very difficult for the EU to communicate with all of it’s citizens because they all speak different language. This also impact the feeling of unity among it’s members. It makes it harder to bring people together.

2. Shared Wealth Is Not Always Good
Large and wealthy countries that are members of the European Union, like Germany, have to share their wealth with much smaller and poorer countries. This prevents any one country from becoming too powerful, which is a bad thing for countries that have the ability to become world leaders.

3. Leaving Is A Problem
Once a country decides to join the EU, it is extremely difficult for them to leave it. This makes many people uneasy from joining, because if it negatively effects their country, there is little that they can do about it.

4. Discriminates Against Potential Members

5. Takes Power From Governments

6. Serves The Interest As A Whole, Not A Country
futureofworking.com...

Immigration Now i am liable to be called racist... but that is

not the case. As i mentioned earlier I am no spring chicken and immigration

has been happening unnoticed all my life time as familiies were settling

in small units gradually and spread out, using the housing and schools and

doctors etc. NOW they are coming in numbers we cannot cope with and

there are schools with no native British children and no English spoken but

numerous languages that the teachers have to cope with.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Some problems the UK people may now face is a lack of being able to freely go to member countries for a job, for instance now that they’ve left the EU

The world is a lot bigger than the EU, Someone on this site is working in

the East, and i know people working in India, Japan, Australia, NZ. and

UAE. The media has been silent (imposed I would say) to the events

occurring in Europe with *over immigration* due to Angela Merkel's

policy (which incidentely has declined her popularity in the EU] so not

a pleasant place to be in!!

So bad who would want to freely travel over there?

new topics

top topics

join