It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British are frantically Googling what the EU is, hours after voting to leave it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Being called uneducated and brainless on social media for voting to leave!

I am speechless at how well the nation has been conditioned to be loyal to TPTB!
edit on 2016-06-25T08:16:37-05:00201606bam3006am3730 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
they thought they were voting against scary brown people

oops

Part of the reason for the exit was to rid the sick culture where leftists accuse others of being racist for having an opinion.
Globalism and the sick practice of using the race card to win arguments is dying out. get used to it.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
There are people who voted 'leave' now regretting their decision.

See 3 mins in for an example.

Oh well. Cameron will possilbly go down in history as the Prime Minister who instigated the break up of two unions because unfortunately some people didn't really know what they were doing.

Aye, and how many interviews were rejected because they didn't fit the stereotypes of thick, old or racist?

This vote was about those who can think for them selves against those who just parrot what their masters tell them.

Glad that us grownups won.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
There are people who voted 'leave' now regretting their decision.

See 3 mins in for an example.

Oh well. Cameron will possilbly go down in history as the Prime Minister who instigated the break up of two unions because unfortunately some people didn't really know what they were doing.

Aye, and how many interviews were rejected because they didn't fit the stereotypes of thick, old or racist?

This vote was about those who can think for them selves against those who just parrot what their masters tell them.

Glad that us grownups won.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

All of which simply confirms why the PTB dumb down people to the importance of what effects them greatly by the method of......well never really teaching them about it. Look how lame teach is in HS and College most places on what the constitution is, influencing political thinking on it going back hundreds of years ect, ect.

All the more reason to get out of the EU if its real impact is hidden from nations, people, cultures.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: YarlanZey
Depends who it is. Might be people in the US and other countries outside UK finding out what all the headlines mean. Without knowing where they are we cannot really judge.

Edit to add that if you are in the UK to not know what the EU is you must have had your head buried as its been all over the media, including newspapers and general news reports. That said I have seen You Tube videos similar to the example on page 1 that seem show this...

You dont say...

DAMN! They knew more about the United States than they did about their own EU!
edit on 25-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Sounds like propaganda to justify ignoring the vote or somehow re voting.

I've seen a ton of "Working class British too dumb to know what they did" posts all over social media. It's actually really sickening how condescending the propaganda is.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I note one important fact about that video.

It was shot in London. London, by and large, voted to remain part of the EU.

So the only thing this video shows, is that the people who were surveyed, on the streets of a city which voted to stay in Europe, did not know the first thing about Europe.

Perhaps if the video had been shot in various locations around the British Isles, rather than just in one Pro-Europe city, the results may have been different!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: TheBulk
Sounds like propaganda to justify ignoring the vote or somehow re voting.

I've seen a ton of "Working class British too dumb to know what they did" posts all over social media. It's actually really sickening how condescending the propaganda is.

And a core factor of why the remain camp lost.

Instead of recognizing and adressing the key isdues they just patronized the public and called those who brought up issues as bigots.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Looks like the British 9/11 to me. Nationalists and likely Ultra Nationalists are behind the move... Scotland looking for its exit again... remember Bank of Scotland and the missing trillions? Britians might want to see their future by looking at the US for the last 15 years with the buy British starting up same way buy American was rallied by Nationalists.

Nothing wrong with loving ones country; but we're all people of Earth. So many Americans saying Obamas wrong looks like the British are about to call him right about avoiding their 9/11.

The EU was formed in 1973... many say its only been 20 years thats when the currency called the Euro was founded.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: YarlanZey
Depends who it is. Might be people in the US and other countries outside UK finding out what all the headlines mean. Without knowing where they are we cannot really judge.

Edit to add that if you are in the UK to not know what the EU is you must have had your head buried as its been all over the media, including newspapers and general news reports. That said I have seen You Tube videos similar to the example on page 1 that seem show this...

You dont say...

DAMN! They knew more about the United States than they did about their own EU!

This video was taken some time ago before the Brexit campaign even started - some time before July 2013.

It is therefore useless as a guide to what people knew when voting.
Prior to the Brexit debates and campaigning it is true that no one really knew much about the EU on both sides of the argument.

I can only conclude that given your first post was based on London interviews and this one is based on asking the public about the EU long before the decision making process for Brexit, that you are just posting propaganda to suit an argument. Maybe because you don't like the fact your side of the argument lost.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Um, huh?

My "side" is being anti-megaconglomerate (corporations, governments, banks, etc) such as the EU / Eurobank like the US Federal Government in practice, and the Federal Reserve that owns US all. Likewise I'm anti-ignorance. This thread gets to be a mish mash of mass ignorance, the UK, the EU (and therefore the US as well) and so much more.

The UK being part of the EU for 'however' long now and random people not knowing a lick about it is a major problem, either then or today.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Now isn't this interesting. They were in a 'thing' they didn't even know what it was.

Nonsense.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

Um, huh?

My "side" is being anti-megaconglomerate (corporations, governments, banks, etc) such as the EU / Eurobank like the US Federal Government in practice, and the Federal Reserve that owns US all. Likewise I'm anti-ignorance. This thread gets to be a mish mash of mass ignorance, the UK, the EU (and therefore the US as well) and so much more.

The UK being part of the EU for 'however' long now and random people not knowing a lick about it is a major problem, either then or today.

But the information you are posting is misleading. You posted a video from pre July 2013 in your own thread,passing on a poorly researched article, about people googling to find out about the EU after they voted. Why is that? Is it that you can't be bothered to check sources of videos you find via google or are you purposely trying to mislead to undermine the vote the country took to reject the EU? This country does not want to be part of the EU. If you live here, embrace your freedom. If you don't live here, be inspired.
edit on 25/6/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Sounds like what the Trump supporters are dealing with.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: crazyewok

Sounds like what the Trump supporters are dealing with.

...and a tired tactic from the libtard playbook.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca

I'm pretty sure the demographics show that those who voted to leave were mostly the elderly. I highly doubt the elderly are Googling what the EU is.

Not quite. The demographics do show that older people voted leave more than younger people, but still, younger people voted at about 1/3 to leave and middle-aged people were at 50/50. That's a pretty broad spectrum that is not confined to "the elderly." I don't know what you deem to be "elderly," but the fact is older people remember when the UK was not in the EU and younger people don't.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79

What relevance does that have with anything to do with anything I said.

Europe isn't even a continent to begin with. It's a fantasy. Like if you were to call Central America, or the Middle East, "continents".

Have a read, it's wikipedia's entry on Europe, not the EU.

Europe

Note this bit here:

The use of the term "Europe" has developed gradually throughout history.[12][13] In antiquity, the Greek historian Herodotus mentioned that the world had been divided by unknown persons into three parts, Europe, Asia, and Libya (Africa), with the Nile and the River Phasis forming their boundaries—though he also states that some considered the River Don, rather than the Phasis, as the boundary between Europe and Asia.[14] Europe's eastern frontier was defined in the 1st century by geographer Strabo at the River Don.[15] The Book of Jubilees described the continents as the lands given by Noah to his three sons; Europe was defined as stretching from the Pillars of Hercules at the Strait of Gibraltar, separating it from North Africa, to the Don, separating it from Asia.[16]

Quite a bit before the Americas were even written about as continents, Europe was already defined as such. You are being a bit revisionist here I think.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
But the information you are posting is misleading. You posted a video from pre July 2013 in your own thread,passing on a poorly researched article, about people googling to find out about the EU after they voted. Why is that? Is it that you can't be bothered to check sources of videos you find via google or are you purposely trying to mislead to undermine the vote the country took to reject the EU? This country does not want to be part of the EU. If you live here, embrace your freedom. If you don't live here, be inspired.

After noticing dozens of articles about the big search (yesterday), it reminded me of the videos I've seen about United Statesians not knowing anything about American History, so couldn't help but not post the issue.

After member mentioned similar videos about UK'ers not knowing the foggiest about the EU I went and found that. I saw the date 2013. Expecting backlash from someone I'm pretty sure I agree with the big picture with was the last thing I expected.

This thread isn't merely about the big UK vote, it's about the mass ignorance within the masses (both here, there, and everywhere else). At least that's how I framed it.

Here's some more:

Characters From 'The Simpsons' More Well Known to Americans Than Their First Amendment Freedoms, Survey Finds
A new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum survey finds that only about one in
four Americans (28 percent) are able to name more than one of the five
fundamental freedoms granted to them by the First Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution. Yet when it comes to knowledge of popular culture, Americans
are considerably more tuned in. For example, almost twice as many Americans
(52 percent) can name at least two members of "The Simpsons" cartoon family.
And while more than one in five (22 percent) Americans can name all five
of the fictional Simpsons family members -- Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and
Maggie -- just one in 1,000 people surveyed (.1 percent) were able to name all
five freedoms granted under the First Amendment.
Although about two thirds were able to name Freedom of Speech as a First
Amendment right, relatively few could recall other essential freedoms
guaranteed by this amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
And at a time when the American press is under increasing scrutiny, it is
discouraging to see that only about one in 10 people (11 percent) recalled
Freedom of the Press.
Those freedoms, and the percentage of Americans who were able to name them
when asked to list the freedoms of the First Amendment, are:

-- Freedom of Speech (69 percent)
-- Freedom of Religion (24 percent)
-- Freedom of the Press (11 percent)
-- Freedom of Assembly (10 percent)
-- Freedom to Petition for Redress of Grievances (1 percent)

You can see me cover this Simpsons material in my old flick from 6/6/06:

I've always been a sucker for posting material about everyone being suckers (in my decade+ efforts of combating mass ignorance).

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join