It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone know where i can fine a phd thesis from 1984?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i have done several searches on google with different keywords but nothing.

i have been working side by side with the metallurgist at work for a bit now and the dude is awesome. his brain is filled with info. i am basically getting paid to get an education from the doc. i love it. he is an older gentleman and he loves to talk. he was a professor for 3 years. he said he loves to teach people at work all the time and they dont have any interest. i am all over it.
i want to rub shoulders with the doc as much as possible for as long as i can.
he has been giving me books to read at home and basically teaches me all the time we are working.

back to the question.
i know what his thesis is called and i know the school and the year. i really want to read it but i feel like a creeper asking him. just does not seem right.

if anyone knows of sites that archive things like this i would love to know.

this dude is a monster

check this out
chief metallurgist@ my company

Senior Process Engineer - Alloy Primary Operations (2001 – 2009)@xxxxxxx

Senior Technologist and R&D Lab Supervisor - Alloy R & D (2001-2009)@xxxxxx

Staff Technologist - Alloy R & D (1985-1989)@xxxxxx

Skills

MetallurgyMetallography Design of Experiments NickelAlloys SPCMaterials MetalsCasting R&D FMEA Process Control Characterization Steel Lean Manufacturing Heat Treatment Materials Science Six Sigma Continuous Casting Kaizen Copper Failure Analysis

Ph.D., Materials Engineering
1979 – 1984

^^^^^^i know he has 2 masters but it is not on the linkedin.

Interests
•Superalloys Nickel based Alloys (Ni-Cr or Ni-Fe-Cr alloys). •Ti-based alloys e.g. Ti-Al-V alloys. •Ti-Cu Alloys

Kaizen & Design of experiments. •Solidification Technology & Phase Diagrams for Alloys & Ceramics. •Extractive Metallurgy & Metallurgical Thermodynamics (Ferrous & Non-ferrous Alloys). •Osprey Melt Spray technology. •Ferrous & Non-Ferrous Casting Technology (Static & Continuous). •Foundry Metallurgy (Ferrous & Non-Ferrous Alloys). •Melt Filtration Technology (Ferrous & Non-Ferrous Alloys). •Alloy Physical Metallurgy (Ferrous & Non-Ferrous Alloys). •SPAL Technology. •Thixo-Forming Technology.

------------

so basically this guy is a monster and i am trying to soak up as much as i can and would love to read his thesis

any help would be appreciated

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Have you tried contacting the university in question and asking about their thesis policy?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I would just ask a person outright, I think it might be viewed as "more creepy" to go about the search undercover. I think the Doc would be flattered and your search might be concluded much more expeditiosly.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Have you tried contacting the university in question and asking about their thesis policy?

i have not but that is a good idea. thank you.
i guess i have to go old school and use a phone and talk to a person. i just figured all that # is online these days. just dont know how to find it.

i did find a site that seemed legit but i had to register so no big. gonna use my dummy email. it said i needed to use my work email to verify i work there so i closed out. not getting my work email spammed with #

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I would just ask a person outright, I think it might be viewed as "more creepy" to go about the search undercover. I think the Doc would be flattered and your search might be concluded much more expeditiosly.

i thought about that too. i think it might go that way. i can ask him if i can read it but dont have to say i looked it up and couldnt find it.
i figured it would be creepy if i had to hack some # or do something shady to find it. i figured it is not creepy to search and if it is there read it. if it is out there in some sort of open to the public database then it seemed on the level.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You could check the Library of Congress. Check with the publisher. Check the school archive.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If you know the school you ought to be able to get it on Inter library Loan. Also, check the ProQuest database at a academic library, which has a section on dissertations, for the exact title and all. Your local public library ought to be able to get it for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Have you tried scholar.google.com? That will pull up academic papers at the beginning of the search results instead of buried in the middle. Ebscohost.com and infotrac.galegroup.com are also good search sources for academic papers, but you need a password from a member or a library to access them.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I use Dogpile.com

Using title, subject, author

I think they began to be put online by then.

Alternately, search the author and send him an email.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Have you already tried this site?

www.ndltd.org...

If you can't find it here then definitely try the author or ask for it via interlibrary loan at your local library.

Sal

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Pillywiggin

THANKS. Good links to know about.

I used scholar google . . . found a citation for my Dissertation, which was before 1982.

I know there's also a site where those who want to upload or type in their dissertations that were before routine filing online--can do so.

I don't recall that link.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So if you get your hands on his thesis and read it, then what?

The "what" would be that you would want to talk to him about it even if to only acknowledge that you have read it. So the easiest way to read the work is to ask him if he can loan you a copy that way you are have opened the door to further communicating about it once you have access.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I may have access through my school. I can check online for you, just give me the title and author. You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

then nothing.
then i will have read it

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Aliensun

then nothing.
then i will have read it

It's a good point though. In all your conversations post reading, will you be able to act as if you hadn't read it? Especially if there are topics that might come up in those conversations? You might want to think about that.

Food for thought and all that.

new topics

top topics

join