It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypocrisy: List of 26 gun-owning Democrats who participated in anti-gun sit-in

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: neo96

And??? It's a cute cartoon although a bit misleading. They are the same thing.
The man on the left is armed with the state of the art military firearm of the day, a Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket, over his shoulder hangs a cartridge box that has 24 cartridges containing black powder and a lead ball. This is the same (or very similar) armaments as the British soldiers he will and does face on the field of battle. What is not pictured on the left is the storehouses that contain barrels of black powder, lead ball, and cannons.

On the right the man is armed with the state of the art "civilian" firearm of the day, a semi-automatic .223cal rifle, over his shoulder is a belt containing cartridges containing gunpowder, lead bullet, and a primer. This is NOT the same, or even similar armaments as the opposing force he will face on the field of battle.

So, actually, the modern man on the right is actually less armed than the man on the left since he is armed with weapons that are not an equivalent to the enemy. This is unlike the man on the left who does bear equivalent firepower to his enemy, and has more stored that is not depicted in the cartoon.

ETA: I forgot to mention the man on the left has a bayonet over his other shoulder, and a bayonet lug on the barrel of the musket. As of the 1993 AWB, it is illegal to have a bayonet lug on a rifle. It was one of the criteria making it an "assault weapon" at the time. THat was a compromise that was made at the time.

Like I said, cute cartoon. And as all cartoons, not close to reality.

edit on 6/24/2016 by Krakatoa because: Added bayonet addition

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Perhaps cartoons are intended to evoke a response.

Thanks for the knowledgable analysis though.

Just a quick question ... what would the relative rate of fire be between one Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket and three semi-automatic .223cal rifles?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer, and I'm just curious.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Just a quick question ... what would the relative rate of fire be between one Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket and three a semi-automatic .223cal rifles?

A well-regulated man in the militia, at his peak, could prime, load, and fire in approx 20 seconds. I, personally can attest to that as I have done that myself with the same flintlock. However, you need to compare that rate of fire with the enemy he would face. Which had the same rate of fire, although, more training and experienced tactical generals.

Wish to compare the rate of fire between the civilian on the right and his enemy now? I think I know, but an just curious if you do.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I see someone glossed over this FACT.

The man on the left is armed with the state of the art military firearm of the day, a Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket

Every weapon of the day was an 'assault weapon'.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Brilliant deduction and comparison, but dont expect the paid folks to listen.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

A sharp stick is an "assault weapon".

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Use context, its your friend

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The man on the left is armed with the state of the art military firearm of the day, a Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket

Oh, I forgot to mention his bayonet and bayonet lug on the musket barrel. Having a bayonet lug on a modern civilian rifle is illegal, and was deemed to make it an assault rifle in the 1993 AWB.

Just to clarify.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A sharp stick is an "assault weapon".

So is a government hell bent on disarming the people.

It is disconcerting that we are told to have 'faith, and trust' in the state, and yet those people have none in us.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: neo96

Oh, I forgot to mention his bayonet and bayonet lug on the musket barrel. Having a bayonet lug on a modern civilian rifle is illegal, and was deemed to make it an assault rifle in the 1993 AWB.

Just to clarify.

Yeah I am well aware of the gun profiling that goes on today.

Black,scary, and long pointy objects=bad.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

What we are doing here is defining terms. You have an obvious agenda, and I am simply defending my nation from people who would tear it down.

The law is the law and that's what you cant seem to get your head, or your mouth around. Yes, Im tired of speaking to you as well, as you dont even accept the laws that built this nation and have kept it viable for 200+ years.

These paid off career politicians, have gotten rich off of our taxes and you defend that...there's the problem and your identifying marker. Im sorry you dont have the brain power to think gor yourself.
edit on 24-6-2016 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Just a quick question ... what would the relative rate of fire be between one Brown Bess 75cal flintlock musket and three a semi-automatic .223cal rifles?

A well-regulated man in the militia, at his peak, could prime, load, and fire in approx 20 seconds. I, personally can attest to that as I have done that myself with the same flintlock. However, you need to compare that rate of fire with the enemy he would face. Which had the same rate of fire, although, more training and experienced tactical generals.

Wish to compare the rate of fire between the civilian on the right and his enemy now? I think I know, but an just curious if you do.

So ... Brown Bess ROF is 3/minute with a "magazine" of 24. So ... about 8 minutes to fully discharge what he's carrying?

What do you figure one .223 would do, assuming someone trained and experienced in reloading? 15 or 20 in 2.5 secs?

I'm not talking a tactical scenario ... just kinda comparing one to the other.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You are setting up a false comparison. It is also an unfair comparison. If you want to compare, you need to compare WITH context. Otherwise, we are being disingenuous in our discussion. A modern firearm owner will be less likely to face an enemy wielding a flintlock musket (unless they break into my home).

edit on 6/24/2016 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This isn't hypocritical because they are not wanting to ban guns, they are just wanting to make it harder to get one by regulating them a bit more.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Use the correct term "infringing" more. Let us not cloud the issue using a word in the 2nd Amendment that has a different definition when written that it is used today.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

You are setting up a false comparison. It is also an unfair comparison. If you want to compare, you need to compare WITH context. Otherwise, we are being disingenuous in our discussion. A modern firearm owner will be less likely to face an enemy wielding a flintlock musket (unless they break into my home).

I'm really just curious about the relative rates of fire between the two rifles. I'm not making any point about it.

I just wanted to take advantage of your obvious knowledge to educate myself ... I've looked but can't find info on the .223 semi.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I do not own one....so I cannot provide 1st person data on that.
Sorry

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Sorry

You've been kind to provide what you have.

Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Sorry

You've been kind to provide what you have.

Thanks again.

EDIT: ... wait a minute ... is the .223 semi the same as an AR-15?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I heard they turned off the cameras when they started their 'sitting'.

Is that like when children don;t get their way, falling to the ground and having tantrums? Were they kicking the floor and crying, too?

Buwaaah, we want guns taken from Americans. Then they get up, wipe their noses and sign an order to ship tons more WMD to the Middle East.

Big smiles doing that I bet.

Guess ya "heard" wrong....

cnn

Although Republicans leaders had shut off House cameras, Democrats continued Thursday morning to livestream their activities on the floor. Rep. Mark Takano plugged his phone into an external power source, set it on top of a chair facing the podium, and was streaming on his Facebook page even though he'd left the chamber to appear on CNN's "New Day."

and if ya don't like the source, do some googling....it's a fact, not something I heard. So now who's acting like a toddler when they don't get their way ( or perceived way)?
edit on 24-6-2016 by Connector because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join