It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It time for London to leave the UK ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
That's a question that has been floating around for a few weeks with the possibility of Brexit looming , now Brexit has been realised it's a question that may be spoken more loudly with Londeners like Scotland unhappy at the result of a Democratic process.

I know it sounds crazy and it probably is but we now live in crazy times.

London is already somewhat of a city state, and City Hall could easily become a London Parliament. In 2014, the Financial Times reported that “barely 7 per cent of all tax paid by London’s residents and businesses is retained by its mayor and boroughs, compared with 50 per cent in New York.” And as more concessions are offered to Scotland, and the UK faces the very real possibility of a break-up, London has good reason to want in on that kind of bargain.

In many ways, this wouldn’t be too painful or unusual a transition. Osborne announced the beginning of devolution of NHS services last December after his spending review stated that we were to move toward a local-led health and social care system in 2020. Additionally, Greater Manchester was the first English region to gain full control of its health and social care spending this year, as part of agreements on further devolution for the region.
www.independent.co.uk...

Seems to me to be another example that Democratic process is only valid if the result goes your way.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So all the millions of lifelong Londoners like myself who voted out should now be reinstated with Europe???

No thanks.

How about you all take defeat on the chin and get over it!!!

Edit: and they want a 2nd referendum already...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The butthurt is level 9000.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Noted.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Would you take Hillary as the President of London?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

And what about the majority of young people who voted to remain who now have their futures dictated to them by misguided old folk who don't care what mess they are leaving to future generations ?

It's not about butthurt, this is what happens when a vote is so close to call and is pretty much a 50/50 split (Out only won by 3%)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

And what about the majority of young people who voted to remain who now have their futures dictated to them by misguided old folk who don't care what mess they are leaving to future generations ?

It's not about butthurt, this is what happens when a vote is so close to call and is pretty much a 50/50 split (Out only won by 3%)

Bolded for emphasis.

We won.

& I'm 29 years old.
So is my ex who voted out.

Stop blaming pensioners for a UK decision!!!

edit on 24-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Autocorrect.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Well it seems, repeat seems like too much money goes to London compared to the rest of the UK. Everyone else seems to become second class as you go further up the country. I'm not surprised the Scots are angry.

Seems like every house in the capital is worth millions of pounds and we get pretty angry when we get our housing benefits cut and there's families living there paying £1500 a month.

I know there's the London weighting and all that but it seems insane when people are on twice the wage for an equivalent job.
You could start to believe that the government already thinks that London is apart from the UK.

Personally it doesn't really bother me if it becomes a separate entity.
We could put a fence around it and charge the city folk a fee for enjoying a country view in the fresh air.
Last time I went to London I found a couple of good record shops but otherwise it seemed like a filthy, hostile, concrete dump.
Sorry.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

How did different demographic groups vote in the EU referendum?

It's also worth noting, those with less education voted to leave vs the educated voting to remain

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Would you take Hillary as the President of London?

Maybe we can put London and Washington DC on a little Island somewhere and they can rule over THEMSELVES.

Win win.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I'll take my chances voting against the "educated" bourgeoisie, Blairites and the Elitists.

How many respondents to that pointless graph by the way?

Because me and my ex didn't poll, and look... The only vast majority was for 18-24 year olds...
People who know less about the world than anyone.

God the things I've learned since I turned 25 would shake up their little world in seconds!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Regardless of the demographic the question was asked and and answer given , if the answer had gone the other way would Leave supporters be making all this fuss ?

If London were to leave the UK then why not Manchester , Liverpool , Birmingham , we would end up as a country of self governed regions all with different leaderships , we would become the United States of Britain and I don't think anyone would want that bureaucratic nightmare.

It's still early and people are in shock at the result , I voted to leave and I'm still in shock by the result.
The best thing we can do is to Keep Calm and Carry On.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Neither situation is ideal, we should never have joined the EU in the first place and we would be better for it now. But I feel that now we're leaving we're going to be in a worse state than if we remained.

Not to mention, we won't leave officially for 2 years anybody who wants to get into the UK from Europe has 2 years to do this so the whole immigration issue for the leave campaign was pointless.

We've also systematically destroyed the majority of our industry and rely heavily on imports from the continent to survive if you think leaving is going to give us back the pride we once had, think again.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm a HGV driver , I know we have plenty of industry left as I spend much of my time traveling between industrial estates up and down the country.
We have a reputation for manufacturing excellence that won't change in or out , British goods will still be in demand.

The stock market fluctuations are to be expected as a result of the shock as the market expected a remain win , normal service will be resumed when the market comes to terms with the fact they were wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Cry me a river
Respekt the voters.. This is a great day for UK
Dont listen to paid media that try its best to put the spooks on.
The Stock market only reflekt the spook media
Everything will normalise and better in the long run

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well its good to know we have "workforce" that is outside of the EU for our future kids, instead of;

" Apu, clean up in Isle four!"

They can go;" NANCY, clean up in Isle four "

And they are gonna go; " But, but, im white, it means i have privileges "

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

They are gonna speed up the transition, it wont be 2 years.. They are hoping at the start of 2017

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'm a HGV driver , I know we have plenty of industry left as I spend much of my time traveling between industrial estates up and down the country.
We have a reputation for manufacturing excellence that won't change in or out , British goods will still be in demand.

The stock market fluctuations are to be expected as a result of the shock as the market expected a remain win , normal service will be resumed when the market comes to terms with the fact they were wrong.

GDP by sector Agriculture: 0.6% Construction: 6.4% Production: 14.6% Services: 78.4% (2014 est.)

Manufacturing alone is only 11% of GDP from the 14.6% it's from 2014 but we haven't had a massive upsurge in production in the last 2 years

What's more worryingly is the 0.6% agriculture although I'm not surprised as I was paying to attention to the origins of the veg today in Morrisons and majority of it is from europe
edit on 24/6/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

They are gonna speed up the transition, it wont be 2 years.. They are hoping at the start of 2017

Thats not gonna happen. ..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

originally posted by: gortex

GDP by sector Agriculture: 0.6% Construction: 6.4% Production: 14.6% Services: 78.4% (2014 est.)

Manufacturing alone is only 11% of GDP from the 14.6% it's from 2014 but we haven't had a massive upsurge in production in the last 2 years

What's more worryingly is the 0.6% agriculture although I'm not surprised as I was paying to attention to the origins of the veg today in Morrisons and majority of it is from europe

Just today I was looking in Morrisons at where all the veg was produced, majority of it was from Europe

So we can buy from other sources now. . And our meat aswell.. roll on new Zealand lamb..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Maybe affording a big juicy steak only once a week could actually be good for you guys since you really grown fat..
Oh you thought commonwealth steak?

Oh you think the meat will be subsidized so anyone can afford it? Aww geez, i think you forgot the Farmers in NZ still want their paycheck..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join