It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blatant Institutional Racism In American Colleges

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Well, that depends, speaking to many despots and people supporting despotic homophobic and pro-slavery ideologies today would say it has nothing to do with colonialism.
It's their true religion or tradition.
If you disagree with them you're a "racist" or "neo-colonialist" too.
If you're white, they'd say the West is trying to impose their wicked democracy and tolerance on the world.
Democracy is not in their "culture".

And nowhere do people have as many civil rights and equality as in Western white majority countries today (except maybe Russia and some former Soviet East European countries, and even they are better than 11 Islamic states with the death sentence for gays).

So looking at it from a global perspective, I don't think the work on human rights has been satisfactory at all, and he's being one-sided.

And I have to say so, but some US liberals get me that way.
They'll scream blue murder about somebody refusing to bake a wedding cake, but they say nothing about gay men being hanged from cranes in Iran, or gay men thrown off buildings.

It's like what ever is anti-Western or anti-white is made a huge deal; but people actually being murdered, and a complete lack of human rights in some African or Islamic countries is ignored.
That is selective morality, and means you're just an albophobe and don't care about human rights at all.
In fact, that silence makes modern slavery and homophobia OK, and your non-white US/Western relative privilege makes you complicit in it then.
You could be doing more, but you waste your time on nonsense.
Go debate those despots and ideologies, and see what they say.
They're murdering people.
That's my point.

Of course people who don't agree with me might call it a "straw-man".
Be my guest.
Just as I might say looking for white prejudice or white privilege all day and night in countries desired for immigration that have human and civil rights is fiddling while Rome is burning, and truly harmful ideologies that rule entire parts of the planet can do exactly what they like, and people's homelands are breaking apart.
And it's spreading.
And that's simply because of anti-white racism.
edit on 24-6-2016 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Oh I agree that those things happen.

However they don't have anything to do with what we can do to help our own country or the op.

Not a liberal either. I didn't know you had to be to point out injustice. Unless you meant classical liberal.

As far as Africa anthropologically speaking it isnt a monolith. Their are tribes that fully accept homosexuality and others that don't. Islam also has variations as you could see in Senegal.

But most historians and anthropologists conservative or liberal agree both the colonization and then the vacuum when they left created massive cultural crisis. Not only that many of these war Lords took advantage of the chaos and reorginazion of the political system.

You will find me bashing Saudi Arabia for their behaviour all the time same with Iran.

Indonesia is actually trying to change and has a fairly moderate president. There are just so many islands and villages it is going to take a while.

I honestly believe no money should go to han erights violators. Including China.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
yea I had to take a white is bad class to graduate as well. $1000 of diversifying. about $12000 worth of classes required in order to diversify us. intro to religion, psychology of women, buddhism, etc. garbage

It would be a quick and easy step to chop these classes off as requirements and save students money...oh wait that's too logical.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

If you want to talk about helping the black community, quit blaming the every day white person. The left has abandoned black America. They pretend that government benefits are "helping." They are too scared to talk about minority crime in this country out of fear of being called racist. Instead of community leaders working toward making people self sufficient, they blame the white man. Gun violence in America? We all know where the majority of that takes place. The same weekend that the Orlando shooting took place, 43 people were shot and killed in Chicago. Now this victim culture is spreading faster than ever before. White people are bad is the common accepted mantra spread throughout schools, college, the media, and in minority communities. When people try to get an education, or do well for themselves, they are called uncle tom's, or harassed for acting white. The excuse's are readily available and encouraged for the failures of urban black America.

If you want to help fix these things, it is time to ditch the excuses, and start being honest about the facts. The culture needs to change if the community is going to change.

And I don't want to hear "you don't know what you are talking about" because I used to live in one of these areas, so I am very well aware of the culture.

And guess what? I got the hell out of there, on my own accord, with NO ASSISTANCE from anyone, government or otherwise. I didn't have a white devil to blame I suppose.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Thanks, agree.

Not sure about "our country".

I'm posting from South Africa, and despite severe problems, we do meet the refugees who come here, despite the fact that we're not a great welfare state.

Whether one calls it "colonialism" or whatever, I'm not convinced Western leftists actually care about it, or that white people are currently to blame.
Neither do I think raging against white privilege will solve any of it.
It's just a major distraction.
Surely we need more balance either way.

People in glass houses ...
And states are bending, terrorist attacks for the world to become one form of ideology are happening everywhere.
And it's not a nice or empowering ideology.
It's convert or die.
And in this climate, where Yazidi slaves can be bought online, they find nothing better to rail against?

No, the leftist rhetoric, and social justice warriors have lost me.
I used to be passionate, but I can no longer support hypocrisy.
In reality they've sold black and lgbt people out in favor of political Islam.
I can't speak for all, but I feel that way - betrayed.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian
It is a common theme to teach that white people are bad. White people are shown as being the oppressors in our modern society.

It is also white people who freed the slaves.

So, maybe there are both good and bad white people, just like everybody else.

The blacks never rose up and freed themselves, you know. The white people did all that.

Besides, blacks tossed blacks into slavery back in Africa, and the white people just bought them, and shipped them over to the US.

So, there were bad black people too. Don't they teach that in the ed system?

Remember, originally, slavery had nothing to do with black or white. You became a slave when a neighboring tribe conquered yours. When the arabs raided europe, they took many white slaves back to the middle east. They don't mention that I guess. Everybody's been a slave at some point in history.

White suppressed their own story of slavery. Nobody likes to think of themselves as being once a slave of someone else.

Our history: Muslims branded white slaves with hot irons – then as well as now

[QUOTE]
American and European historians have studied all aspects of the enslavement of Africans by whites, but have deliberately ignored the slavery of whites by North Africans, during approximately the same period as the transatlantic traffic, and which devastated hundreds of coastal communities. In the thought of today’s nations, slavery is only of blacks, while the Mediterranean slave history is, in fact, more horrible than American slavery. UNESCO behaves with hypocrisy obscuring trafficking in Arabia and Africa, while forgetting the history of abuse of Europeans.
[END QUOTE]

There's a reason why the whites in the west are wary of Islam. And it's not because of Sharia Law or Jihad. It's the "memory" of the prior slave masters, same distaste the blacks feel when they think of their recent chains.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Uh. No.

Muslims took slaves. 100's of communities does not remotely come close to colonialism.

We are talking entire continents of slaves. Not just blacks. Hell whites had white slaves all over Europe.

Look people suck everywhere. Racism is all over the world.

Just don't make the arguement that europeans colonialism is even remotely close to the Moore's and Muslim conquer over southern Europe.

For instance europeans took about 24 million slaves from Africa alone. That doesn't include Asia, South East Asia, North America, South America, and the poor they enslaved in their own countries.

We are talking over 50:1 ratio here if your trying to keep score.

People were barbaric back then. Europeans were just very efficient and powerful compaired to the rest of the world at conquest. The powerful navy helped.

Does that mean I am responsible for any of that. Hell no. I don't feel guilty for it.

I do feel some compassion for the slaves of all colors being brutalized by barbaric people.

Supposedly the first written accounts of racism are actually far eastern Asians where they discriminate over skin color rather than an ethnic group

edit on 24-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Lots of people took slaves and were involved in the slave trade.
At least one million were taken from Europe in Barbary slavery, and under the Islamic rule, many Europeans had to give sons and daughters.

But what's happening today?
Some say there are more slaves than ever.
I mean that should be most pressing.
Lots of documentaries I could link to.

I've linked that people are warned not to go Gulf States today as workers.
How is helping moaning about "white privilege" helping modern slaves?

Horrible things happened in history, but this is happening now!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: TheBulk

The op didn't prove anything at all. He gave an example.

If I give an example of a crazy Christian fundementalist spouting off stuff does that mean every Christian college is promoting those ideas?

It's also historically available to show you blacks were slaves for several hundred years and then forced to live as second class citizens until the mid 60's . After that some serious racial rioting went down until the 70's

The united States government tested the effects of untreated siphulus in blacks under the guise of free health care for almost 20 years. The infected the people and then let them die of a curable disease. They stopped that in 1972. Just a few years before I was born. My mom was in her mid 20's.

They also pumped radiation into the ductwork of poor mostly black apartments during about the same time period to test the effect of radiation. This is on people who would be alive today if they had not died from the expirements.

There are records of politicians in the KKK and still today the ccofc has prominent conservative political speakers. They don't believe races should inter marry.

Do you see anyone talking about the 50 black people who die every couple days in Chicago?

Any vigils on CNN? Time magazine?

Half the time the people killed in these gang shootings are sitting in their living rooms watching TV and have nothing to do with gangs. Nobody is even talking about how to protect those people.

Yeah some radical professors teach black or Latino pride classes and some schools have majors on the topic. You are not forced to take these classes. They are not to my knowledge required at all. Unless you decide to choose a major that coincides with these ideas.

Should the philosophy classes I took 25 years ago have taught me about Carl Marx?

Blacks aren't the only one they often used thr military and prisoners as well . Like when they tested nuclear bombs and had all those people dug in foxholes surrounding it. They claimed it was to get them used to nuclear blasts in reality it was to test the effects of exposure. Anytime a group is controlled by the government there will be abuses has nothing to do with race.
Like the syphilis trials they didn't infect them tour wrong. There was an outbreak instead of treating it with a known cure they chose to try to use experimental medications and even in some allow it to run its course. How could they do this they were responsible for them and there healthcare. They would have done the same with any group that was dependent on the government.
When ever you allow the government to control your lives it can lead to abuse. Race didn't matter in the least it was just thr government taking advantage there control if people.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6/24/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/24/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Thats a really dumb arguement.

First off we can only do so much to someone elses soveriegn country.

Personally I vote libertarian because they don't believe in giving those countries money.

I also try and not buy anything Chinese.

Institutional racism still exists in my country. So I am going to talk about that.

I am also going to address that everything is not racist and yes the cake situation you gave is perfect example.

However the schools and ghettos mixed with a lack of jobs and the manipulation using handouts is a failure of government.

Chicago is at the point of needing the national guard to step in in parts of the city because the police and schools are that bad.

The blacks were never given a fresh starting point. They came from being expiremented on in the 60's and 70's. And segregation. Thats people living not ancient history. My mom was alive during segregation. Do you consider serration institutional racism? What about the government giving black men siphulus to watch the untreated effects disguised as free health care. Until 1972. Look it up.

Then race riots in the 70's. Dude that ain't long enough ago to say it doesn't effect society and communities. Give it a few more generations and at least try to fix schools and provide some law enforcement that will protect the people who aren't in gangs and their property and prosecute and take down the gangs that you catch doing this stuff. But no. The cops politicians and police are in on the money train. Some of these gang leaders are multimillionaires and own commercial property and major assets.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Your post is not making sense. So these second class people were purposely part of a study where the dr's were told NOT to treat the patient. Their wives were infected with this because they chose to not treat the illness. And anyone else they has sex with. The cure for siphulus was created in 1940. There was no reason to find new drugs the already had a cure. The study probably had military application.

So are you saying this was not racist?

What is your point?

Why so much white guilt from everybody. Just admit this bad stuff happened and it happened disproportionately to blacks.

For instance Muslims took 1.4 million europeans for slavery. Europeans took over 24 million blacks from Africa just for the us alone.

That doesn't include India, native Americans, southern Chinese, and everywhere else they conquered and made slaves.

Let's move on and solve the situations of today. But don't pretend everything was equal. It wasn't. Romans were also really good at slavery prior to europeans.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

What argument?
Against slavery?

No historical fact should be left untouched for sure.

But to say that white privilege is currently the biggest problem on the planet is just nonsense.

At least people who make that argument should try and be a bit balanced.
Why's the whole world coming to white majority countries?
What black or Arab majority country would you like to live in?

And sure people can interfere, like they did with Apartheid South Africa before 1994.

Not only that, but the true debate about history is disappearing into sloganeering.
Even well-meaning people are deserting the left.
That is more worrying than anything perhaps.

But the US has a black President.
What more can individual white people do?
You can't say whatever problems there are must be because of whites.

With political power comes responsibility and ownership, and it's been a long time.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I don't believe in white privilege used like that. In fact white men and women are now the ones being talked down about.

That is not the same though as the government creating the type of injustice that was going on 50 years ago. PC stuff is about talking and feelings.

I agree with you though we have serious problems that need attention. Schools being a big one and safety in poor sections of city is another.

Look I get frustrated too when everything is about racism. I make fun of my friends all the time who do that. Oh that crazy preacher said I am going to hell he is a racist. Sorry bud he said the same to me.

When you have people trying to explain European conquest away and compare it to the Barbary slave trades though is really just ignoring how widespread colonialism actually was. Check out a Map sometime of it. Then read about what went down in all those places.

The Japanese were barbaric and have slaves too. They just were not taking them by 10's of millions.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Pakistan and Indonesia have had women presidents what is your point they dont subjugate woman?

And dude stop with the Arab crap I already addressed it and have for years here.

I think the regressive left has ignored the human rights issue there pretending to accept everyone as beautiful multictural world.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

What, have you read about the Japanese conquest of Manchuria and China?
A major genocide.
Still a bitter issue in the region.
Also how they treated the indigenous Ainu (close to extinction).

There's tribal people all over Asia who were treated like dirt.
The Andaman Islanders are still in a human zoo.

Tribal people in remote parts of India are constantly tortured between Marxist militias and government forces.
The Wild West frontier is alive in Asia and Africa.

And colonialism wasn't always a binary "black/white" affair.
It happened with the collusion of local tribes, nations and royal families.
Cortez and Pizarro took native mistresses and had major Indian armies.
The Incas and Aztecs weren't exactly popular.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

A funny thing I have always noticed about these things is that it usually doesn't bother white people.

Not sure why, and it never bothered me much either, and I usually felt sorry for the poor fools who have nothing better to do than blame the white race for their troubles.

The media and Obama are currently fueling these things to continue while they claim to be in defense of minorities, but what they are actually doing is spitting upon them and furthering a divide that wouldn't be there to this degree otherwise.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

It's OK for a 9-year-old girl to have her genitalia cut off without anesthesia?

Would it be OK if it was your daughter?

How would you like it?

Oh, it's their culture.

I can't show here what they do in Indonesia, but you think that's OK?

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
this is why I try to teach my kids to challenge everything. they are pretty tough to fool

its shame you have to take these classes, should be elective all the way

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Pygmies cannibalized: www.theguardian.com...

In living memory, we have seen cruelty, massacres, genocide, but we have never seen human beings hunted and eaten literally as though they were game animals, as has recently happened,’ Sinafasi Makelo, Mbuti spokesman.

www.survivalinternational.org...

Want to tell me about racism?
Check out Asia and Africa.
And it's not whites.

Let's not even start with what happens to many people with Albinism in Africa.
Killed and dismembered for witchcraft.
Yeah not even a thread on ATS.
That's happening to people!
en.wikipedia.org...

It's a non-white privilege, because actually we should be telling those cultures and ethnicities day and night how crap they are, and how disgusted we are.
But we don't.
We know, but we have manners.
But don't expect me to be impressed.
I know what's going on and who's doing it.
And that's not even half of it.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Ate you the king of strawmans?

What do you plan on doing about a country you have zero control over?

I never mentioned any part of your assinine argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join