It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Votes to Leave EU

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
I do hope it will work out well for the UK but i'm less positive about all this.
The EU is the largest trading partner for the UK, almost half of the total export is to member states within the EU.

Even worse many of our major exporters are owned by companies based on the continent. Most of the companies worth dealing with tbh are actually German! Are they going to keep producing here in the UK when they've got Poland and Slovakia to transfer production to? I'm scared and as you state "less positive about all this."

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: earthling42
I do hope it will work out well for the UK but i'm less positive about all this.
The EU is the largest trading partner for the UK, almost half of the total export is to member states within the EU.

[/quote

Even worse many of our major exporters are owned by companies based on the continent. Most of the companies worth dealing with tbh are actually German! Are they going to keep producing here in the UK when they've got Poland and Slovakia to transfer production to? I'm scared and as you state "less positive about all this."

Swings and roundabouts mate I know loads of factory's that left for cheaper labour in Poland . Hope they come back soon !
edit on 30-6-2016 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

Yeah know where you are coming from. Around here in the industrial heartland of the UK it has been mental. So many places have uprooted and gone for some slavstate in the east. But things can still get worse, much worse as so many of the really decent top flight manufacturers employing workers in the UK are not from here. The vast majority of companies around Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derby, I'm talking about the top of the chain devourers of all the small factories, every one bar JCB are foreign owned and most from the continent.................... largely Germany! They can pull these places like Bentley, Siemens, Airbags etc out of here in no time and then all the small suppliers will be done for. This is serious stuff and I really do expect the worst.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

We were(and are) in the EU that is what we just had the referendum on.

The fact that we are not in the Euro zone and a few other exceptions we have has nothing to do with us being able to hold a referendum.

Interesting that you mention the US constitution, can you point to the section of the UK constitution that gives sovereignty to the people?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

If you do not think a lawyer could find a connection between the Brexit vote, her home country (UK) and the timing of the release from her role then it is a very naive way of looking at it.

I never said that. I am the one who recommended she Lawyer Up and she has.

However, I refer you to this article from the Spanish PM before the vote: Source

Leaving the European Union would mean that British citizens would lose their right to move freely, work and do business

So it seems the Spanish government has the intent to pressure British Cits for the vote. The Brexit vote definitely means nothing right now, and if enough Cits pressure they government they will find a way to nullify it. They already are doing just that.

Sometimes when people throw temper tantrums they don't consider all the ill effects it could bring, even potential lawsuits from ousting the people you are mad at.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So it seems the referendum isn't legally binding and Brexit could still be slowed or stopped altogether, It appears that TPTB can and will do anything they want regardless of how people feel. Let's just face it, we'll get shafted no matter what.

www.bbc.com...
edit on 3062016 by MrCrow because: Added the word "Brexit" for clarity

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

No referendums are legally binding in this country - no one in either camp claimed they were before the referendum either. That is not how our system works.

The point of the referendum was to gauge the appetite for withdrawal within the UK. They now have that answer.

I am starting to see these claims a lot now through media and social media - it just demonstrates how many people do not understand our own system, which frankly is quite depressing.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

No referendums are legally binding in this country - no one in either camp claimed they were before the referendum either. That is not how our system works.

The point of the referendum was to gauge the appetite for withdrawal within the UK. They now have that answer.

I am starting to see these claims a lot now through media and social media - it just demonstrates how many people do not understand our own system, which frankly is quite depressing.

It is depressing.

People are dumb.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrowLet's just face it, we'll get shafted no matter what.

Who will get shafted? Who is the "we"?

While referenda are not legally binding per se, the UK will leave the EU. How and when is undecided. The severance will either be total, or more likely as is already being discussed, the UK will become an "associate" member of the EU. What this means is unknown and may result in another referendum to endorse.

The issue here is that the EU needs the UK. Otherwise the EU just becomes a hybrid mix of German indecision and French self interest. If it goes down that road then the EU is finished. The fact that there is colossal groupthink plaguing the EU at the moment indicates the scale of the problem. EDIT to add that while I dislike Farage, he has ineloquently described the EUs failure to act. The fact Juncker continues to ignore and look pompously on with a smirk on his face when Farage gets up to rant, is a real clue to the problem. There is a lack of reality at the heat of the EU.

Ultimately, the UK may get what it originally wanted, and what Cameron did not achieve. A good deal for the UK.
edit on 30/6/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: Denoli

Yeah know where you are coming from. Around here in the industrial heartland of the UK it has been mental. So many places have uprooted and gone for some slavstate in the east. But things can still get worse, much worse as so many of the really decent top flight manufacturers employing workers in the UK are not from here. The vast majority of companies around Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derby, I'm talking about the top of the chain devourers of all the small factories, every one bar JCB are foreign owned and most from the continent.................... largely Germany! They can pull these places like Bentley, Siemens, Airbags etc out of here in no time and then all the small suppliers will be done for. This is serious stuff and I really do expect the worst.

We will watch it unfold ,but I can't see us doing bad out of this really , it just means shifting operations back here.

We have to play hardball in the negotiations . We just need to put our foot down

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
Thank you for that assessment of me. Just for your info I've never bothered with politics up until now so, no, I don't know how it works. Thank you for learning me xx

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I don't believe I said you were dumb.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
[The fact Juncker continues to ignore and look pompously on with a smirk on his face when Farage gets up to rant, is a real clue to the problem.

And that's the key to it all.

And what I have been going on and on about but the Remain supporters don't seem to want to acknowledge.

The fact that the Eurocrats live on another planet.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

We will watch it unfold ,but I can't see us doing bad out of this really , it just means shifting operations back here.

We have to play hardball in the negotiations . We just need to put our foot down

But that may be the opposite of what will happen. The EU do protect industry with tariffs. In my main sector there is a 70% tariff on imports from China, now Britain is all about free trade, when the new independent UK gos down this route many companies currently here won't be able to compete on the unfair commie slave labour Chinese fixed currency playing field. There will be a slaughter in the sector. You add to this all the local companies owned by Germans etc being relocated (what a time/excuse) to the east and we could be totally slaughtered by the current direction we are going in. Add to this new start ups from Korea/USA/Japanbeing placed in the EU zone, well they certainly aren't going to find the UK attractive are they when we aren't even in the club. That dumb ass geezer Boris Johnson has destroyed this country and its future, thanks the lord he's not being given backing to be PM

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
HAHA the Liberal Democrats said if there is a election they will run on the platform of blocking the Brexit.

Yeah Democrats..... Try Liberal Hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

and if they win (cough) can we have another referendum?
2nd
f

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
For the benefit of those ATS members overseas, here's a summary of where the UK is at, courtesy of a wise Facebook user.

"So, let me get this straight... the leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave, so his party held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else could lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which many people now think was just angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they’d all done nothing to help them.

Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined any chance of leading because the man who thought he couldn’t lose, did - but resigned before actually doing the thing the vote had been about. The man who’d always thought he’d lead next, campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash - and he was, but it did, but he’s not resigned, but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can’t become leader. Which means the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead.

Which means she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party’s view of this view is the opposite of the opposition’s. And the opposition aren’t yet opposing anything because the leader isn’t listening to his party, who aren’t listening to the country, who aren’t listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all. However, none of their opponents actually want to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there’s not yet anything actually on the table to oppose anyway. And if no one ever does do the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic and if any one ever does do it, it will be awful."

Hope that clarifles the position.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

After threatening to leave HSBC is doing a U turn?

www.independent.co.uk...

11 Countries queuing up to do business with us!!

heatst.com...

New Zealand offers the services of its top negotiators!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
... courtesy of a wise Facebook user.

Is that possible?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Not normally, no.

Although it's a neat explanation for how ridiculous the current situation is.

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42 >>

join