It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Votes to Leave EU

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: B14ckC47
Northern Ireland has always shown that it does not want to be part of a united Ireland. That is the only reason why the counties were detached in the first place.
No, if Ulster is going to look for a way to remain in the EU, the natural, logistical connection is with Scotland.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

When, on the other hand, the REMAINJ camp had won by such a small percentage, the signal would have been clear that the EU needs reforms and both halves of the population would have goten something out of this. And the EU.

BULL#!

You did not need a UK vote to tell you that! Its been plain clear the EU needed reform since the eary 2000!

As clear as it was the EU bucked all attempts at reform.

The beurocrates made it clear there was never going to be any reform.

And mad Merkal put the iceing on the cake by opening the gates to the middle east.

The EU was its own leave campaign!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

I would put your energy in preventing the Netherlands from Leaving the EU rather than replying to me with your crap.
I hear the Dutch are even more EU-sceptic than us!!

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Normally decisions with such a massive implact on people need a 3/4 majority to take effect, but it seems that in this case, it is simply forced upon half of the people without their consent.

If neither side has a majority of that size, your doctrine leads to the absurd conclusion that neither option is valid. Then what do we do?
On voting day itself, YouGov were forecasting the exact reverse; 52% Remain, 48% Leave. If this had been the actual result, there is no doubt at all that the Remain campaign would have accepted it as valid and would have insisted on imposing it on the half of the population who wanted to Leave.
So their current attitude that "the margin wasn't big enough" is sheer, unscrupuluous, hypocrisy.
We went into the referendum on those terms. A majority would be decisive.

P.S.

I can't recall the BBC making a statement about them wanting to leave (nor remain in) the EU.

Don't be innocent. An organisation running news programmes has more indirect ways of influencing public opinion.

edit on 25-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The kids at Glastonbury are feeling down.

Maybe If they voted instead of partying...

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
What galls me is that I've got newspapers (oh great bastions of truth....er) and my daughter telling me that on Social Media (a device designed to detach people from people) they are saying that leave voters are racist. The annoying thing for me as a leave voter is that I did it because I feel there's a lot more to gain by leaving the sinking ship that is the EU, the things it offered back in the 70's have morphed in to a political conglomerate there to control the bidding of the members and to serve the purposes of the US (Obama's UK speech anyone, a gutless and cowardly threat).

I wonder how the US would feel if it had to BEG Eurocrats in Brussels to make trade deals for them based on EU concerns that they had zero say in and didn't even get to participate in. I bet that would go down well.

Is immigration part of my vote, yes, in as much as I feel it needs controls to stop the BOMB that Merkel and Blair landed on all of the EU, ask any of these countries if they can meet the demands of the people arriving and none will truthfully say yes, there's simply a lack of housing, a schools demand, a medical demand etc that are too high to keep up with. But where in that have I mentioned Radical Islam or the colour of faces, NOWHERE...

Immigration MUST be done as a business, cherry picking is a must and genuine cases dealt with on ability to offer them something....Common sense...

I personally just feel that beyond the shackles of the EU we can handle our ability to self rule and trade more efficiently, I'm watching as countries in the EU struggle to survive and I have no doubt that for some its BECAUSE of the Eurocrats in Brussels, but Greece is about to implode again and will need a 3rd bailout and likely a 4th and maybe 5th, Spain and Italy are seen to be having a hard time and as we have finally seen from the leaks from the liars like Cameron, that Turkey was / is on a fast tracking option, all the drivel about veto's and 10yrs is political speak, like Greece they will be added asap and as seen they will put their hands out and DEMAND HUGE SUMS OF CASH as they have done over the agreement (they are not keeping) with refugee movement).

That for me is a sinking ship and call me a rat if you want but its human to want to survive and for me NONE of this is about race / colour yet my daughter is getting idiots calling her racist because her mixed race marriage parents BOTH voted out.

That folks isn't social justice, its youth not knowing better forming a lynching squad because they do not have the longevity of social interaction we as older folk have had and they are losing the skill to actually know people, as in meeting people and hanging out with them to find out how they really act and not sitting on a screen or reading a tweet and being socially engineered to follow the herd mentality.

I'm not a racist thug with kill back people written on my knuckles, I'm a 55yr old (soon) man who has had a 34yr marriage with my Muslim Guyanese (by family) wife, we have both had amazing jobs and also bad times but have a beautiful mixed race daughter who just happen to think we need out of the EU....Sadly we and others are being labelled racists.

Sad really..

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
I'm really puzzled by the younger generation preferring the status quo.
Isn't it normally the case that the young want to get stuck in and fight the establishment? How can there be anything more "establishment" than the EU and the leaders of the Remain campaign?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mclaneinc

Quiet frankly i want to see a fairer immigration system.

First before we take in more I want to see the infrastructure put i place to serve the ones we already have.
We need the schools and hospitals in place or its not fair on anyone.

Then i want to see (controlled ) immigration openend up to the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tweetie

Soros also made around $1 billion from a short sale, back in '92 on Black Wednesday www.abovetopsecret.com...

He may be publicly "opposed" to the UK leaving EU, but he profits off of financial voodoo and is probably being strategic when he says this

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
a reply to: ForteanOrg

I would put your energy in preventing the Netherlands from Leaving the EU rather than replying to me with your crap.
I hear the Dutch are even more EU-sceptic than us!!

Yeah I hope the nexit will become popular and we'll have a referendum and leave EU as well. I believe it'll make my life a lot easier. Good for the British.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Actually when the first votes for leave came in I wacked £500 against the pound and another £500 against the euro on US dollars and made £200.

I was obviously the US doller for once was going to win whatever the outcome was, especially when there was such a huge diffrence between Scottish and English votes indicateing instability.
edit on 25-6-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Aye they're idiots.

I voted remain but im pretty sure my family was split down the middle.

None of them are racists and i can say that as a statement of fact.

It is just a bit unfortunate the age discrepancy in the voting. The younger generation live longer with a decision they didnt make.

A fair few will qualify and emigrate i would imagine

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheWisestCumbrian
It is just a bit unfortunate the age discrepancy in the voting. The younger generation live longer with a decision they didnt make.

A fair few will qualify and emigrate i would imagine

I agree the age discrepancy is a bit unfortunate however I believe when they have matured and found the ability to think rationally and for themselves, they will be grateful that they still have the ability to vote for and to remove our law makers.

The EU is going to self destruct and leave behind a lot of chaos across Europe.
They will be glad we jumped ship at our last opportunity.

Independence Day will go down in history as one of the greatest achievements for democracy and the people and once again show the Brits leading the way!

edit on 83153bAmerica/ChicagoSat, 25 Jun 2016 06:53:47 -05003016 by 83Liberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mclaneinc
What galls me is that I've got newspapers (oh great bastions of truth....er) and my daughter telling me that on Social Media (a device designed to detach people from people) they are saying that leave voters are racist.

The British are leaving... The British are leaving...

Getch yer muskets ready ye old Brit Neo-Confederates. European Union troops are a marchin' on London. Thar comin' tew enslave us all, even my paw. We're a gonna have us uh PCivil War. It's sister & gays & trannies & minorities all vs. brother. Saddle up the mule... Ye haw!
edit on 25-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom
I'm really puzzled by the younger generation preferring the status quo.
Isn't it normally the case that the young want to get stuck in and fight the establishment? How can there be anything more "establishment" than the EU and the leaders of the Remain campaign?

I am really puzzled by that response. I'm looking at Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and even Farage and pondering exactly who you think the 'establishment' really are?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone
a reply to: Substracto

My friend. I actually think UK leaving EU was stupid. The young people have no more choice except to stay in the country..

I hate UK..

They have some fked up laws.. Like..

For istance they kill foxes for fun. If you find a wounded fox you have to either leave it to die, or adopt it. Foxes are considered pests, like rats and cocroaches.

Foxes are carnivorous creatures which eat other animals like chickens, lambs, calves and household pets like cats and dogs. This isn't good from a farmers point of view. But specially breeding foxes solely for the purpose of a hunt isn't that much better either.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
I am really puzzled by that response. I'm looking at Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and even Farage and pondering exactly who you think the 'establishment' really are?

Well, the "Remain" side had the government, the leadership of the main parties, the voice of the Bank of England and other leading elements in the financial system, the sympathy of the BBC, and the EU as an organisation, together with the governments of the member countries. That's fairly "establishment".

edit on 25-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The fallacy of useing economics to put off seekers of freedom was dire.

Most countrys have had to shed copious amounts of blood to gain freedom and sovereignty.

A couple of years of slow growth or at worst a small recession is a bargin price to pay.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979
Yeah I hope the nexit will become popular and we'll have a referendum and leave EU as well. I believe it'll make my life a lot easier. Good for the British.

Clearly, you weren't around in the "good old days" when we WERE a "sovereign" nation. But I was and I can assure you that the current situation, even though it is far from ideal, outweights what we had in the 1960s.

How is it that you believe that having borders, border controls, smugglers, ever competing currencies, additional taxes on "foreign" (e.g. British, Belgian..) products, varying rules and regulations between countries and other blessings of nationalism will make your life better beats me. The Dutch totally depend on two things: natural gas and trade. The first is quickly running out, the second would be severely hampered if we re-installed the old nationalistic #e again.

I am a proud member of a Dutch political party that is very Euroskeptical. We have good reasons to be. But I would never vote to leave a union that all in all HAS worked quite good in many respects,. It has saved us from further wars for over 60 years now. Yes, we need reforms, that has been quite clear for decades now. But leaving? For what? For the illusion of being in control?

My friend, you will be no more in control if we left the EU than you are now. I'm Dutch, I know what I'm talking about. I live in a part of the country that has been structurally bled dry by the Dutch Government, that suffers from earthquackes because of so called "national" interests (read: money can be earned by selling our natural gas), that has never been compensated in any way for our losses. It's still one of the economically weakest region in Europe. And yes, we have the right to vote. So we do. Quite useless, alas, nothing ever changes for us. And that would not really be much better if we were OUT of the EU.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

It has saved us from further wars for over 60 years now.

Isn't that what NATO does?

I live in a part of the country that has been structurally bled dry by the Dutch Government, that suffers from earthquackes because of so called "national" interests (read: money can be earned by selling our natural gas), that has never been compensated in any way for our losses. It's still one of the economically weakest region in Europe.

So what has the EU done directly to save your region from all that, that your own nation would not?

If you dont have an answer, after arguing how your own 'close' government bureaucracy never cared, now you're arguing in favor of an even larger more disparate and untouchable mega-bureaucracy echelon on top of the one that always failed you.

One mans "progress" is another mans nightmare, I guess.
edit on 25-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join