It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Votes to Leave EU

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

We can have guns it's just not in our culture.
I agree on the hate speech stuff though I like to know people's real views.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
In my opinion, this will not be the end of the european union, but it might well be the end of the united kingdom.

I think you are mistaken Nick...but time will tell.

And yes...UK got it's freedom back. From whom you ask ? From the faceless bureaucrats that direct policies that care only for the big busyness. Whether they are EU or UK ones...it's all the same.

You seem to equate UK policy makers with UK people...they are not the same...as in any other country.

Do you support your own govt policies ? What about times when Milosevic was in power ?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: Substracto

The EU is fine as a trading block. As a United States of . . . it has huge problems. Maybe they will get back to being just a trading block. I don't think the UK will be the last country to leave. Maybe this will force a reorganization of the entity.

Well put. Europe is too diverse culturally to have a "national identity." The EU was a noble attempt to unify the continent as a single economic and political bloc, making it a counterweight to the United States and China. Unfortunately, it was a three legged stool, and with Britain going, Germany and France may not be able to resolve their politico-economic differences. Poland might have been able to fill that "power vacuum" had it developed more rapidly and not stumbled down the path to Fascism again.

There will be economic chaos as divisive issues like immigration and fiscal policy drive a wedge between northern and southern Europe. A unified currency makes no sense without a unified fiscal policy, so we may see the return of national currencies, and, ultimately, a devolution back to the European Economic Community: mutual most favored nation status, reduced travel barriers, but a more Westaphalian attitude towards internal and foreign affairs.

Now if they can only have a referendum to bring back £Sd and the Imperial measures....
edit on 24-6-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I don't think the UK tought this trough.. Scotland already wants to separate to stay in EU, N-Ireland will want to do the same thing.
Europe will just change it's focus to the east and ask for import taxes from the UK, the UK will have to agree, because they live on an island. They cannot ask for import taxes or life would become a lot more expensive for the Brits..
I feel bad for the young people there who voted NO, it's the old people who voted yes and who made the Brexit reality. Old people will die and the youth will have to live with their decisions

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

You may be right, however I think this will be a wake up call for the EU and the impetus will be there to prevent this from happening elsewhere. I was hoping for a close result with the opposite view, which would have given the reformists a stronger hand in Brussels. Going back to the negotiation table saying 'look, you've just dodged a bullet there.'

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I think it is amusing that Donald Trump has gone to Scotland on business just as this vote was held. He is on the spot for a momentous decision but will probably be continuing to aggravate the Scots, since he favored the Brexit, which the Scots voted massively against. Oh well . . . . plus ca change . . .

www.theguardian.com...

Republican White House hopeful Donald Trump has expressed full-throated support for the Brexit referendum victory at a press conference at Turnberry in Ayrshire.

He said there were parallels with the US and elsewhere. “People do not necessarily want people pouring over their borders,” he said. “The UK will be stronger for it.

“They have taken their independence back. They can block anyone coming in they do not think is appropriate.”

He said the outcome had reflected the will of the people. “We will embrace it,” he said.

edit on 24-6-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'm so happy we are leaving the EU. I thought there was no chance when the odds drifted form 6/4 to 5/1...but the bookies got it wrong badly. I know of a person who put £100k on remain at 2/5. Poor guy.

It will still take 2 years to implement, plus we will now need to do a Scotland exit vote to appease the Scottish people and may have started a snowball of the people ( other European countries ) having a say about there willingness to remain in the EU. I think france and the Dutch have suggested this may happen.

Either way..."WE MADE IT MA"...

What is interesting though is the whole of Scotland, N Ireland and London wished to remain but it wasn't enough. Wales and the northerners prevailed.

Also interesting fact of the day: 9000 people from Manchester ticked both boxes. Lmao. Gotta love the manks. I didn't realise man utds squad was that big.

edit on 24-6-2016 by GemmyMcGemJew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have to say as an American, I am proud of you Brits. Stand proud and be your own.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
100k ? Deserves everything he gets !
What a fool

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

Not really. He would have backed it at 1.4 (2/5) and laid it at 1.12 (1/8 ) if he was smart. Would have made a killing. These people like to deal with guaranteed money rather than gambles.

But yer if he just gambled he would look rather silly now.

Does anyone feel that Saturn's moon titan needs a referendum?

edit on 24-6-2016 by GemmyMcGemJew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
There is a lot of soul searching going on in Europe right now, with people like Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders saluting the Brexit victory and calling for their own referendums, and people like Angela Merkel lauding Europe and its era of peace and urging a strong engagement with Europeans to sell the value of the EU and to examine ways to address dissatisfaction among its citizens.

www.lemonde.fr... .html

Translation:

In a statement on television, the president of the European Parliament, the German Social Democrat Martin Schulz, said for his part he would "meet with Chancellor Angela Merkel" in order to "avoid" a domino effect . "

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
the people have voted and now is the time to prepare for article 50 and beyond.

are the positions of all remain politicians now untenable? can they continue to represent the majority decision?

personally I doubt it. perhaps a culling within parliament will occur.
what I did find amusing is that a number of labour politicians have tabled a no-confidence motion against mr corbyn to be heard monday. if this fails will their positions become untenable? no interrobang as yet.

the two year plan from article 50 should involve ridding this island of all nukes before they give EVERYONE cancer, develop clean energies and deep geo-thermal, kick out the frackers and treat the most vulnerable with the respect they so deserve.

f

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This does not surprise me, destiny has America and the UK being closer than Germany and the UK.

I am sure the next prime minister and Trump will get along very well.

From Trump

America is proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder w/a free & ind UK. We stand together as friends, as allies, & as a people w/a shared history.

edit on 24-6-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
As an American, of English decent, I've not commented on the Brexit vote as much as possible before the vote was cast, because that is British business. I'm happy that the English people decided on retaking the reigns of sovereignty for their Nation. It gives me hope that Western Civilization will survive and flourish. OF course their will be market and economic turmoil. It was a very brave decision by the British People.

I don't think things will change that much really, even with European relations. Nothing changes with NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty was signed long before the EU was even possible. And NATO is basically the US, the UK, then everyone else currently (France and Germany have at times been closer in parity with US/UK than they are now). Britain has the Commonwealth and nothing should change too much with US, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.

Europe has to decide if it really wants more than an economic union. The British have said "not with us in it". I think the dreams of a totally united Europe are foolish anyway. There is no way a singe political body can adequately make rules that mutually benefit such a linguistic, cultural, and economically diverse area. NATO can still work because powerful forces outside of Europe can still present a danger to Europe in it's entirety, particularly Russia and forces in the Islamic world.

I'm less concerned about other nationalist movements in Europe than I am about Scottish Independence or Irish reunification for the UK though. However, they are Nations within a Nation and if they choose to go it alone or reunify in the near future, they are entitled to their wishes.

At any rate despite the uncertainties I'm very proud of the British People choosing leave. It was the courageous thing to do.
edit on 24-6-2016 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is a real slap in the face to globalism. People like the nation state and they like their own cultures. They don't feel that they must bear the burden, in unwanted immigration, of every ham fisted foreign policy pratfall perpetrated by their leaders in the Middle East or anywhere else.

link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No one shat it fae anything , it was simply down to the fact we have so many loyalists up here that still love to drag their knuckles and shout rule britannia living in some sort of golden era British empire dream land
who have a picture of the queen on their wall a red hand of ulster and a sash and flute in the cupboard

Im joking its nothing to do with those troglodytes , there was a lot of fear mongering much like the whole EU ref
however I still dont trust those results of indy ref because there were so many dodgy things going on but that's dead and buried now
so no point beating the duke of wellingtons horse

end of the day we can still get pished forget about it and stick a middle finger up to the tories as England burns itself to the ground at the hands of thousands upon thousands of disenchanted youths with no future !

God save the queen
The fascist regime
They made you a moron
Potential H-bomb

God save the queen
She ain't no human being
There is no future
In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want
Don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future,
No future for you

Anyways where is my crumpets dropped from spitfires ? where is my rule brittania poster and keep calm and carry on #e
where is my signed picture from boris, if we are meant to be a better together union I want some free propaganda for my living room!

edit on 24-6-2016 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

I logged in just to Star this post, i cannot stress how strongly it resonates with me.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nonzenz123

well if ye don't have your own plan you are a part of someone else's

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyTrick

Donald Trump kissing Gary Busey? lol (joking)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

it seems the working class people have had enough of the political classes and kicked them via the ballot boxes.

we are strong and we will ride out the coming bumps.
f

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join