It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've Got Movie Sign! 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' To Return Soon!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Full title truncated to fit title bar:

We've Got Movie Sign! 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' To Return Soon! PLUS - Reunion show!

If you're already a fan, there's nothing more to say

And for those not familiar with the show, I'll let the article try to explain the premise:

For those unaware, Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a high-concept, low budget, comedy TV series that ran for eleven seasons on various networks from 1988 to 1999. The show was the brain child of comedian Joel Hodgson.

The show is about a man who is shot into space by evil scientists. Marooned in space, he is forced to watch bad movies. To keep from going insane, Joel Robinson builds himself a pair of wise-cracking robot companions to keep him company. Every week the mad scientists (aka 'The Mads) fire off an excruciatingly bad movie for their orbiting lab rat and his robot pals, Servo and Crow, to endure.

But that is just the set-up. All of that is merely an excuse to get Joel and the 'bots in a darkened theater to make fun of some of the world's worst movies - all for our enjoyment! After some banter between Joel and the Mads at the top of the show, an alarm would sound and Joel would loudly exclaim "WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!"

Yup! We get to watch them do what we all do -- make fun of bad movies!!! Silly? Surreal? Yup!

Some movies are so bad, they seem to be begging to be mocked. And that is what made Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K for short) so amazingly funny. It seems silly, really. We the viewers are watching other people watch a movie. Its almost surreal. The results, however, are hysterically funny. The image of Joel (or Mike) and his robot companions in silhouette against a giant screen as they roast the hell out of some terrible movie is forever ingrained in every fan's memory.

I tried to explain the concept to my sister once long long ago and she just wasn't getting it. Months later she called me and said, "As soon as I saw it I knew that's what you were talking about but I thought you were crazy then!"

So the good news is that after a very successful GoFundMe campaign, they now have 14 new episodes ready to go -- including a Christmas episode as well as a reunion episode -- but they don't have an outlet to the air them yet.... Wherever it is -- or whatever it is -- if I don't have it already, I'll just have to get it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Great. I was just watching it on Pluto TV.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Awww -- lucky you! All we've got is the basic Dish package, and I haven't seen it for years and years -- but I'd love to. We've always wondered why it was never syndicated. Some shows are unavoidable (like "Friends"). You'd think someone could find room for MST3K.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Compared to other shows/movies that try to make comebacks... I have a high level of confidence they can recapture that same magic.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Me too. Especially because the originals are still involved, though they do have new cast members too. I recognized one of them, and he's a pretty funny guy from what I've seen him in. I have high hopes!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You can watch the old ones for free on Pluto TV. MST3K has it's own channel. Just go to the webpage. Been using Pluto for a couple of months. Lots of fun content. Really like the science channels and the conspiracy channel. Onion channel also funny.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I already bought my ticket for the reunion show. I'm a long time fan. I remember laughing my ass off as a 13 year old kid and my family and I still watch it regularly to this day.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
One of the funniest shows ever.
Crossing my fingers they do it right.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have been waiting patiently for this moment for over a decade. I think Trace (my avatar) might even attend. Life just isn't the same without finding this show on the tube. I YouTube the episodes, but damn. They have 20 years of crap movies to catch up on.

Super stoked.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Crazy! That show was so cooooool!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Finally some good news in this crazy world. I can't wait..Thanx for the FYI

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Thank you! I had no idea... I'm not much for watching TV, and hadn't even checked it out. I can't wait to tell my hubby about Pluto TV. He does enjoy watching TV, and that might be fun for him when he had to work out of town.

And Onion? Haha! Can't wait!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Good for you! It never occurred to me to look for it elsewhere -- d'oh! (And my loss!) But back in the day, we were the parents watching it with our kids -- and laughing hysterically. Just good old family time. No swearing, no sex, no violence (well, maybe a little, but not like so many movies).

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

We've been hoping for years too! And then looking forward to it since they started the GoFundMe campaign. I can't believe they had to go there to get it done -- you'd think someone would have jumped on this. But whatever. It's done... it's coming... and it's so cool!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

It sure is refreshing for some happy news, eh? And I sure needed to lighten up, so I found this at just the right time!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the live show. I'm really hoping that Rifftrax releases a downloadable version of this show after they do it. I really can't wait for the new episodes though! This is exciting. MST3K is one of the best shows ever created!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Rifftrax - These guys are bringing back a lot of old MST3K episodes in addition to their standard Rifftrax stuff.

PS: I REALLY hope they do Birdemic on the new MST3K episodes. One of the best all time Rifftrax they made. It's like the Manos Hands of Fate of Rifftrax.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Outstanding, Boadicea. Bumped to orbit if I could.
Tom Servo's writers were among the best ever, and
the grist for viewing stock was almost as trashy as
Svengoolie's. Good news for the upper channel red
eyes among us.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Rifftrax - These guys are bringing back a lot of old MST3K episodes in addition to their standard Rifftrax stuff.

PS: I REALLY hope they do Birdemic on the new MST3K episodes. One of the best all time Rifftrax they made. It's like the Manos Hands of Fate of Rifftrax.

Thanks for the link! Yesterday was the first I heard of Rifftrax, and now I'm soooo looking forward to it. We're going to check it out this weekend, when my hubby can enjoy it too.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

Outstanding, Boadicea. Bumped to orbit if I could.

Haha! Love that!!!

They were the best -- seriously. And it was fun for everyone -- young or old, male or female, rich or poor. They were just so darn funny!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join