It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trying to Quit Smoking Is Not Going Well At All

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:00 PM
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

All I do is rebuilds
I don't do any modding either though (well, not as I define it, ymmv). Thought about doing a DIY DNA200, but just don't care enough. Might do it eventually if I get bored..

My point was more that with modern chipsets, the "plug-n-playability" is just about equal between premade coil heads and personally wrapped coils. Its quite wonderful, actually.

edit on 23-6-2016 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:03 PM
a reply to: RAY1990

I heard a reliable source about somebody who I guessed dabbled a bit with the stuff the brain produces during dream time, and despite going thru the ultimate tragedy that year still managed to quit as a result. Was able to even be around them all the time and not be a big deal.

Those others though, if I were to try all that I dont think I would want to without some healthy beers involved, which would ruin the whole intention herein.

Yeah, rule number one is you have to quit drinking first if you think you're going to quit smoking. Bad news for the bar scene folks (I hate bars), I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:10 PM
a reply to: WhiteHat

Started Smoking when I was aged 9 and stopped aged 55 using e.gigs and i loved smoking but started on ecigs and gave fags away that day.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:10 PM
a reply to: Serdgiam

I've thought about rebuilding. I even have a few tanks that came with rba decks and a pre wrapped coil. I just don't have the time to start working it all out.

and the enormous coils you can get premade give me a decent experience, at least until I look for the hobby experience of building my own. Have you seen the triple coil that smok puts in the tfv4? Its huge.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:11 PM

originally posted by: RAY1990

I feel for you, it's a terrible habit which I still very much enjoy. I've cut down a heck of a lot because I felt like I was going anaemic but I'm not willing nor ready to quit myself yet
Ultimately you have to want to quit otherwise you most certainly will smoke again. Just think about the money you will save or the health you'll gain. I've quit a few times and I do enjoy the benefits.

But gosh darn it I love a good smoke

That is true, you will KNOW when it is time. You will hit a rock bottom.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:34 PM

Seriously, get a vape pen. You can start off at full nicotine and wean yourself down if you want...but it's not a chemical addiction that's your problem, so it likely won't matter about that. But if it makes you feel better to puff, and it's causing you serious distress trying to stop, a vape pen honestly helps.

Go to a proper vape shop and invest in a really good one that creates a good vapor. They'll have different strengths, etc. and most have a vape bar, where you can sample the flavors. They also know their stuff and can answer your questions perfectly. Don't waste money on programs...the chemical addiction is gone after the first ten days or so anyway. After that, it's all psychological. I'm a smoker, btw, so I understand.

Good luck to you.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:56 PM

Just so we can clarify for those who aren't as experienced:

The vapor is produced by metal coils that are wrapped around a wicking material. In some atomizers, these come premade in a nice little package. Usually, the coil and wick will be contained in a metal case with some holes in it. There are also atomizers that allow us to make this coil and wick on our own, called RBA, RTA, RDTA, and more acronyms.. For these, you can still buy coils that are prewrapped (though they wont have the little metal case, just a coil with two leads), or you can wrap your own. There are an obscene amount of different ways to wrap the coil. I prefer a basic spaced coil, claptons, and alien coils. The premade coil heads and prewrapped coils are about equal in price, usually $2-$5 each, depending on atomizer. It takes ~5 inches of wire to make a basic coil, and we can get 30ft. of that wire for the same $2-$5 dollars (on fasttech). Pretty large difference..

So, before the more advanced chipsets came out, we had to be very, very careful that the coil matched properly to the batteries and the rest of the electronics (battery only in a mechanical mod). There is actually a pretty gnarly amount of amperage running through these devices. So, when building our own coils, we had to make sure they were the right resistance, etc. or face explosions.

With the new chipsets, all of these calculations are done internally. Meaning, all we need to do is make sure the coil is in a certain range of resistance and the device will do everything else itself. There are still concerns about say, using titanium coils in a mode made for nickel coils, but the resistance, applied voltage/amperage, etc. are calculated internally. I doubt it'll be long before the metal is also recognized internally (some already do it, with mixed reliability).

I probably left some stuff out, but I think that's a decent basic rundown.

Now, back to the reply (sorry BFFT, felt like the info might be helpful to some)!

I have seen those coils in the TFV4! My only issue is that I try to balance juice consumption with flavor. I'm not really a cloud chaser (at all). Its a really tricky balance.. but even dual coils can chug that ejuice. I'd be curious to see how bad such a setup guzzles. Its taken a lot of effort to figure it out, as it doesn't seem a huge concern to most.

Check this thread out. I'm far too lazy to do much of that, and my back pain doesn't help, but some of that stuff is literally art, IMO. The amount of time and skill involved is no joke.

If you do get involved with it, I'd strongly suggest a coil jig like this one. You can get it elsewhere, but expect to pay $30 or more. It makes things a lot easier than the old standard: the screwdriver or drill bit!

I mainly use an aromamizer rdta v2 myself, but I'm about to order a bunch of clones for fun
Hard to pass up when they cost 5 bucks.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:06 PM

i bought my son the smok tank and filled it up with the triple coil in it. i just left it sitting over night (didn't prime the coil, just loaded juice into the tank with the triple coil it comes loaded with). the next morning, after it wicked had soaked about 2ml of juice.

Im personally more about flavor than clouds.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:28 PM

In a dripper, that might actually be kind of nice to hold an extra 2ml! (PSA: A dripper, or RDA, is generally an atomizer without a tank. So, you have to drip the liquid directly on the coil/wick every 5-10 hits.)

I recently tried a quad coil in my aromamizer.. it did taste pretty good, with large clouds (as expected), but I could literally see the juice level dropping when I was hitting it.
It was also a massive pain to install in the deck.

I just use a basic 7 wrap spaced coil, dual vertical (kanthal right now?) with an inner diameter of 2.5mm. I change it constantly though, which probably goes through more juice than even the hungriest builds lol.

I wish that more would try these better setups and move away from smoking. Its a shame that vaping is being hounded so much, assumedly by lawmakers in big tobaccos pocket.

I really think that people like myself, and the OP, can benefit from it. And with advancements in the market, its becoming even easier and more cost effective than ever to achieve an ultra customized experience.

I think that nearly anyone who smokes for the enjoyment of the experience, rather than just a nic fix, would find vaping more enjoyable and much healthier. What are your thoughts on that? I thought I would have a serious uphill battle quitting smoking, but it was easier than I could have imagined.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:28 PM
They gots meh.. they finally gots meh...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:20 PM

Domo said something to me that I think is 100% true: if people didn't have crappy devices thrown at them as "alternatives to smoking", they'd be more likely to actually quit smoking. So having decent equipment really is important. Equally important is having decent juice. Had I not found, i may not have stuck with it. The local "vape shops" are more akin to front operations. They have terrible selection, terrible service...but finding a reputable nonpremium juice hook up was important.

I started by adding in menthol to give me a throat hit. BUt that only lasted a few weeks, and I found On Cloud Custard. OCC from Vapewild was the first flavor I found that i really enjoyed for more than just "cigarette replacement". I have some 3mg OCC to chain vape with at home. Vapewild also has a fantastic cinnamon toast cereal and donut flavor (straight outta donuts). I also enjoy vaping a flavor they have called "Sweet Complexity", and go through a lot of it. FInding a decent source for qualtiy low price juice really makes the difference.

Someone mentioned Cuttwood earlier....i love their Sugar Drizzle. Its a honey flavored cereal thats not bad. Churrio's is pretty good too. I like the desserts and cereals, really. I have some fruit flavors, but they never make it into my tank.

ETA: one more thing that is really important for new vapers....STEEP YOUR JUICE if you aren't buying premiums. You can look up quick steeping methods, but the best method is proper planning. I keep my top 5 flavors in reserve in my pantry. When I open a new 30ml bottle ill order a replacement so there's always one steeping.
edit on 6/23/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:00 PM
Never had the issue of smoking or addiction like you have.

I think it was smart to ask here on ATS, obviously there are a lot of people rooting for you!

And put one more vote down for vaping. I have some family members have success with them. Also find the reason you want to quit and write it down so you can see if every day!

Good example to kids? Want to exercise and be healthy when older? Be specific, and good luck!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:49 PM

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Domo said something to me that I think is 100% true: if people didn't have crappy devices thrown at them as "alternatives to smoking", they'd be more likely to actually quit smoking. So having decent equipment really is important.

Have you noticed that ALL of the ecig devices made by big tobacco are the same cheap cig-a-likes? I think they could actually expand their market if they put out decent equipment. The conspiracy part of me says its intentional.. People will try it, discard it to go back to smoking, and dismiss vaping entirely. Just like I almost did.

When I bought my first actual setup, it was my "last hoorah" with vaping. I had wasted a good amount of money, which for me in my situation, is a VERY big thing. Im so glad I gave it that final shot. Its all "vaping," but there is absolutely no comparison beyond the word, imo. I don't think it can be overstated that the cheap "gas station devices" are a significantly different experience. I'd even say "vastly, incomprehensibly inferior" but it is subjective.

GREAT call on the steeping reminder. Some juices are totally fine freshly mixed, but in my experience, they all get better with age. Ive had some that I really didnt like at all, but after a couple weeks, they turned absolutely delicious. Another good tip is to get plain, unflavored VG or PG (depending on personal preference). Then order all juices with "flavor shots" and dilute them down. It can stretch things out and make it a bit more economical. This is especially true with the premium juices. Some prices are just absurd though.

I haven't tried vapewild, ill have to check them out! If I'm honest, I literally have only been buying from Verde Valley Vapes for a while now.

I'm not at all opposed to trying a new vendor, but the prices from VVV are almost DIY level, if you take time into account. Their quality is as good or better than any premium I have tried, but obviously its highly subjective. Their 10 pack sampler of 15ml is $33, and comes with a free 100ml (!!) of your choice. Every $25 spent, iirc, gets you a free 100ml of your choice. So, spend $75, get 300ml free. Here is a quick and easy link to their sample packs page. They say the 15ml is random, but you can choose all of the flavors if you want (dunno why it states otherwise, I think their site could use some work). Its easy to get down to $10 per 100ml.. incredible price for even the cheapest of vendors!

My tastes are right alongside yours, with bakery probably being my favorite. I love a good strawberries and cream though.

I think another tip for new vapers is to go into it with an open mind. I expected that I would prefer tobacco flavors, and had no interest in bakery. The reality ended up much differently. Its very difficult to determine what we will end up liking, so its good to try the different categories even if we think we wont like it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:58 PM

vapewild is similar in set up and whatnot. and their freebie juices are usually in your nic level.

i buy 60ml bottles for $12.

they have a presteeped strawberries and cream called 'S+C2", but you can get it unsteeped for a little cheaper. its a decent version of the flavor. ill mix it half and half with cottontail cream from Lost Art.

im going to check out verde valley. I love me some free juice.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:16 PM
Hang in there, I am a week into the carrot chew method (which is hillarious since I have no teeth).

Symptoms so far,

Smells are stronger. God forbid I smell a person smoking in the next car over at a traffic light it makes me want on so so so bad...

Anger oh lord I never realized I had it so bad. Appently I was smoking to calm my happy but down. Wife is a freaking goddess for having to put up with me.

Washing everything, Freebreezing everything, Shaving Beard (2 years growth dang it)

on the up side oh my god the food tastes so much better. and hot sauce I can taste the garlic and tommatos and cliantro in my wifes home made sauce....

I know it is hell quitting but keep it up you got someone going though it close to the same time as you. If you feel like your slipping hit me up for encouragement.

Mind I am down to 2 carrots a day now, one when I get home from work and one when I about to go to bed.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 12:43 AM
I too should quit I've been smoking for about 45 yrs,it's getting to be annoying,hate smelling like smoke,so I too should try,good luck to you,as I should quit procrastinating

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:08 AM
There's a book I've put off reading...the Alan Carr's "Easyway" book. Celebs have used it. I think Ashton Kutcher actually. I read the one he has about stopping alcohol, and it was pretty effective.

To quit something, you have to want to.

Right now? I only "kinda" want to stop smoking -- and that's not quite good enough

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:19 AM
I have quit for years, started up again, quit again, many times. I quit again 9 months ago.
Seems I start up again about when I forget how truly horrible it was to quit. I tell myself, "I'll just smoke for a while, then quit again- I've done it before, no big deal."

Then I have to go through the terrible agony of quitting again and swear I'll never do this again.

I think we all do it for different reasons, and it is important to recognize what those are. Because you'll be forced to deal with those issues some other way if you want to be successful.

The first time I quit, I realized I was doing it to get away from people. I was still learning french, and social situations gave me a headache after about 30 minutes of trying to understand everyone and formulate my own speaking. There just came a moment I needed to pull out of the exchanges and going outside to smoke, or even wrapping myself in a thick smoke blankie helped me "breathe" for a minute.
I had to plan other ways of escape when I needed it.

The last time I quit I had to face that I was doing it because I was very unhappy with my job. I was working in an environment a lot of nasty people and cut throat competition, which I had no idea how to deal with. I am a honest, sensitive and open person, groups like that just eat me alive!
I wasn't able to quit smoking until I got out of there.

But in all cases, rest assured, the anger is part of the addiction! Once you wean yourself off the nicotine, you will be calmer. Many times I'd try to quit only to have my husband get fed up one day, go buy a pack and throw it at me from a safe distance.

I always have to make other changes too... like not drinking coffee for a while, drink tea. Break up habits that will remind you of smoking. Stay away from alcohol! Even now, I am pretty much safe, but I know if I ever got drunk, I would be capable of bumming a cig off someone (and lots of people smoke around me, I'm in France!)

So for many weeks, I would not even have one drink. Now, I will have one or two, but that's it. Frankly, I don't want more- alcohol is not as fun without a cigarette!

Exercise is always extremely important for my success! I think I have an addictive sort of personality, and I quickly get addicted to exercise too. I start off forcing myself a bit, but start to crave it daily rather quickly. Running, weight lifting, yoga... It really helps keep the mental state balanced, helps fight off those grouchies. If you work up a sweat each day, I think it helps clear the toxins from the body quicker too.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:34 AM

originally posted by: Serdgiam

I think that nearly anyone who smokes for the enjoyment of the experience, rather than just a nic fix, would find vaping more enjoyable and much healthier. What are your thoughts on that? I thought I would have a serious uphill battle quitting smoking, but it was easier than I could have imagined.

I tried it, didn't work for me.
I had many people in my entourage that tried it and some after a year or more of trying to cut down progressively the nicotine level, ended up going back to cigs when they got down to very low levels.
The others are still vaping (with nicotine) with no intention of stopping.

The better the equipment, the less willing they were to consider stopping.

So from what I have seen so far, it is not a good tool for stopping smoking. You are the first person I have met who had success (if I understood correctly and you are not using nicotine?)

In this country, though lots of people considered it a device to help stop smoking at first, that attitude is gone. It is just another way of smoking.

I think it is somewhat misleading, causing some people to actually consider themselves as having quit , when they haven't.
edit on 24-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 02:53 AM
I would also recommend vaping. I found some companies that offer "organic", which is a bit of a misnomer, but they use high quality ingredients, and nothing artificial. Also, you can choose your nicotine level. Start high, and as you go slowly decrease it. You will never know the difference. When you get down to 3% you are basically done if you want. Then can move to 0% nicotine and you aren't addicted to a drug anymore. Good luck. (Its cheaper and healthier than smoking and you won't stink)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>