It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to Quit Smoking Is Not Going Well At All

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The only time I ever quit was when I was jogging everyday. Actually, I was doing heavy construction during the day while going to night electronics school every night. But when I'd come home from work I'd either jog, or go to the gym. Then go to class. Then come home and jog again.

The jogging helped the most. I'd was extra hardcore of a machine at work during this 6-8 week period.

But then I started getting shin splints (ARGHHH) and couldnt jog 'anymore', and fell back into it. Out of the city pavement, out here in the wild I might be able to jog now without splints, but havent tried it yet. Its so hot and I work so hard out here anyways I get enough exercize, while smoking actually helps my work.
edit on 23-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

my only thing i'd add to this: if you've never vaped before, and don't have electrical engineering experience, don't start with an RBA. i wouldn't even start with subohm.

You can find some nice, inexpensive devices that suit the bill. the eGo One (or the mini) is under $40, and has options for both 1.0 and 0.5 ohm coils. joyetech has a few inexpensive devices, actually, that might make a new vaper happy.

But to get an RBA as a new vaper might result in the person not staying interested in vaping, or blowing their face off.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

Buddy, I'm smoke free for 7 years now, I feel your pain. I used Preserve mint and tea tree oil toothpicks as an oral fix and switched to American Spirits to get the additives out. I slowly weaned down to 5 a day and chewed the picks other times, over 3 months I reduced to 3 a day, got good and drunk one night to the point that smoking the next day felt nauseating to consider and that was that, the picks replaced what had become 3.

I wish you the best,vit can be quite the challenge

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
may step down to quitting vaping, too. We'll see.

Be ready. It's harder than quitting cigs. I am one year vape-free and I still get powerful cravings.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

my only thing i'd add to this: if you've never vaped before, and don't have electrical engineering experience, don't start with an RBA. i wouldn't even start with subohm.

You can find some nice, inexpensive devices that suit the bill. the eGo One (or the mini) is under $40, and has options for both 1.0 and 0.5 ohm coils. joyetech has a few inexpensive devices, actually, that might make a new vaper happy.

But to get an RBA as a new vaper might result in the person not staying interested in vaping, or blowing their face off.

Well, I never vaped before so all this info is valuable. I'll take the time to look them up and see what i can use.
Thank you

edit on 23-6-2016 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
From my own personal experience, you feel angry etc because you don't actually want to stop. You enjoy smoking you're like me a rare breed that actually like it! You're head isn't in the right place and it sounds like you are trying to stop for your partner rather than yourself. You may keep saying you want to quit but until your head tells you "right enough is enough" and you can be really really firm with yourself...you won't quit. Its all about habits. I rewarded myself with a cigarette...like after doing a long housework stint...sit down have a cuppa and a ciggie, or if I'd done something pretty good..reward with a ciggie. Pretty stupid really. I've smoked 40yrs and was only when I started re-decorating and was cleaning everything that I realised what I was doing then when my daughter told me the house stunk when she came back from University. That night something kicked in with me, I got my vape 4 months ago and can't believe how things have changed. I never knew peas had an actual taste!

Don't beat yourself up, wait until the time is right for you not anyone else

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

like i said, if you are interested in vaping, you can PM me and im happy to help.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

You are kind of right, I don't really really want to quit but I have problems breathing lately and climbing up to my third floor flat, not to mention other physical challenges. So for my health's sake I decided to quit.
And I do reward myself with cigarettes too, damn it

So it seems that vaping might be the answer after all.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I cold turkeyed it. My buddy at work also cold turkeyed it as well and he had been smoking for 35 years+. I had more symptoms when I cold turkey smoking something else that I had a doctors paperwork for. Nightmares, insomnia, serious weightloss, boredom. Its all up to you. How much does it mean to you to quit?. With nicotine, I was sick of the way my breath and clothing stank, even the next day. You can do this. It may be easiest to progressivly cut back, rather then cold turkey it, but you have to use some major will power. Tap into it Bro!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I would actually disagree because of the new box mods on the market. I would certainly have agreed a year or two ago, but the new chips pretty much automatically adjust for everything.

Just slap in the coil, and you're good to go
All you have to make sure is the mod can handle ~0.1-3.0 ohms, which 99% of modern box mods do. FWIW, I haven't even measured any of my coils for weeks and weeks. Though, I do check what my device reads once installed.

The market has changed pretty drastically in the past year.

That said, you are spot on when it comes to mechanical mods and cheap or old mods! I should have been clearer, given the danger that's involved. But, most modern mods that give a resistance on the display should work in this way.
edit on 23-6-2016 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I used Preserve mint and tea tree oil toothpicks as an oral fix and switched to American Spirits to get the additives out.

Yeah! I had a coworker do it with patches and cinnamon toothpicks, and maintained it with nibbling the shells off sunflower seeds all the time.

Then he became one of those ultimate tobacco nazi's and was a total drag after that.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
With nicotine, I was sick of the way my breath and clothing stank, even the next day.

The smell seems to mostly come from the additives.

About 5 years ago I switched to the additive-free 'roll your own' injector tubes machines etc. I had a former-smoker friend come stay for a month from out of state, I could smoke right in the room in front of him and it didnt seem to bother him. He said they didnt stink like the MFG product.
edit on 23-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You have a lot of great advice here and I don't have a lot to add but personal experience, you though like me seem to honestly enjoy smoking and for us it can be torture to quit so hopefully I can help a bit.

The first 48 hours are always the worst, just remember it only gets easier and better after that.

Nicotine - Get a replacement if possible, a vape might work but patches will or normal e-cigs, e-cigs are good even if not loaded because you can puff on it to take your mind of things but in the first 3 days you should try to get a nicotine hit that isn't smoking.

Exercise - Again the first 24-48 hours are the worst and your body will just be starting to clear your airways and you generally feel like dying but muddle through, any exercise will do. I think the main key is to wear yourself out a little, it will help you sleep and after the first 48 hours you will literally feel like you have a new set of lungs and had a blood transfusion. As another poster mentioned the cravings can be really strong after exercise so plan for that with a fake nicotine hit or a nice cup of tea and a few tasty biscuits... You'll taste the biscuits for the first time in a long time

Hobbies - It really helps to have something to keep you busy, even if your plan is to cut down keeping busy on a hobby will add a few hours between cigs. A "portable" hobby helps tremendously, I kept a few small books for when I was travelling to read instead of smoke, I always get smoke in my eyes reading and smoking and never enjoy the experience. A friend of mine quit playing Angry Birds whenever he had a break, replacing his "award" system.

I feel for you, it's a terrible habit which I still very much enjoy. I've cut down a heck of a lot because I felt like I was going anaemic but I'm not willing nor ready to quit myself yet
Ultimately you have to want to quit otherwise you most certainly will smoke again. Just think about the money you will save or the health you'll gain. I've quit a few times and I do enjoy the benefits.

But gosh darn it I love a good smoke

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteHat
I'm not sure we have something like that in my country.
Maybe I can buy it online, so if you have a link I'll be glad to look it up.

www.totallywicked-eliquid.com...

They have a UK site as well. Coils are a lot cheaper online. It is the battery, the tank, coils that you replace every 3-7 days, and the liquid. I recommend you start with 2 good batteries that can be used while charging, they are called 'pass throughs'.

hebestars.com is where I found 10 coils for my nautilus aspire tank for 9.99 us (local shops were charging 3.99 each).

I have a few different tanks, but mainly use the nautilus aspire. I have a 50 watt i stick battery and a 30 watt i stick battery and a smaller 20 maah penlike battery.

My favorite flavor is steam junk kickin cola, I am down to 12 mg nicotine, started at 32. Various places sell that brand and flavor, just google if interested. Some people on here suggested cutwood brand juice, I got some it was ok.

I am thinking Serdgiam is a little more advanced than I am (probably can change the battery inside the housing, that is called a MOD and makes his own coils).

I have not had a real cigarette since oct 2012.

The initial investment in vaping, I would set aside more like $90-$110. That will include a couple batteries, a tank, a couple chargers, juice, some coils. After that, you spend about 1/10th of what you do on real cigarettes.

I recommend looking for e liquid with a higher percent of VG vs. PG. Usually it is just a drop down box you can pick from. Otherwise it is a 50/50 mix. Some sites let you add a bit more 'flavor essence' in the liquid.

DO NOT start with a drugstore or convenience store brand like Blu. You can own some disposeables for an emergency, but they are not to be used for quitting regular 'analog' cigarettes and the cost is high for those.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: visitedbythem
With nicotine, I was sick of the way my breath and clothing stank, even the next day.

The smell seems to mostly come from the additives.

About 5 years ago I switched to the additive-free 'roll your own' injector tubes machines etc. I had a former-smoker friend come stay for a month from out of state, I could smoke right in the room in front of him and it didnt seem to bother him. He said they didnt stink like the MFG product.

Those still have 'combustion'. That is the part that puts tar into your lungs. The chemicals in manufactured cigarettes are very bad, but combustion is worse.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

oh, yeah....if you aren't rebuilding coils its just about down to plug and play from what I can tell.

I don't do rebuilds, and don't do modding.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

That was the same for me. I really just enjoyed it. Though, I'm also partially convinced that its not just the nicotine that results in addiction. I suspect some part of the chemical cocktail in a cigarette has as much effect, if not more.

But, I really just did enjoy the experience. The draw, the throat hit, breathing in and then exhaling..

I think that for those like us, vaping provides an even better experience in this regard. It also provides the opportunity to immediately remove all those chemicals, and then eventually, the nicotine. All while allowing us to partake in an experience that we find enjoyable.

I truly do enjoy vaping more than I ever enjoyed smoking, and that's really saying something. I just wish I didn't waste so much time and money on the cheap-o setups. They may work for some, but they never gave me as enjoyable of an experience as smoking. Not even close. For sheer nicotine delivery though, they might be fine. But, I wasn't really smoking for the nicotine.

I only recently started talking about it on ATS, but I really think its something that can help others like it helped me. Its also made me realize that there are many different types of smokers and many diffetent motivations, which is kind of interesting.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

A family member of mine knows someone that was spiked with the artificial stuff found on sugar paper, something happened to him because he used to be a sessioner and basically quit everything when he came back to Earth. Definitely something to it. Not to mention the natural stuff the human body seems to have perfect resilience to it, very difficult to get addicted too since a 2nd dose needs 2x as much as the first for the same effect.

They grow wild really well in the countryside where I live, though I don't think it's time to quit smoking yet

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Now you talk like you know me lol especially the last line of your post

Thank you for the great advice. I should make a habit of coming back and reading this thread every morning, is helping a lot.
Thank you guys/gals for the support

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Sounds like you should be selling them!

A weird thing I came to hear about about 2 years ago is how apparently 'normal' non-smokers (young folks I guess) started using the gadgets just for the flavors (not with nicotine in them). Apparently it was the new big thing the way I had it explained to me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join