It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 8

page: 141
<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1

Thank you, Krypto. Not even sure if I ever heard that song before. Clearly 60s, when I was still just a kid. Might have been on the radio but my parents normally had it tunes to 5CL, a very conservative state-run station way back then. But a cool song. (ETA: in Sth Australia, where I grew up.) So, I appreciate it.

edit on 9/7/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Hahahah!! It's all good ...I still miss my wife who died of cancer ...I can't seem to find another ...so I just tale it one day at a time.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

How can a guy with so little faith hope for miracles? Do you understand me?

JustThat

Fishy

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci
I'm glad that we can express our feelings here without being labelled -- what's the "in" term right now? -- Snowflakes?

As if people are not supposed to have feelings. As if everyone is supposed to just suck it up all the time and be "strong" or something. What utter bollocks! We ain't robots. Sometimes strength is shown by knowing when a burden needs to be shared, so it doesn't destroy us.

True?

And I understand your reluctance to acknowledge compliments. I get it! Again, we've been socialized that way. I have felt the same about some I've received for my own efforts at writing, but if we have a gift (great or small) and it can help to uplift others, then that's a blessing. You truly have that gift. I am not a great writer and would never claim to be be, but I can see good writing when it's put in front of me. I wouldn't say this to just anyone. I can see talent, like a coach for athletes can see people with far more potential than he or she possesses. It brings us joy just to see it manifested!

You have a talent with words, Kaelci. You really do! What you write can move people emotionally, and that is a gift. Mine is lesser to yours. I am telling you this point blank. You are way better than I'll ever be. So be glad and use what you have been blessed with -- and write.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1
Oh, man... I didn't know that. I'm sorry. I get what you're saying but don't truly comprehend it.

I might be a dork but I actually liked that song! You travel enough, and that's now how it is!

edit on 9/7/16 by JustMike because: shtoopid typo

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish
Yes.

(You understand.)

And for anyone who wonders if BTS Chat threads matter, here's an example.

ATS is a community. We are posting here from all over this crazy planet, but we care about each other!

Right now, we have members here posting from the USA, Australia and Europe. That is so chill. Because we know we're in different parts of the world, we know we may never meet IRL, but we know we are people like you. And that's a good thing, to remember that at the end of the day, we're all people.

ETA: and can another person post something so it doesn't look like I'm hogging the thread????

edit on 9/7/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike I like them too. How about this one by Paul Simon

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

In this thread there are no "snowflakes" and certainly no "first world problems" - both terms I can't stand.

I agree entirely... burdens are best to be shared... I have been through a fair amount in my time, and most of that I kept to myself, hidden within, keeping things to myself and not sharing... repression is not a good thing. Best let things out and find solace with other like-minded people rather than hide it inside until you explode.

And it may be hard to share, but one is definitely stronger having done so. Keeping it inside is not strength, just further burdening oneself.

I truly thank you for your words
I put aside a bit of time each day to at least write 500-1000 words, it may be part of my project or just something random, but, I need to keep writing. I doubt myself too often, my weakness is dialogue and I know that, and I do criticise myself too harshly... But I don't believe myself to be greater than you - you have succeeded! You have published your work! I happily consider you as a mentor.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem
Just about anything by Paul Simon is brilliant. That guy is a National Treasure.

He could make a song out of anything. Awesomely gifted.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Sorry I wasn't here for you earlier. I do understand, oh how well I understand dear Mike. I have seen and experienced much pain in my life and held on desperately to hope and for miracles. I take one day at a time because I never know what the next one will bring. We are all here for you every day. When you aren't on, we still think of you. I pray for Dada, for her to be as well as she can be, to have good days. I know she has you and you are an amazingly loving and attentive husband. She couldn't ask for any better.

I am forever telling people that it's ok to share the bad things, the hard things in life they are dealing with because real friends care. Here in the shed we care, and we are always here, every step of the way. Big Hug!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Holding things in almost killed me. Stress is massively dangerous if it goes on too long in large amounts.

About my work: I'm only published because I got it that far. That might sound obvious, but I had to tell myself often that, "This book will not write itself! I have to do it!"

And you can do it and will do it! Just don't take so many years over it as I did.

Dialogue: I almost never have a problem with this. Here's what I do:

Watch your characters. Picture them in the scene. See and then listen to them, and write down what they say. You are not writing, you're taking dictation. Your characters create the dialogue, not you.

This is why Robert Frost said:
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader."

I can tell you from personal experience that he was right. I've had scenes both in short stories and novel writing where I've cried buckets, or (as I mentioned to a friend not long ago) couldn't type because I was laughing so much!
That's what writing should do!

Your characters have to surprise you! Mine sure did at times. I'd be writing dialogue and then mutter, "What on earth is she talking about? What has that got to do with anything?" I didn't even know, and often it was days before I'd find out.

Kaelci, you already have the entire story within you. It's just waiting for you to write it down. Don't worry about how it comes out and don't even be too self-critical. Fix the technical stuff? Sure. But let it have its own being. Let it surprise you.

Okay?

edit on 9/7/16 by JustMike because: just typo thingies

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Love this one ..and this dude can sing ...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
You get it. I think everyone here gets it. We're a mixed bunch but we have experiences and they're worth sharing.

I'm so glad for that.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
a reply to: Night Star
Hi Night,

can't sleep. 1 am here. Just a bit too wired right now. Need to let my mind process a lot of stuff.

Hoping, hoping, hoping. Just hoping so much. You understand more than many would. You've been in that dark place and had to hope and pray.

Trying to put my desperate hopes aside a little and just let my mind drift and not worry all the time, you know. But it's so hard. She's my world. I've built my own future around her.

Oh, Lord... Let her be well again!

How can a guy with so little faith hope for miracles? Do you understand me?

Mike, all your kindness pays off. Your true love knows in her mind who is number one in her life. You two are soul mates for all time.

Being in love also is being in pain. Your heart is like no other to her. I know all your hope and praying is sending a positive message out to the universe and you will be heard.

I feel your pain too. Hugs and love!
edit on 7 9 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well said Mike !

I said the same thing in Nights thread celebrating my anniversary albeit less eloquently . 😆

* Says G'day to all the shedafarians ... 😎

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

"Okay."

I've mentioned to a couple of people that I'm writing two stories at once, there's the one that's been in my mind for twenty years now, and one that's based in the past of that particular story.... The main one is where I struggle, and I think it's because I love it too much. The newer one that was formed from the older one, I feel less for, and it flows easier. Dialogue and all, I've cried and laughed with them.

But it's a conundrum for me, because it's the other one I want out of my system and into the world, but perhaps I should listen to the newer one.

I'm sorry.

Now I feel the selfish one. But I guess talking of other things takes your mind away from what brought you here in the first place.
I can't help but feel that, "Oh gosh! It must be 3am where Mike is, he needs to sleep!"

I need to go, family business awaits. But I see that Q and Night Star have arrived, so I feel less guilty departing!

Great big HUGS to you!!!!! And I hope that this chat with the people of the Shed has helped you in these wee hours of your morning.

I think this picture has the ability to tell a million words.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

No no, your so smart I think you have 20 stories or more in your coconut.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I love that pic Kaelci !!!

I have always loved the sight of dark storm clouds brewing across a rural Aussie landscape.

Maybe it's because of my having spent much time in the country on my Dads stud farm,
enduring debillatating drought for way too long ...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
As Kaelci said, it's 3 am here. Well, it was 12 minutes ago.

So I'll be brief.

@Quantum: thank you, my friend. You have a way of stating wisdom in a simple but clear form. I appreciate it.

@Timely: I fear being eloquent. Most folks these days don't even known what it means.
But it's true: we are a community.

@Kaelci: my advice, for what it's worth, is to get one story done. It doesn't matter which one. The other will still follow from it, whether before or after. Perhaps do the one you love most as your first, finished project. You love it for a reason. Let others see that love.

And I need to sleep... Goodnight, all. Finally!

edit on 9/7/16 by JustMike because: type o. I left one out.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Good Night Mike!

I just walked out back, and my little Humming bird friend came down to see me. I was talking to him with little whistles and noises like I do. Its the same noises I do for the Doves. All of a sudden my Dove friend comes down right next to me for a visit. This ones name is Lonesome

edit on 9-7-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join