It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Led Zep Not Guilty.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat
Awesome; my sister played the Cello, all I could think as a kid was 'Please don't let it procreate'.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

The court decided otherwise.

And so, speaking as a musician, did I. Long ago.

Led Zeppelin, particularly Jimmy Page, were inveterate plagiarists. They’ve made numerous out-of-court settlements over the years, and there are some songs, like ‘Dazed & Confused’ which are nearly wholesale lifts from other people’s records but which they have never, for one reason or other, been (IIRC) sued for.

But not ‘Stairway to Heaven’. That one’s unique.

By the way, it doesn’t bother me at all that Zeppelin stole stuff. So did every other musical genius I can think of. That’s how music works. To push those mental and emotional buttons, it needs to be partly familiar, partly fresh. This isn’t my pet theory, by the way: it’s science. Read the linked article; it’s very eye-opening. Or do I mean ear-opening?

Why Does Music Feel So Good?

So why is it that one person might spend $2 on a song while another pans it? Salimpoor says it all depends on past musical experiences. “Depending on what styles youre used to — Eastern, Western, jazz, heavy metal, pop — all of these have very different rules they follow, and they’re all implicitly recorded in your brain,” she says. “Whether you realize it or not, every time you’re listening to music, you’re constantly activating these templates that you have.”

Using those musical memory templates, the nucleus accumbens then acts as a prediction machine, she says. It predicts the reward that you’ll feel from a given piece of music based on similar types of music you’ve heard before. If you like it better than predicted, it registers as intense pleasure. If you feel worse than predicted, you feel bored or disappointed.

“New music is presumably rewarding not only because it fits implicitly learned patterns but because it deviates from those patterns, however slightly,” Wheatley says. But this finding leads to new questions. “It just made me wonder whether people have different preferences or tolerances for how much a new song deviates from the well-worn path of previously heard music structures.”

Plagiarism is kind of built into composition. Mere listeners sometimes don’t understand this, but anyone who actually plays music does, or ought to.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I wasnt upset, I was agreeing with you. Face plant for Spirit the band

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Oh, cool, luv your avatar, btw.

article

The opening riff of stairway to heaven is what they claim Page pilfered when they toured together. They song was titled Taurus.

Their song didn't do diddly, the ones trying to pilfer is Spirit. They should bow and worship, instead. But really, the money isn't the main issue, I'm sure (rolls eyes). Its artistic thievery , which all musicians exchange when they work together.

If they had stole spirits song and title and copyright, that would be different. An opening riff doesn't cut it, as we see.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Is Dread Zeppelin guilty of anything?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join