It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who used the pencil at the polling station?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i did.

Was only when I got home I thought about it. That pencil cross could easily be rubbed out and then a cross added to the other box.

From now on I'll be taking a pen with me when voting. I know pencils have always been used at the polling station but these referendums and Party votes are becoming increasingly important.
edit on CDTThu, 23 Jun 2016 14:31:11 -05000000003002x111x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I hope your vote is not de voted cos you would use a pen. That is strange. I'm trying to remember last time I voted I think we use pens in my country.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Even if you used a pen, if 'they' wanted to 'they' could just add another 'X' in the other box. Invalidating your vote anyway.....

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Who's going to change your vote ?
At 10 pm the boxes are sealed and taken to the the place where the votes are to be counted , the boxes are opened and counted by volunteers , no time to rub out all those X's.

If they want to steal your vote it won't matter if you use pen or pencil.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
On super Tuesday in Mar they handed out sharpie type felt tip markers.
I cant remember what it was in 2012.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Its one of those things that everyones getting their tin foil hats on for.

The reason they use pencils normally is that if the pens leak, go wrong you can be stuck in the middle of some village with no access to replacements, also be aware that ink needs to dry completely before folding it or you could put an X on both boxes and if theres bad weather there may be leakage due to water and it may cause the ink to go over several papers causing them to be possibly removed along with your vote.

Memories from doing the local councils intro to how the process works (was a couple of hours from my usual job) even though i've never done any elections.

You can use pens or pretty much anything to mark your vote just make sure it doesn't cause confusion or invalidate others papers.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Our "boxes" are actually scanners that count your vote when you push the ballot through. I don't think they have people counting votes anymore here in Virginia. Many are electronic. Touch screen type votes that get tallied immediately.
edit on 6232016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Easier to steal your votes then , if there's a query blame a software glitch.
That's what they did wen it was discovered that polling cards had been sent to Europeans living and working over here.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
i did.

Was only when I got home I though about it. tha pencil cross could easily be rubbed out and then a cross added to the other box.

Actually the reason they use a pencil is to that if they used a pen, someone might switch it with a one of the disappearing ink-kind.

It takes way more effort to erase pencil marks - plus you would have to gain access to the ballots too.

You would not need to add a cross in the other box to fix the result, so with disappearing ink you would not need to get your hand on the ballots. That makes it that more easy - you just switch the regular pen with a disappearing-ink one only in the constituencies that you know will vote mostly "yes" or "no" (depending on the result you want).

All the ballots with disappearing ink will be deemed invalid, but most of them will be the of the kind that you wanted it to be.
edit on 23-6-2016 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Are we so advanced here on the east coast? We don't fold ballots for someone to open and count and the ink doesn't require drying times. We mark an oval next to a name and feed it face down into the scanner. It sucks the ballot into the box tallies your vote and neatly stacks the ballots inside. Voila' done.
I'm just surprised that there are places counting ballots by hand that's all. It seems we get results much faster than in the old days when you may not know who won for a day or more.
Hand counting is slow. I don't see how we can get results that fast with people counting votes.
Anyway I guess some counties still do.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

It scans a dot. I dont think there's much computer software involved. Anyway that's how it's done here.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

If it scans a dot then it needs to process and store the information , it needs software to do that.
Our old analogue way is far more transparent.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Disappearing ink? Ok I know there is such a thing but that still sounds so far fetched. Sorry.
The volunteers gave us the pen we didn't get a choice to use our own.
I'm just not seeing the disappearing ink thing as feasible. The votes are counted as soon as you pass the ballot through. If it's gone later it was still counted. But really.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Obviously by the speed with which we get results that is not the common practice anymore.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If you see where some of our ballot boxes are located, theres no way they can have the tech to make it work when its in someones garage for example (yep someones garage and our one was the local athletics club) as it doesn't matter where it is so long as its properly supervised.

The principle is that by keeping it simple theres less errors and we had floods in some areas so probably anything requiring power would be knocked out.

The counting is carried out in a local hall etc open to anyone to come in and watch the process and it continues until everyones happy which can and has meant 12 hour counts before when its very close as neither side will accept the result.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

It has minimal software is what I said.
Anyway I don't think vote changing is a common practice. Too many people with mouths involved and all.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Don't #usepens.
Attention Twitter

I am sorry but ATS is damaged that much, nothing works as it should anymore, so i can´t put in the pic from my library here...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You can use what you like on the ballot paper.

They provide a pencil because it's reliable and easy to use. People who think that there could be lines of people rubbing things out (a) don't understand the safeguards and (b) worry too much.

6.16 However, the legislation states that unless the way the ballot paper is marked identifies the voter, a ballot paper on which the vote is marked in the following ways must not be rejected if the voter’s intention is clear:

 elsewhere than in the proper place
 otherwise than by means of a cross, or
 by more than one mark

Source Electoral Commission PDF

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

Even if you used a pen, if 'they' wanted to 'they' could just add another 'X' in the other box. Invalidating your vote anyway.....

I guess that's true.

I read that all ballet boxes are collected at end of days voting with one person watching the box whilst another locks it up.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Our "boxes" are actually scanners that count your vote when you push the ballot through. I don't think they have people counting votes anymore here in Virginia. Many are electronic. Touch screen type votes that get tallied immediately.

Yep. That should be the way... especially today with all this Tech. Should be a website online to go to. Simples.... or is it? An online vote could be amended too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join