It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOME American Indian views on Homosexuality

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Talorc
Now, I'm being humorous here so nobody get their panties in a knot.... but do these guys look like a bunch of fairies and "two-spirits"? Do they look like they love homos and sing kumbaya?

feedyweedy.com...

No, they look like hardened warriors who don't give a f*ck about your 21st century delusions.

Unfortunately, Christianity has been destroying much of the Native American beliefs and culture.

From reading, there is organized efforts to revive the older beliefs, and blend the 2 together.

And NO, that is not Christian bashing, its just a fact.

This is just one article.

For America's indigenous people, late 19th century Christianity meant forced assimilation and cultural domination. Through government-sponsored boarding schools, Christian missionaries worked to convert native children, who were often referred to as "savages." Generations later, Native Americans who chose Christianity were said to have "sold out" to white people. In some circles, they're still considered traitors. "Why embrace Christianity?" is a question congregant Melody Spears hears often. "Some of my relatives are anti-church," she said. "There's just bitterness, I guess. I think it's their way of coping with what has happened in the past in our history with the church. www.mprnews.org...

Yes, absolutely. A lot of native children were forced to attend schools where they were basically brainwashed and taught how to be "proper Americans."

Still though, I agree with everyone who's said that it's impossible to make sweeping generalizations about two whole continents worth of disparate groups and tribes.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Check your inbox

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

No, I'm also part "white" whatever that means.

Its funny how everyone agrees that Native cultures were basically wiped out effectively, but as soon as they find their own ground based on a consensus of tribal elders(not christian missionaries) and reestablish their culture and languages in a modern political theater, its not authentic enough for the progressives that assume the Red Elves should basically be free love hippies.

I dont hate anyone, I hate peoples pushing natives back down because they dont fit the Leftist narratives

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I personally have even considered that I don't like the term "Native American". I prefer, "The inhabitants of the western continents prior to the European Colonization".

Frankly, there is no definitive proof that there weren't another kind of people here before that time. For example, who were the first people in France? They weren't who we call the French today, and not even close. And before Those was another people.

I'm 1/8 Creek, but I don't know very much. What I do know is that the idea that all the Pre-colonials were flagrant hippies is preposterous at best.

I am willing to bet that the former cultures would be appaled by the direction of our society. They weren't interested in unwise cowards and whiners. At least, the Creek and Cherokee weren't to my knowledge.

Using Pre-colonial ideas recontrived seems like a regressive attempt to push a supposedly progressive agenda. Irony much?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Interesting, you seem to think the way I do.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
There were many different Peoples across the North American continent, with different cultures, standards, etc.

Many were understanding toward same-sex love and affection and differing gender identities, some were not.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Agreed.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
There were many different Peoples across the North American continent, with different cultures, standards, etc.

Many were understanding toward same-sex love and affection and differing gender identities, some were not.

Yes, I'm not Native America - - families been here since the 1700s - - but still not Native.

Even so, it does bother me when they get all lumped together.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Very interesting post thank you 👍

I don't have a lot to add other than 'haters gonna hate/homophobe's gonna homophobe'

In my personal opinion, I put homophobes in the same category as racists. But that don't mean 5hit, as we all know.

Thanks for the good thread 👍

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

I think it's more an explanation that the conservative agenda of saying marriage is only between a man and woman stems from abrahamic faith and isn't a universal truth.

I am no leftist. But I did take a few actual anthro classes and was left about 50 books on the subject by my aunt.
I am also not a theist so it pisses me off that the conservative agenda adopted the religious rights ideology after JFK .

Because I am all for the constitution and for limited government. Not for creating moral religious law and forcing religious ideas.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Problem being that it doesn't stem from the Abrahamic faith.

It stems from nature.

Babies are made when a...

Well, I'm sure you've heard of the birds and the bees.

Don't need an authority figure to point out the obvious.

Marriage is not only about having children, but that's a huge part of it, and the result of it.

There is nothing that represents the love of two people than to have a creature made from each combined to raise, love, and to stare in mock horror as the new one does when they act like both of you.

Nature was here long before Abraham. Or else he would never have been born.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Hmmm. Well considering this stuff goes on in the wild I would say your totally wrong.

Have you studied physical anthro?

Are you aware of animal homosexuality?

In fact its been replicated in labs expirementing with population sizes in animal cages. Homosexuality pops up with overpopulation on top of other reasons.

Have any other examples.

Because in domestic scale culture its extremely common. I would say that's much more "natural" than the intellectual creation of civilization.

Have you read any ontological examples of the social contract?
edit on 23-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

I dont hate anyone, I hate peoples pushing natives back down because they dont fit the Leftist narratives

I fail to see how this is "pushing natives back down".

Kind of sounds like a "not all" argument that a "leftist" would use.

Does your tribe need a safe space?

Honestly, during colonization homosexuality was a criminal offense among settlers.

Was your tribe doing that?

The topic isn't just about marriage.
edit on 23-6-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Red elves, now that is hilarious and true. These mythical hippies who loved nature, had pow wows, and smoked peyote. If only we could go back to that time, not.

native americans got a few things right but overall were thousands of years behind. excepting the mayans they had no written language.
Do you love planned marriages? multiple women in a marriage?
Did your sister die and was married? congrats you have to marry her husband now.

I thank native americans everyday for corn and potatoes. That is their main contribution to modern society

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

The mayans were not the only tribe with a written language.

What makes them 1000's of years behind philosophically?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Hmmm. Well considering this stuff goes on in the wild I would say your totally wrong.

Have you studied physical anthro?

Are you aware of animal homosexuality?

In fact its been replicated in labs expirementing with population sizes in animal cages. Homosexuality pops up with overpopulation on top of other reasons.

Have any other examples.

Because in domestic scale culture its extremely common. I would say that's much more "natural" than the intellectual creation of civilization.

Have you read any ontological examples of the social contract?

I didn't realize animals were our masters? I thought it was the other way around.

When a dog gets on the Internet and educates me, I'll entertain that logic with less cynicism.

The study of animal behavior is not the study of human behavior. Parallels are drawn where people have foregone their privilege of consideration.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

So I am confused are you argueing about what's natural or the intellection reason based unique quality of man?

Cause either way I can destroy your arguement.

Choose philosophy and reason or biology let's go!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Native Americans aren't actually native to America either, they just got here first.

After a certain period of time I think it's necessary to stop caring who was where first. Recognize the past tragedies but not many places we inhabit are we native in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Do we go out of our way to behave like animals?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VivreLibre

Do we go out of our way to behave like animals?

Not at all.

I was given an arguement from nature. I discredited that.

IF you want to talk about the philosophical aspect to why man and women isn't he only matrimonial situation the examples become even greater.

So you want to make the arguement that homosexuality has a philosophical problem?

Or is this a god based arguement?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join