It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Plans To Build A U.S. Military Space Base To Stave Off Intergalactic Threats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Interesting read here, ATS saying that DARPA is planning to build a new infrastructure in Space to deal with emerging threats. The article seems to be a little all over the place; saaying that the ultimate goal is to build a modern-style Starship Enterprise with the ultimate goal of building an off-world Military base. This may be a typo, but in the article it says that the budget for this effort is only 16 Million. 16 Million isn't even enough to succeed at such ambitious goals.

The latest venture for the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA), the agency that provides the Department of Defense with their big guns, is an ambitious one: building a modern Star Trek -style ‘Starship Enterprise’ in outer space. DARPA’s new Hallmark program is the first step toward building a U.S. military base of operations in a galaxy far, far away. The first goal isn’t building the ship itself, but rather developing the technology to survive in the extremely inhospitable environment that is deep space. Earth’s operational space domain is violent and dangerous, with an immeasurable amount of objects and space garbage spinning around at thousands of miles per hour. “The scales and speeds in this extreme environment are difficult enough to grasp conceptually, let alone operationally, as is required for commanders overseeing the nation’s increasingly critical space assets,” DARPA explains.

What does ATS think? Is this article a hoax? The idea is an exciting one to ponder however, if it is true then why? and what is the supposed intergalactic threat? Harsh Aliens? Why would Darpa announce this if we haven't even found life outside of Earth yet? much less an advanced civ with the means to attack? What say you, ATS?

www.idigitaltimes.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I'd be willing to bet that any "intergalactic threat" would be able to wipe out a U.S. space defense system with much ease.

At any rate, it is a cool idea.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'd be willing to bet that any "intergalactic threat" would be able to wipe out a U.S. space defense system with much ease.

Why a budget of only 16Mil? That's chump-change for Space development/infrastructure.....

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

More a case of reading too much into it. Hallmark is currently developing a real time command and control system for space based operations.

www.darpa.mil...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
my first thought was a nuclear missile platform. I don't think the world will approve of it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You would think that aliens must exist to spend that amount of money on something such as this. Usually there is cause and effect, so I wonder what is causing them to need this? Thanks for the post OP!

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

First of all, they are going to have to design a shipyard in space, big enough to encapsulate the vessel. They could make a start on that by designing a vehicle for launch from Earth, which will slowly make its way around the planet, picking up all the disused satellites, and their batteries, and specifically any nuclear material onboard. The vessel would have to be capable of autonomously stripping down, and repurposing the materials, from the wires and curcuit boards, to the casings and frameworks of these satellites.

As the vessel makes its way around, it would have to be able to also repurpose the collected materials, growing using those materials, until it dwarfs the ISS. Once the process of collecting and repurposing the masses and masses of electronics and raw materials is complete, what you would have is:

a) the largest man made object to ever orbit our planet

b) a clearer near space environment for vessels to operate in, and for shipbuilding to operate in

c) the beginnings of a shipyard in space.

Basically, the shipyard should at least partially build itself out of the crap we left in space already, meaning a more easily navigable near space, and that as little resource as possible has to be launched from Earth. This method would be cost effective too, being much cheaper than launching rocket after rocket of components and materials, then having to launch separate missions to clean up the space ways around the shipyard to render it safe, and make navigation easier for the eventual ships first crews.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

You would think that aliens must exist to spend that amount of money on something such as this. Usually there is cause and effect, so I wonder what is causing them to need this? Thanks for the post OP!
iTruthSeeker

Right.....! Exactly what I am thinking!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

First of all, they are going to have to design a shipyard in space, big enough to encapsulate the vessel. They could make a start on that by designing a vehicle for launch from Earth, which will slowly make its way around the planet, picking up all the disused satellites, and their batteries, and specifically any nuclear material onboard. The vessel would have to be capable of autonomously stripping down, and repurposing the materials, from the wires and curcuit boards, to the casings and frameworks of these satellites.

As the vessel makes its way around, it would have to be able to also repurpose the collected materials, growing using those materials, until it dwarfs the ISS. Once the process of collecting and repurposing the masses and masses of electronics and raw materials is complete, what you would have is:

a) the largest man made object to ever orbit our planet

b) a clearer near space environment for vessels to operate in, and for shipbuilding to operate in

c) the beginnings of a shipyard in space.

Basically, the shipyard should at least partially build itself out of the crap we left in space already, meaning a more easily navigable near space, and that as little resource as possible has to be launched from Earth. This method would be cost effective too, being much cheaper than launching rocket after rocket of components and materials, then having to launch separate missions to clean up the space ways around the shipyard to render it safe, and make navigation easier for the eventual ships first crews.

Yes, but with a budget of 16Mil for the project, I don't see how this is even remotely possible.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

More a case of reading too much into it. Hallmark is currently developing a real time command and control system for space based operations.

www.darpa.mil...

The article specifically says "intergalactic threats" so there must be more to this. The 16Mil has me scratching my head but I also wonder why now? It has to be about more than just satellites and satellite defense.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Maybe Obama changed his mind about that Death Star after all.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Why a budget of only 16Mil? That's chump-change for Space development/infrastructure.....

It is chump change for a movie about the same subject even.
The budget for the new 'Independence Day: Resurgence' movie was $165 Million.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: lostbook

It is chump change for a movie about the same subject even.
The budget for the new 'Independence Day: Resurgence' movie was $165 Million.

That's a lot of money. What a shame that more money is spent on making a movie than spent on Space exploration. I do hope this becomes reality but I think it needs more than $16Mil. Call it a hunch.......

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Maybe Obama changed his mind about that Death Star after all.

Obama-Death Star?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Will it only be a military base or will it deal with asteroids fast approaching our planet.

Apart from things that go 'bump' into us, can they prove there is an intergalactic threat existing and where is it coming from - before they spend X billion of tax payers money.

Sounds more like a threat to countries on this planet really. Can we be sure their guns won't be aimed back at us?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Funny because Obama scrapped Bush's plans for a space based weapons platform...I'm pretty confident that this will be used to target other countries...but they can say whatever they want...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Is this the space race time loop from the sixties? These guys need some new material.

We need a private space program.

We shouldn't give our lives (tax) to our gov so they can spread the slavery virus known as government to every habitable corner of the universe.

Space exploration is awesome, but the $$ doesn't make sense. Sounds like another grift.

To seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
Or reality...

To build this thing and get to Mars before Musk owns it, because we are control freaks.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

They haven't yet.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
16 mill isn't for any actual item, more its enough to get the people coming up with the ideas and those with legs will then get the serious cash.

DARPA is one of those things that likes to say "can we do X" and leave all the rest of it to the scientists and has enough money to make sure the scientists etc have the money to eat so they can think properly.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Unless its made of adamantium or has some form of Star Trek type shields i dont see the thing lasting very long against an enemy of the extraterrestrial variety. Point of fact it would probably be there first target. LoL

On a more serious note the only enemy that this Military Space Base will see operation against is a lot more of the terrestrial variety.

edit on 23-6-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join