It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court blocks Obama immigration plan

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So the Supreme Court at least decided (by not deciding) that Obama has to enforce the laws of the country (which is his job as the leader of the Executive Branch). The fact that this was tied and so close is just more evidence of how messed up our Supreme Court is these days.

immigration plan Published June 23, 2016 FoxNews.com Facebook22 Twitter67 livefyre12 Email Print DEVELOPING ... The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Obama’s immigration executive actions, in a tie decision that delivers a win to states challenging his plan to give a deportation reprieve to millions of illegal immigrants.

The justices' one-sentence opinion on Thursday effectively kills the plan for the duration of Obama's presidency.

ARTICLE

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I didn't know that Obama had stopped deporting illegal immigrants. Why the hell would he do that?

I guess the Supreme Court is firmly on Donald Trump's side of the issue. That bodes well!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I didn't know that Obama had stopped deporting illegal immigrants. Why the hell would he do that?

I guess the Supreme Court is firmly on Donald Trump's side of the issue. That bodes well!

I think it is more about the President can't simply to decide to stop enforcing the laws of the land. It is one of his primary functions. I have never seen anyone selectively enforce and fail to enforce the law. Not to mention his "Justice Department" doesn't provide fair and equal treatment to all people.

edit on 2016/6/23 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I wonder how this will effect Sanctuary cities?

This will be an interesting development to watch. However, I don't see it meaning a whole hell of a lot at this point. Our Congress has turned into a dog and pony show which does nothing more than focus on "Social Issues" which they know will divide us further while ignoring the HUGE issues we face such as jobs, health care, Debt etc etc..

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Funny how as time passes they get closer and closer to passing things like this. Indoctrination not complete! Must try again next year! They will get their wish eventually.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 23-6-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So now we know the Obama Administration is desperate to violate the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Many of us have known that for far too long.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

There have been next to no deportation of illegals for a while now. They sit in jail or they are let out on release and change ID's and yes this applies to the ones that have been caught more than once.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

These types of cases are exactly why it is so important to elect a president who will put the right people in our Supreme Court.

This time we were saved by a tie. If Obama had put his own choice in there, this would have resulted much differently.

edit on 6/23/16 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yes! And Obama's willingness to violate the laws of our country have nothing to do with some desire to help people.

Traditionally, immigrants and minorities have been shown to almost always vote Democrat. The only reason they want to allow illegal immigration to flourish and to push immigrants through a fast-lane to citizenship rights is because they want to stack the deck in favor of the Democratic party.

If Obama had been successful in his agenda, there would only be Democrats in office for generations. The same thing applies to the Supreme Court nominations. If they get the majority on the court to side with them, again, they will have control for generations.

And Hillary will continue this agenda if she is elected.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have long been of the opinion that our immigration laws need to be strictly enforced until we get it under control, and also get our own house in order. If our homeless and unemployed were given even half the consideration and resources illegal immigrants get, we might actually get somewhere in this country. But our government is too busy kissing everybody's ass but the one they should be kissing...OURS.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

These types of cases are exactly why it is so important to elect a president who will put the right people in our Supreme Court.

This time we were saved by a tie. If Obama had put his own choice in there, this would have resulted much differently.

What happens if another Conservative supreme court justice dies?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Same thing we are seeing now with that other political issue since Orlando.

Only the last check to balance the state's power is no where to be seen.

The Scotus that is not suppose to be political.

Will end up as more yes men to what totalitarians want.

This country would not even be recognizable to the founding fathers.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Poor Obama is at a loss and so dejected.

But the gridlock forced Obama to admit that he is out of moves on immigration and Garland's nomination.

Obama: Supreme Court ruling on immigration 'sets our country back'

Sorry Barry, you can't just makes laws all by yourself.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
From reading the article, it looks to me that what happened was the Supreme Court said the President can't authorize work permits and that deportation is up to the state. That left the lower court ruling in place and everything is business as usual.

It looks to me that Obama was trying to get some laws in place to facilitate a transition to amnesty at the end of his term but the states and judicial branch want to discourage that by making it as messy as possible.

originally posted by: texasgirl

That's always possible but if you go by age it's the left side of the court and the centrists who are due to be replaced in the next 10 years or so. The Senate and possibly House are going to swing left, but short of appointing Garland who is himself a centrist the court has virtually no chance of moving further left in the next 15 years, 16-30 from now though it's going to go pretty far left.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

The fact that this was tied and so close is just more evidence of how messed up our Supreme Court is these days.

Had Scalia lived, he certainly would have sided against Obama, so the outcome would have been similar.

Just another example of why we cannot let Hillary in Office, as she'll continue his legacy of raping the Constitution and intruding on State law, especially if she appoints a liberal Justice.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This underscores that the Courts matter. The lower Court ruling stands because of partisan shenanigans with regard to the Supremes. All three branches of government are needed for this country to run like our Founding Father's intended. We shouldn't let any branch over-reach. Particularly the Executive. But neither should the Legislative block otherwise qualified nominees from coming to a conformation hearing.

new topics

top topics

join