It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds use of race in university affirmative action case

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: atomish

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: atomish

I think the largest percentage would be Asian.

The reason is not because of DNA, but cultural differences.

Are there enough Asians applying to colleges here for them to be the majority of the student base at any of the large ones?

I do not know these statistics.

If not the majority then close to it, and they're ~4% of the population. If you look at the med school chart that I and one other guy posted, you'll see that Asians are racially discriminated against more by AA than white people are.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Football Lives Matter

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: Edumakated

But when you priority something as stupid as somebody's skin color over grades or an application , even if it gives them a leg up from whatever situation they come from, you're still disenfranchising and being prejudice to another person. You can't just use the excuse that the persons spot they take will just get in somewhere else when all the schools are doing it.

It's ridiculous that because of skin color that somebody can have a twice better chance at getting in than somebody else.

you mean someone like George W. Bush being admitted to Yale?......I guess that brillant intellect of his, was the reason.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Could you imagine what a college would look like if you couldn't gain acceptance unless you actually scored in the top 3% on entry exams?

Who would the majority of students be?

Male? Female? Other?
White? Black? Asian? Other?

I bet the results would be interesting.

Asians.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
So here is a good analysis I found that talks about why the case failed. It brings up many of the points that I did earlier:

What Abigail Fisher's Case Was Really About

To summarize:

Abigail Fisher was not qualified and would not have been admitted even if she was black.

Even among those students, Fisher did not particularly stand out. Court records show her grade point average (3.59) and SAT scores (1180 out of 1600) were good but not great for the highly selective flagship university. The school's rejection rate that year for the remaining 841 openings was higher than the turn-down rate for students trying to get into Harvard. As a result, university officials claim in court filings that even if Fisher received points for her race and every other personal achievement factor, the letter she received in the mail still would have said no. It's true that the university, for whatever reason, offered provisional admission to some students with lower test scores and grades than Fisher. Five of those students were black or Latino. Forty-two were white.

Abigail Fisher claimed she lost out on opportunities.

In the Fisher case, while the young woman may have lent her name to the lawsuit, the case before the Court has very little to do with her. Her name appears just five times in the thousands of words that make up the body of the complaint. She has already gone on to graduate from Louisiana State University, her second choice, and is working in finance at a firm in Austin. Asked by a news reporter what harm she had suffered, she cited only her inability to tap into UT's alumni network and possibly missing out on a better first job.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Complain not enough minorities get into college.
Complain too many minorities get into jail.

Could there be a cultural link between some things?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Mostly Asian, but because of this ruling they will continue to get discriminated against by Universities.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

or Obama to Harvard? Oh wait that was affirmative action.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Racism is constitutionally protected?

Oh dear.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

No racism against only certain races. I swear MLK has to be doing barrel roles in his grave right about now.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Or Ben Carson to med school?

Or 3/4s of the football and basketball teams at major universities who read at a 5th grade level?

Or the numerous legacy admissions.

Or the admissions of kids of professors and administrators?

Or the admissions of people with all kinds of connections?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There aren't laws to protect any of the scenarios that you just named. There is a law currently in this country that allowed Texas to illegally discriminate based on skin color. It doesn't matter if you like it or that it's been beneficial to you. It's still wrong and it is still steeped in racism

Let's put it this way edumakated. You are a super successful business professional. You go to an interview for a Fortune 500 company and do well, the hiring manager likes your resume and tells you that you are more qualified than a lot of the candidates that interviewed before you, then he says but we can't hire you because you're Black and some Hispanic interviewees all though they don't have any experience will get the job because they checked a different box on their application. Is that wrong or not wrong?
edit on 23-6-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Well, I simply don't understand how this can possibly be Constitutionally protected.

So they can use race .. so they can deny black people based on race too right?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
According to this source:

www.propublica.org...

of the 47 students who had lower grades but were admitted, 42 are white.

Also, 168 African-American and Latino students who had higher grades were rejected.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join