It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds use of race in university affirmative action case

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well, I simply don't understand how this can possibly be Constitutionally protected. This is the epitome of what is wrong and unfair in our country. Race should never be a consideration for anything. I guess the Government will do anything to keep us divided and categorized.

I am disgusted by this decision.

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the use of race in college admissions for the University of Texas, rejecting a challenge brought by a white woman to the affirmative action program.

The court ruled for the university in a tight, 4-3 decision, marking the second time the court has affirmed the use of race in the admissions process.

ARTICLE

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yea I just read about it too. Doesn't make a lot of sense that you can pick people based on race at a state university. I'm 99% sure that is racist, no matter what race is being disenfranchised. This is like the opposite of brown vs board of education.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Look at the cities that are run by these types let into college by affirmative action, and look at their demise. It is because they are being managed by people who do not know what they are doing because they did not earn it.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 23-6-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Yea I just read about it too. Doesn't make a lot of sense that you can pick people based on race at a state university. I'm 99% sure that is racist, no matter what race is being disenfranchised. This is like the opposite of brown vs board of education.

Blacks should be outraged by this the most. They are basically telling them in so many ways that they cannot do it on their own without help.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Don't you guys know?
Race, gender and religion are a qualification today.
Unless you are a white Christian male, then you need not apply.

"ALL HAIL DIVERSITY"

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Everyone should be disgusted by this ruling

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Could you imagine what a college would look like if you couldn't gain acceptance unless you actually scored in the top 3% on entry exams?

Who would the majority of students be?

Male? Female? Other?
White? Black? Asian? Other?

I bet the results would be interesting.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

It equates to reverse discrimination and entitlement.

Hypocrites.

Race should never be a consideration for anything.

I fear we are past the point of that realization.

Where does that eventually lead us?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I'm gonna polish up my face like Al Jolson, put a towel on my head, and apply for a job.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

That's what China is like. You go to college or you work for 25 cents an hour on a farm or in a factory.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Could you imagine what a college would look like if you couldn't gain acceptance unless you actually scored in the top 3% on entry exams?

Who would the majority of students be?

Male? Female? Other?
White? Black? Asian? Other?

I bet the results would be interesting.

I would be very interested in those results as well.

I imagine the majority would be students from two-parent homes in middle-class or higher income brackets.

I imagine it would have little to do with race or gender and more to do with socioeconomic status and a productive home environment.

ETA: on topic, I am disheartened by this ruling. We will never have equality while we continue to give unequal treatment.

I understand the sentiment and impetus behind things like affirmative action but they do more to divide than unify these days, imo, by avoiding the bigger questions surrounding socioeconomics and our criminal justice system which is in dire need of reform.
edit on 6/23/2016 by atomish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: avgguy

Blacks should be outraged by this the most. They are basically telling them in so many ways that they cannot do it on their own without help.

iTruthSeeker

I have always thought this as well. It is the Left's version of racism.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Affirmative Action makes progressive "feel good" about themselves just like almost everything else they try to push on the rest of us. As my kids would say they are a bunch of Emo's!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I was talking to some people I know who work in universtys in England, they told me that muslims often get a free pass and more or less a free degree. Its common with med training, they are aloud to train and qualifie even when they are below standard. The reasion why this is happing is that the muslims say that god has commanded them to be doctors ect and if they are not let be what god want them to be than its religious discrimation. In the med field they are aloud to brake rules other people are not. So I think GB is in a worse posision than the US at the moment.
www.dailymail.co.uk... ions.html

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

So hypocritical to be for affirmative action. Progressives don't really want everyone to be equal and you're right its more about making people feel good especially themselves.

I believe the people that deserve it should get into college regardless of race. I'm sure I can get into the numerous all black colleges now.... right?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Plus they're saying all black people are poor and victims

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

This is real, actual systemic racism. Unlike the nebulous, ghost like claims of systemic racism by SJW's.
edit on 23-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I tend to support affirmative action to some degree. I'm black and have benefited from it immensely. Part of me is against it, but also I am for it as I've seen its benefits. It is a very nuanced issue and I think people on both sides of the debate have trouble grasping the issues.

As some of you know from my posting history, I tend to be pretty far right in most of my views. However, this is one where I tend to break ranks.

I'm going to try to post more, but a bit busy at work. To summarize though, affirmative action is really only an issue at the very best public and private universities. The reason many are against it is because they erroneously believe someone may have taken their spot at some school. Admission to certain schools almost guarantees an upper middle class life or opens doors to professions and other schools. This is why people clamor so much about getting into the Ivy League or peer schools.

When someone isn't accepted at said school, they start looking to blame someone because they feel like their spot at the table has been taken. This is what these challenges are about.

Opponents of affirmative action act as if the classrooms are full of black students. The reality is that even with affirmative action, we are still a very small percentage at most of these schools. There were 15 blacks in my class of 650 students in grad school. Half of them weren't even US citizens, but from Africa. To put this in perspective, my school gets about 10,000 applicants per year for 650 spots. They could accept every student with a perfect GPA and test scores and still have to turn away thousands of applicants. No matter what the schools do, somebody is going to get turned away.

The reality is that the schools are looking for more than just perfect test scores and GPAs. While there is a high correlation, they don't necessarily predict performance or provide the best learning environment. The schools are trying to create a class that they believe provides the best educational environment FOR ALL STUDENTS.

I served on the admissions committee at my graduate school and we would often times pick students who came from the midwest because they were underrepresented. We'd often pick people with different backgrounds. We'd pick people with unique stories.

The reality is that if someone is qualified to attend a top school, they may not get into every school, but they will get into at least one of the schools in the same tier. For example, a student may not get into Harvard, but they may get into Princeton. They may not get into Stanford, but they may get into Yale. No one who is qualified is going to get dinged by all the schools and wind up at University of Phoenix.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm going to make an argument against affirmative action later, but the one problem I do have with opponents of affirmative action is their lack of consistency on the issue. Many people have no problem allowing functionally illiterate athletes in at these schools to play sports, but act like it is the end of the world if a some black students get accepted to actually go to school to further their education.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

But when you priority something as stupid as somebody's skin color over grades or an application , even if it gives them a leg up from whatever situation they come from, you're still disenfranchising and being prejudice to another person. You can't just use the excuse that the persons spot they take will just get in somewhere else when all the schools are doing it.

It's ridiculous that because of skin color that somebody can have a twice better chance at getting in than somebody else.
edit on 23-6-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join