It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess how many welfare recipients tested positive in Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s drug test?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I bet if you drug tested 300 Michigan politicians that more than 0% would test positive for drugs; all on the tax payer's dime. Hypocrites; the entire lot of 'em.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Why stop there ?
Politicians like Rick receive a Gov salary.
Maybe they should test everyone and make the results public ?
The highest ranking official with the most
drugs has to donate their wages spread amoungst the lowest
ranking w the least drugs in their system.
Hunger Drug Games ?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Let's test the politicians and see how many of them have clean results

Hypocrites...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420

Let's test the politicians and see how many of them have clean results

Hypocrites...

I bet it would be the same number. They have access to the same methods to beat whatever tests we throw at them that the poor people do. I mean, how hard is it to find clean pee, put it into a plastic bag, and strap it to your leg with some handwarmers?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

This is exactly right.

I was a child of welfare- my mom took care of us. She worked, she went back to school, got a degree, and I will never forget how excited she was the day she got her job that took us off welfare. I was only about 8 at the time....

Never once would I describe her as lazy. Juggling two kids, working, going to school, and still time to be there and teach us what it meant to be good people.

My dad on the other hand, highly educated, great money, but hardly there, and nearly zero support... Looking back, he struck me as the lazy selfish one.

+17 more 
link   
Of course these asinine assaults on the poor are heralded by some - picking on the powerless is a zero risk / zero effort activity. The easy answer is to demonize those with no voice when the question "Why are things going downhill so fast?" gets asked.

It's funny to watch people who are barely hanging on blame those who are having a rougher time of it. Poor? Then you must be flawed and deserve it!

Funnier still that when those who are barely hanging on fall themselves, they still tend to blame those that they see as somehow beneath them and who they see as "the other"... I'm only on the dole because some damned Mexican stole my job...

Sigh.

We'll spend a fortune to try and hound somebody who makes $120 a month in food benefits - but nobody seems to suggest that we drug test the board of Exxon when they receive billions each year in taxpayer subsidies.

We didn't drug test the idiot bankers who deliberately crashed our economy.

We don't drug test Congressmen nor the lobbyists who openly purchase them.

But... hey... By all means... Let's keep focusing on those at the very bottom. They've simply GOT to be the problem.

link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I"m not American, I don't care about that, I care about a really stupid program that Rick put together that's failed miserably.

Right, but not the dozens and dozens of failed Democrat programs that were stupid and wasted money. You're not even American and you're taking part in partisan American politics. I find that kind of pathetic.

Please don't make this about silly partisan politics

You have made it that by virtue of your very slanted and narrowly focused posting.

Also, Obama is not the single cause of all the woes in the US.

So you're not a Democrat or Republican, you just always bash Republicans and slavishly defend Democrats? Obama is the President. That means what happens under his watch is his responsibility. Just like Bush was to blame for EVERYTHING even after Obama was elected. He's certainly more responsible than Rick Snyder, but you're all butt hurt over him.

Pretty sure he doesn't decide what states spend on what and what programs Governors are developing and deploying.

I'm pretty sure he runs the country and Rick Snyder doesn't.

Nice try though.

I can read you like a book.

edit on 23-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I've changed my mind. I'm actually happy that he did this. It needed to be done, I guess.

I hope it puts minds to rest, and it will be a valuable tool in the future in refuting such claims.

That is a good way to look at it.
It was a fail, let's not waste good money on such crap again.

That, however, is not the typical way of our governing officials.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Here's what education can do:

We have a technical school here that offers day courses to high-school students and evening courses to adults. They teach courses like Auto Mechanics, Body Shop, Masonry, Welding, Machine Shop, Drafting, Industrial Maintenance, HVAC, etc. During high school, any student in good standing can opt to attend, starting in the 10th grade. The cost is $50 per semester and there are programs that even waive that for very low income families. The rest is subsidized by the state.

The instructors are (semi)retired professionals in their field, usually with 20+ years experience, not strictly educators. They work with local employers to determine what skills are needed and to help graduates get those positions. Those graduates have created a legacy here that makes that certificate worth something in an interview, because they have proven this program works.

Several larger employers have even donated state-of-the-art equipment.

Students don't just do classroom exercises. The majority of their time is spent on real work. People bring cars to the Auto Mechanics shop to be fixed, cheaply, but understanding these are kids under supervision, not experienced mechanics. Masonry takes field trips to lay block/brick for local businesses and individuals. I have had a lot of parts for projects made in the Machine Shop.

The result? Taxable income has risen, more than offsetting the subsidies. Crime has dropped. Industry has a reason to move here. Kids have good-paying jobs.

THAT'S what education can do.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I can agree with most of that.

a reply to: butcherguy

I suspect that you would rather everyone pay more in taxes to take care of a problem that not everyone feels responsible for.

I can only speak for myself.

They can't support a family because they don't have the skills or training needed. They may be guilty of poor decision-making also! Maybe we should sponsor taxpayer funded public schools to teach them how to make those decisions.... no wait, we already have them.... and they apparently fail.

It's a lot more complicated then that. Some welfare recipients may have the training and skills, but there is no market for their abilities.

We have to look at this issue much deeper than the shallow approach many take. Otherwise we come no closer to finding a solution.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So we have a case that should be celebrated and put forth on the news.

But instead we have to shame the politicians who wanted the tests

Tests are not bad. The results should be broadcast nationally to end this sterotype

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

The key question about the results is were the claimants told in advance that they would be tested? In other words, did a bunch of people stay at home that day rather than get tested? An indicative factor would be how many people applied during that time, or walked out on the process, versus how many usually apply during a period when testing was not mandated?

You see, the goal with such programs, is to not catch people, but to simply dissuade them from using the drugs OR applying if they do use.

In that regard, you can say that this and similar programs absolutely work and not in a harmful way.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think its' great!! It's reduced drug use by welfare recipients to zero! How can you not call that an overwhelming success?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I can only speak for myself.

Okay.
You don't seem to be opposed to spending other people's money to support the results of poor decision-making by people that should be paying taxes to begin with.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

So you're not a Democrat or Republican, you just always bash Republicans and slavishly defend Democrats? Obama is the President. That means what happens under his watch is his responsibility. Just like Bush was to blame for EVERYTHING even after Obama was elected. He's certainly more responsible than Rick Snyder, but you're all butt hurt over him.

Go through my posting history and find any posts that defend democrats. GO ahead. And the GOP make it too easy to lambaste them for their positions I'm sorry. They are the party of 1950 in 2016, that's pathetic really.

You won't find any of those posts I mentioned above. And please stick to the topic and not my character. Every time you engage me in threads you pull out adhominem and character assassinations and I am quite tired of it.

I'm pretty sure he runs the country and Rick Snyder doesn't.

If you think the POTUS actually runs the WHOLE country and not just the Federal Government, then you have some history and civic lessons to take my friend.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Poor decision making...

Let me tell you a story.

I graduated high school with a three-year certificate in drafting; my parents couldn't afford college. I worked 6 years at the local nuclear plant, several promotions, good money, etc. I built a house, bought a car, went into debt, worked diligently at a job I hated, and then the economy went bust. The three major employers in this area accounting for over 50% of the local income, went bust in under a month. One of them was my employer. Where was my bad decision? Where was my lack of skills?

I had just enrolled in college to be an engineer. I chose not to move away and stay in school. I worked a full-time job as an electrician and part-time in the evenings drawing house plans, while taking a full load in school. At one point, I went without food for a week... 7 day... because I had no money to buy any. Where was my laziness?

I eventually gave up and moved off to find work. I owned my own drafting service within 7 years. I managed to move back home with my new family. After a couple more years, I was taking in more work than I could produce and could not find good help. My work logs from the last 18 months of that business showed that I worked an average of 16 hours per day, 7 days a week, no holidays, no weekends off, constant. Where was my laziness?

I finally collapsed, physically and mentally. I lost the business, my income, and for a while, my sanity. I went into clinical depression for 5 long years. I had no insurance, so I was on my own. The only reason I didn't commit suicide was I was totally convinced I would screw that up too. I jumped every time the phone rang, every knock on the door, every sound. I couldn't sleep, barely ate, spent all my time alone. I say to this day I danced on the edge of Hell and spit in Satan's face. It was the most terrifying years I can even imagine.

My wife got us on government assistance. Thank God she did. Was that a bad decision?

I finally pulled myself together enough to try and get a job. I still couldn't face people, so I looked into truck driving. A company got me a student loan for tuition; all I needed was enough money to live for 6 weeks. I worked for a week at the county fair, took that and bought some computer parts. A friend had helped me get a contract to supply 9 computers to his business. I built the computers, got paid, and left to go truck driving. 2 months later we were off assistance. Where was my bad decision?

I missed the majority of seeing my kids grow up. If lucky, I would be home every other weekend. I drove for 8 years, until my son was getting too unruly for my wife to handle. I took a local job that landed me home most nights. Then the recession hit. I was laid off. I was back on assistance. Where was my bad decision?

I took part-time minimum-wage jobs and then found an assistance program to get back in school. I spent 5 years to finish, working as a merchandiser, a tutor, a gopher, fixing computers... anything I could do. Last May I received my Bachelors and now have an internship assisting with research. With luck, I will soon be off assistance again. This time as an electrical engineer. Where was my bad decision?

That is a true story. Now you tell me: where was I lazy? Where is the bad decision that is so terrible it says I should be punished for the rest of my life? Where?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
All the people I know in Texas could never pass that test.

But, the guy squeezing out small containers of pee for $25.00

Business is up 5000%....They are poor, not stupid.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Gee Rick, how many people could 300,000 put through some training for good or better jobs.

I had (stupidly) high hopes for this man.

He continuously lets me down.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
There are many types of welfare.. I think he tested the wrong people. There is cash assistance, wic, ebt, etc etc. I think if he tested strictly people with EBT cards the results would have been much different. Things like cash assistance, you have to be working and showing effort. EBT can be had for nothing.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This has been a bust in every state they do it in. It always ends up costing a ton of money and never gets any results. Not a big surprise that poor people can not afford drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join