It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The red lionfish spreading through the Mediterranean

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

A beautiful little creature called the red lionfish also known as the Devil Firefish is spreading through the Mediterranean were it possibly could wreak havoc in the ecosystem.. Even sharks avoid the slow-moving little fish. Locals are encouraged to eat the fish in a bid to keep their numbers low..

Lets hope the Wolf-fish does not also jump in the Mediterranean..

The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (UICN) has raised concerns after the lionfish was spotted in the waters around Turkey, Cyprus and the eastern Mediterranean.

Link - Article
Link - Wikipedia

edit on 2016623 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

This is what happens when people improperly dispose of their aquarium pets. Don't buy something you aren't going to keep for its lifetime, and if you must give it up, don't dump it in the local lake, river, ocean, etc.

Florida and the surrounding areas also have problems with these guys, but you can eat them. Just be sure you handle them carefully. The spines are poisonous.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Florida just doesn't have a dumping of aquarium pets problem, they have a problem with people dumping their pet pythons and others animals.
their literally eating all of the wildlife in the glades.

not only that there's the snakes head fish all over the U.S.

The Snake That’s Eating Florida

edit on 23-6-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Even though i think the fish is lovely, ive seen the fish do more damage than good..

I think the authorities should step in..

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

wasnt this just a story without evidence?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I believe the fish should be hunted down and killed, i think its the best solution.. Does anyone disagree?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
I believe the fish should be hunted down and killed, i think its the best solution.. Does anyone disagree?

It's an invasive. There is no problem with that. Just do yourself a favor and put it to good use. Eat it. They do taste pretty good from what I've heard. And the best part is that you don't have to worry about destroying the native stock because you are actually doing the are a favor by fishing voraciously.
edit on 23-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

did you not see all the invasive species that were shown. all the proof presented.

it is a proven fact all over the world that when a predatory species is introduced into a ego system where it had no natural
enemies, it can and will devastate the wildlife in that area.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Im gonna leave the eating to the Asians

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

are you blind did you not see all the invasive species that were shown. all the proof presented.

it is a proven fact all over the world that when a predatory species is introduced into a ego system where it had no natural
enemies, it can and will devastate the wildlife in that area.

You are correct, of course.
Florida has been overrun with invasive species. There have been Nile Crocodile found in Florida.

There may be a deadly new invasive species lurking in Florida's swamps. A team of scientists has identified three reptiles captured near Miami as Nile crocodiles, a species native to Africa.

CNN
Nine Florida restaurants are serving lionfish to combat their spread: Huffington Post

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Man I loved our lionfish that we had in our aquariums..... Please people, this is what happens when you just dump your fish friends once you've decided the upkeep was too expensive, or you just get bored of them...... See if anyone on craigslist is interested, or even call the place you bought it from to see if they will take it back. Don't dump into ponds lakes and rivers though. Its how you screw up the ecosystem.

Just had to deal with a nasty algae bloom in a pond because some asshat dumped his tank in there.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You are correct, of course. Florida has been overrun with invasive species. There have been Nile Crocodile found in Florida.

There has? I wonder how well you guys would do if a Northern animal came in? Wolf or maybe even a Bear and i dont even want to imagine what a weasel would do.. three nile crocs...

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Sushi time...give the tuna a break

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

there are bears in fl.

Weighing in at 740 pounds, biggest ever Florida black bear killed

More than 200 bears killed in first day of Florida hunt

in fact there are so many bears that they are becoming a problem.

we also Long-tailed weasel, coyotes, and although the state wildlife management says there are only a few we have panthers all over the state.

lots of wildlife in Florida.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Here is what could happen if the US introduced the Swedish Carpenter ant..

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
If they are a favorite in aquariums, could someone make a business out of it? Catch them and sell them to aquarium lovers? Win win? If people could make money off them, it would fish them out quickly, I suspect.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Watch out for the weasel..

Ounce for ounce, the long-tailed weasel ranks as one of nature's most relentless and ferocious predators.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

here s a list from the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission.
Wildlife & Habitats

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

If they are a favorite in aquariums, could someone make a business out of it? Catch them and sell them to aquarium lovers? Win win? If people could make money off them, it would fish them out quickly, I suspect.

that's why they are here in the wild now, people making money off of them and then people not wanting them becauce they kill the other fish they have so they dump them.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join