It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tom Coburn lectures congress.

page: 1

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:40 AM

Dr. Tom Coburn, former U.S. Senator from Oklahoma, tells a congressional committee that Americans are fed up with the partisanship, wasteful spending, and overreach. Coburn left the Senate in 2015 to advocate for Convention of States Project, the only constitutional solution as big as the D.C. problem

I just recently saw this video and it struct me kid of hard... Yea he was a republican but Coburn always walked his own path, I liked a lot of what he stood for while he was in office.

Its also the first time I have heard about the convention of states...

Convention of states

their proposed solution is a convention of states..

1. Congress can propose amendments to the Constitution at any time if 2/3 of both houses of Congress agree. 2. A Convention of States can propose amendments if 2/3 of states submit applications for such a convention. These applications must all deal with the same issue (i.e., limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government). The Founders knew the federal government might one day become drunk with the abuses of power. The most important check to this power is Article V. Article V gives states the power to call a convention for the purpose of proposing amendments to the Constitution. By calling a convention of the states, we can stop the federal spending and debt spree, the power grabs of the federal courts, and other misuses of federal power. The current situation is precisely what the Founders feared, and they gave us a solution we have a duty to use. After the states propose, debate, and vote upon the proposed amendments, they will be sent to the 50 states for ratification. Three-quarters of the states must agree for any of the proposed amendments to be ratified. Congress has no authority to stop such a process. The Founders made sure of that. We are approaching a crossroads.

its something I will keep on my radar, what says the ATS... this a chance for the people to take back some power?

Or just another angle of attack from TPTB?
edit on 23-6-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:04 AM
a reply to: Irishhaf
Believe me Tom, we felt the same way when your Greatness was still in Congress.

Bankers helpers, the lot of them. Sold Out our Country, they can all go to Hell.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 07:31 AM

Maybe they can add a few amendments like a balanced budget where outflow can't exceed inflow. Repeal income taxes. "Any American citizen can have a gun without restriction by Federal, State or Local Government" things like that would be great.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 09:48 AM

I've been following this and I think its highly doubtful it will happen as these people would hope. The reason is that the magic 2/3 number means 34 states have to sign on to the same proposal. By my math, there are only 29.

The reason I've followed this is because I'm following 2nd Amendment issues and I've feared that the Convention of States could be hijacked by proposal to rescind the 2nd Amendment.

Part of the reason I don't see this happening anytime soon is because there seems to be near even count between Red States/Blue States. By last count there were 29 Red States and 21 Blue States. However, that situation is very fluid and I'd expect that as time goes on, States which had been "Red" will turn "Blue" as immigration trends accelerate.

What that really means over time is that there's a greater likelihood that, given say 10~20 years, the Blue States will swamp the Blue States and the 2nd Amendment will be rescinded, than there is a likelihood that a Convention can happen in time for Red States to dominate and get a Convention on a spending resolution.

new topics

top topics