It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Referendum Vote - Watch it live here

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I've heard that it's expected to be a close vote.
With an unusual attack of laziness; was there a referendum to join the EU? And, how did that go?

There was NO referendum to join the E.U in 1973, but there was a referendum in 1975 asking the people if they wanted to remain, and remain we did.

Big difference this time around is that instead of being part of a single market as we were in 1975, we are now subjected to ever increasing laws made by faceless politicians, less control on our borders with a federal Europe on the horizon.

I will be voting 'Out' today, along with most people I know.
edit on 23/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I will be voting 'Out' today, along with most people I know.

Don't know about you but it feels like I'm about to press the button that says Don't Press This Button.
Exciting times.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
There was NO referendum to join the E.U in 1973, but there was a referendum in 1975 asking the people if they wanted to remain, and remain we did.

History repeats itself, in that the 1975 referendum was a concession by the Prime Minister (Harold Wilson) to the sceptics in his own party.
With much fanfare, he had "renegotiated" the Treaty which Edward Heath had signed up to.
If the result is different this time, it will be partly because David Cameron has not been convincing in his own "renegotiation".

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It feels like for the first time ever, my vote could actually make a difference.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: gladtobehere

LOL.

Personally speaking, I hope they vote out.

I have a feeling the EU is going to collapse with huge *thud* sound in the very near future, and this could very well be the UK's only chance to jump from that sinking ship before it's too late.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see how the majority of Brits feel about it.

And you know what happened the last time Europe collapsed with a large "Thud". ?
edit on 23-6-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

we are now subjected to ever increasing laws made by faceless politicians, less control on our borders with a federal Europe on the horizon.

you actually vote for your mep, who in turn elects other officials.
months of facts laid out for the weak minded, yet you prove here, you accept the ukip lie.
leaving the eu would have border control remain the same, boris, gove and farage admitted it themselves.
to stay in the market, our borders must remain open.
unless you mean the north african refugees, which, isn't part europe.

do you get your information from a brick?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum

The officials in Brussels are NOT chosen by the European Parliament. That's where the "democratic deficit" comes from.
The EU is run by a civil service which is under no real democratic control.

edit on 23-6-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Well, I just voted.

I voted out, despite the fact that I cannot afford to suffer financial burdens greater than those I am already facing, and in the full knowledge that a result in favour of leaving, could be very costly.

The reason? I disagree on principle with any state other than the one I live in, having any control, militarily, politically, or legally, over what goes on in my nation.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

we are now subjected to ever increasing laws made by faceless politicians, less control on our borders with a federal Europe on the horizon.

months of facts laid out for the weak minded, yet you prove here, you accept the ukip lie.
leaving the eu would have border control remain the same, boris, gove and farage admitted it themselves.

It's laughable it really is.

The MEP's are toothless and vote in blocks anyway, look at he way the E.U Parliament is set up. I couldn't even tell you who my local MEP is, let alone what way they are voting on my behalf.

The commissioners are appointed by the P.M of he day and they propose legislation that effects everyone in the E.U region. It is then debated in the E.U Parliament where lobbying knows no bounds.

All the Bilderbergers want us to stay in including - Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and Osborne. Maybe instead of trumpeting what the MSM state, you could do your own research?

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

you actually vote for your mep, who in turn elects other officials. months of facts laid out for the weak minded, yet you prove here, you accept the ukip lie. leaving t

Who elected the President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker ?
Nobody he's an unelected appointee , that's EU democracy in action.

edit on 23-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
WikiLeaks/Julian Assange will be hosting a live broadcast on the referendum here:

brexitclub.eu...

Depending on where you are, you can tune in at:

London: 20:00
Paris/ Berlin: 21:00
Athens: 22:00
New York: 15:00
Delhi: 24:00
Sydney: 05:00

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Thanks for the link , will watch it tonight.

Free Julian Assange !

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, I just voted.

I voted out, despite the fact that I cannot afford to suffer financial burdens greater than those I am already facing, and in the full knowledge that a result in favour of leaving, could be very costly.

The reason? I disagree on principle with any state other than the one I live in, having any control, militarily, politically, or legally, over what goes on in my nation.

If I was in the UK, I feel I would likely be voting like you and with the same reservations, but for the same reasons.

Good on you, and good luck to both sides. This is quite the contest, hoping whatever result you get is what will help your people the most.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

a reply to: Phage

1967 The European Community was established

1973 Britain joined the European Community. Tory Prime Minister Edward Heath took Britain in.

1975 Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson had a referendum on Britain’s membership – the last national referendum this country has had. 66% voted yes – to stay in the European Community

Link

I had to look it up myself.

Sounds like they didn't have a vote to join originally ?

But a couple years later they did have a referendum to decide whether to leave or stay.

It was a massive con too, stay had a massive financial advantage over leave.

I'm assuming the referendum happened a couple of years later after joining because citizens were kicking up a fuss that they didn't get to have a say in the matter in 1973 ?

Sounds like typical political game playing.

Yeah, but it was planned that way because people tend to vote for the status quo and they figured we would never vote to join, but might vote to stay.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and Osborne. Maybe instead of trumpeting what the MSM state, you could do your own research?

These clowns are the ones in support of staying in the EU?

No wonder there is such staunch opposition. Folks still listen to these jokers? (Realizing you can't get away from all of them quite just yet.)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well, I just voted.

Principles are all we got at the end.
You can't eat them, but no one can take them off you either.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: atomish

I appreciate your concern, and your well wishes in equal measure.

Here's hoping for a fair, free, and democratic vote in either case. The people deserve at least that.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

MEP's do not have power to propose or remove laws, only the commission does. The commissioners are selected by national ministers. It's akin to letting the House of Lords control everything. totally undemocratic and a massive retrograde step.

Our borders will stay but we will be able to refuse entry to people from the EU which we just can't do now.

We will also not have to join an EU army or allow visa free access and right to remain for all the new entrants like Turkey etc.

And we will get to elect the people who make our laws and conduct our own trade deals with the whole world.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
even if the Remain wins, still the changes in EU should be drastic. No excuse of eurocrats anymore. Tens of millions people in that major country show their complete dissatisfaction (to put it mild) with the EU system today. Similar numbers/percents are present in France and elsewhere. One should be completely out of touch with reality to say it would be business as usual, if Remain wins. Unfortunately, some eurocrats try to sell us such product in the days before referendum. That policy is doomed to fail. Better thru referenda.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
[
edit on 23-6-2016 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join