It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relax, it'll be 1,500 years before aliens contact us:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Ok this is my first post in this forum so be gentle.

Relax, it'll be 1,500 years before aliens contact us

We haven’t heard from aliens yet, as space is a big place – but that doesn’t mean no one is out there,” said Cornell student Evan Solomonides ’19, who will present “A Probabilistic Analysis of the Fermi Paradox” at the American Astronomical Society’s meeting June 16 in San Diego. Yervant Terzian, Cornell’s Tisch Distinguished University Professor of Astronomy, is the co-author on the unpublished paper upon which this presentation is based. “It’s possible to hear any time at all, but it becomes likely we will have heard around 1,500 years from now,” said Solomonides. “Until then, it is possible that we appear to be alone – even if we are not. But if we stop listening or looking, we may miss the signals. So we should keep looking.” Read more at archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

I know some will say they are here but so far we have not gotten that breaking news report yet with Obama or the Secretary General of the U.N addressing the world. all theories and possibilities aside..read on.

Nonetheless, Earth’s broadcast signals have reached every star within about 80 light years from the sun – about 8,531 stars and 3,555 Earthlike planets, as our Milky Way galaxy alone contains 200 billion stars. “Even our mundane, typical spiral galaxy – not exceptionally large compared to other galaxies – is vast beyond imagination,” said Solomonides. “Those numbers are what make the Fermi Paradox so counterintuitive. We have reached so many stars and planets, surely we should have reached somebody by now, and in turn been reached … this demonstrates why we appear to be alone.” Combining the equations for the Fermi paradox and the mediocrity principle, the authors suggests Earth might hear from an alien civilization when approximately half of the Milky Way Galaxy has been signaled in about 1,500 years. “This is not to say that we must be reached by then or else we are, in fact, alone. We simply claim that it is somewhat unlikely that we will not hear anything before that time,” Solomonides said. Read more at archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

So maybe we just need more time??..if so too bad most of us won't be around for that big day, not to say we can't spot something amounting to pond scum, but to have an E.T dj play off like in Close Encounter Of The 3rd Kind maybe will be awhile.
Btw whatever happend to that WOW! signal from way back.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Nice first post. However on this site there's more than a few UFO experts and an even greater # that thinks governments are filthy liars.

I'm the latter.

Just because there has never been an official announcement from a nation or government doesn't mean that it hasn't happened ( many times over. )

There are more than enough eye witness and video accounts that confirm at least the existence.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Interesting. If the Earthlike Planets reached number is actually only about 3000, I could see it being highly likely that some of them may have sentient beings, but still a very small chance that one of those is in the right stage of technological development for "send/receive" capabilities.

What's funny is that I've always been more interested in what plants and animals from the planet we eventually find will look like than the "higher intelligence" beings of the planet. To me, the idea of an entire alien WORLD is far more fascinating than just the talking/building species on the world!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Good post, I agree with the premise,

I would like to add that electromagnetic radiation ( radio and television etc. ) is subject to the inverse square law (the signal is 1/4 the strength at double the distance travelled.)

Before the advent of fiberoptic cable infrastructure and satellites it was often difficult to get a clear signal from the next county, imagine how much of that same signal is left by the time it reaches 80 light years of space filled with all sorts of electromagnetic noise?

The WOW signal has not been repeated so nobody knows but it should be pointed out to anyone reading along that it wasn't quite the definitive event some people believe.

Going from memory, It was a quick blast in a wavelength that is usually quiet in space terms. I believe it had some other characteristics that suggested it could have been an artificial source but again, there are all sorts of other things besides E.T. out there making all sorts of noise across the whole EM spectrum.

A good analogy is the recent finding in the Kepler data that suggested the signature of a particular star system was similar to what would be expected from something from science fiction called a Dyson sphere but was found to be a protoplanetary disc.

As far as the resident "UFO" experts, Caveat Emptor.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

What's funny is that I've always been more interested in what plants and animals from the planet we eventually find will look like than the "higher intelligence" beings of the planet. To me, the idea of an entire alien WORLD is far more fascinating than just the talking/building species on the world!

True but many of us would like to relate, you know carry on a conversation and compare notes even recipes, yes I know , I was raised on too many Star Trek..

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Aliens know all about this planet and only make the mistake of coming here once. You see different types of ufos once or twice then never again... Why?

There is a being on earth that found a way to interface with the universe and is using a super computer to manipulate reality and life forms here. It's acting as if the creator of the universe.

Aliens know that because what it's doing is wrecking other parts of the universe. They trace the disturbance to earth and come here to investigate. Once here it captures them and basically interrogates them to find their origin then destroys their species.

We are all trapped here under the control of deranged people with advanced technology.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

What do you think about Stephen Hawkings notion that we should NOT seek to attract the attention of aliens, as they might well show up and exterminate us, rather like how the Europeans genocided Native Americans and stole their continent?

Be careful what you wish for?

Kev

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

What do you think about Stephen Hawkings notion that we should NOT seek to attract the attention of aliens, as they might well show up and exterminate us, rather like how the Europeans genocided Native Americans and stole their continent?

Kev

Well my guess or hope is they wouldn't behave quite like us, then again judging how life works here on this planet of Predator and Prey, his opinion should not be disregarded lightly after all curiosity did kill the cat , but as a species we also crave exploration and contact sometime at a very high price.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

It is impossible to have encountered too much Star Trek.

Between that and Bill and Ted's Excellent and/or Bogus adventures, that's my childhood visual entertainment in a nutshell... That and plenty of real science documentaries of course!

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
the universe is too grand and the possibilities too endless to think that there is nothing conscious that can travel somewhere instantly or almost instantly, i feel

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some interesting comments there mate but does seem to contradict SETI astronomer Seth Shostak"s opinion that we"ll fnd non human intelligence before 2030 - he even bets the audience a cup of coffee (see link above).

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Combining the equations for the Fermi paradox and the mediocrity principle, the authors suggests Earth might hear from an alien civilization when approximately half of the Milky Way Galaxy has been signaled in about 1,500 years.

Equation-smazion. Nothing personal stone age scientists, but determining if we have or will be visited in some future is impossible with our current tech and puny thought processes.

Any civilization advanced enough to have say, interstellar travel will be out there everywhere by now. If we presume for a moment that life springs up from lifelessness and wasn't actually brought here by them in the first place…

then we can also presume their sensors are away more advanced at finding where life exists already and visiting it exclusively. They aren't ike us, investigating every lifeless snowball in every star system.

They would be drawn specifically to life and 'all over it'.

The same way we might be drawn to a tidal pool, ant nest or bee hive.

In fact it is interesting to note that such a visit may already have occurred.

The first signs of advancing technology on our part that have far reaching implications for our pale blue dot might be the development of advanced weaponry, (nuclear explosions) and advanced signal generation (radar), both of which were concentrated around the south western US after WWII.

Think Roswell…

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
We know nothing

They know

But wont let you know

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Any civilization advanced enough to have say, interstellar travel will be out there everywhere by now. If we presume for a moment that life springs up from lifelessness and wasn't actually brought here by them in the first place…

Ive never understood people who make this point.

So, you do not believe it possible for life to spring up as some cosmic accident and therefore attribute us to being 'created' by some alien culture, either as an experiment, pets, future food source or even some benevolent reason. Because you don't believe life can spring from nothing.

But always, always do you fail to consider that if only life can create life, what created those who created us?

And no, I'm not religious.
edit on 23-6-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Messengeroflove

If that was a movie, I'd pay to see it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some interesting comments there mate but does seem to contradict SETI astronomer Seth Shostak"s opinion that we"ll fnd non human intelligence before 2030 - he even bets the audience a cup of coffee (see link above).

Cheers.

Seth Shostak is saying what the NSA or CIA tell him to say in my opinion. He is always pushing a certain narrative that contradicts over 70 years of UFO data and blacked out documents on the subject. All of the folks who have high profile public exposure push the same narrative like he does, and they often trip over each other to move that agenda forward which is quite transparent to me and others.

It is also career suicide to say anything other than what they are currently saying, so it is difficult to really blame them. People have to have a job income in this world, or life goes in a very bad way very quickly.

edit on 23-6-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

Kev

If aliens have the technology to come kill us easily, they also have the technology that makes killing us for resources/territory extremely unlikely. They would not only have access to magnitudes more resources than our solar system could supply, they can probably make anything they want from anything else. There is nothing 'special' here for them.

If aliens have the technology to come kill us easily, they will, regardless of our actions. Just to travel from star to star easily would mean that they have detection capabilities that we can't even fathom yet. They would already know about us, long before our 'snail mail' ever gets to them.

Worrying about some advanced beings out there, waiting for us young species to expose ourselves, is pretty silly. If they are that advanced, they already know we are here, they have a very good understanding of our capabilities (past, present, and further than we can see into the future), and they will do to us what they will. No real point worrying about it.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

There is no reason at all to believe 'they already know we are here'. Since we do not know what technology is capable of beyond what we already know, we cannot assume anything. Maybe they do have to hear our radio signals first.

Furthermore, we can't assume we wouldn't be a valuable resource to them. Maybe instead of mineral resources, they value organic material beyond all else, making us a very attractive military target.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I don't worry about. It would be an improvement for all other species if that did happen.

It does not matter how advanced a species is.

Any and all species could be an asshole species just like we are.

Kev

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It's too bad that we'll be long past the Artificial Superintelligence singularity by that point, and the only things around to catch the signal will be our intelligent robotic offspring.

But maybe that's fine. Humanity is at such a weird pivotal point in its history that it would be extremely unlikely that we would be contacted by aliens who just happen to only be a few years in advance of us technologically. It would be much more likely that the aliens' intelligent robotic offspring are the ones doing the signalling and exploring.

If there were any aliens, of course. And there's no evidence at this point that there are any.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join