It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes an American, an American?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I bleed red white and blue, I served as an infantryman, I never throw up after a beer bong

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I bleed red white and blue, I served as an infantryman, I never throw up after a beer bong

Nether do i, think we would have a # hot night out,,pub crawl anyone lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Where you come from used t be the way to identify yourself.

But I don't know if I would want to associate with those Americans who aren't for freedoms and liberties.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Someone who stands in front of women and children, not behind them.

Someone who will fight a war declared on them, and not call it holy but righteous.

Someone who does not make fun of or mock other religions.

Someone who believes that child slavery and pedophilia is abhorrent.

Someone who embraces the variety of backgrounds of other peaceful citizens who make up the population.

Someone who fights for the inalienable rights of all peaceful peoples, irrespective of one's personal opinions and choices, to pursue happiness in life.

Someone who will defend liberty from tyranny.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I drink Russian vodka, Highlands single malts, and I served with honor.

And sometimes I get queasy on big escalators.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Someone who will fight a war declared on them, and not call it holy but righteous.

Someone who embraces the variety of backgrounds of other peaceful citizens who make up the population.

Someone who fights for the inalienable rights of all peaceful peoples, irrespective of one's personal opinions and choices, to pursue happiness in life.

That should be everyone. Not just Americans.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I count myself as an Earthling.
America is just a nice piece of land.
Borders are where conflicting tribes got tired of fighting.

This. Considering no one's been able to quantify what "American" means beyond a resident of the American continents shows this comment in particular to be more true than most are ever going to be willing to admit.

And to the dude who thinks agreement with a few lines from the Pledge makes you American, I guess the profoundly mentally disabled are un-American traitors, since they're unable to comprehend the meaning or significance of the allegiance in the first place.
If agreement/understanding is your qualification for being American, you can therefore assume that some people are born traitors by default due to mental limitations. I mean, you did just put your stipulation right there in black & white, and made no bones about it -- full allegiance, or traitor. Nothing was said about who gets a pass on that.
I'm not completely nitpicking (eh, yeah, maybe I am, but it's glaring) but just admit you're relying on flawed broad-brushing & be done with it.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Maybe we need a new term to identify those that adhere to liberties and freedoms.
Because there are people all over the world who want that.
there are also plenty of "Americans" who don't.

In my opinion the term exists.

It is patriot.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

actually, he said,

If someone's allegiances aren't to the United States and they pledge said allegiances to another nation

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The day is coming ... and right soon.

It's more certain than the frikkin' Mayan Calendar.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Maybe we need a new term to identify those that adhere to liberties and freedoms.

It is patriot.

"Patriot" also carries so many negative connotations.

But you make a good point.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Indeed, but imo, it was the Declaration of Independence that specified the 'unalienable rights' which says has been given to all human beings by their Creator, and for which governments are created to protect.

This document is a guidepost for the general conduct of all people, it was born out of a fight for independence and a belief in individual happiness free of government tyranny and oppression.

This is the history of how America came to be and so establishes what makes an American, an American - in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I agree, should be all of us as humans not just one country.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Where did we go so wrong?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Indeed, but imo, it was the Declaration of Independence that specified the 'unalienable rights' which says has been given to all human beings by their Creator, and for which governments are created to protect.

This document is a guidepost for the general conduct of all people, it was born out of a fight for independence and a belief in individual happiness free of government tyranny and oppression.

This is the history of how America came to be and so establishes what makes an American, an American - in my opinion.

You do make a good point.

But even the elite of Americans oppress others,,ie, underground black markets selling things to other nations plus secret black projects they don't tell you about just hear say etc or explained as UFO's,Area 51 Nevada and every big business from one end to the other.

I'm sure that's not in the bill of rights/Declaration of independents? or am i wrong?
edit on 22-6-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

It is patriot.

You are absolutely correct. It is unfortunate that with so many words folks have twisted their (certain words) definitions and used them to further their own agendas on both sides.

I prefer THESE descriptions.
1. a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

2.a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

I believe this was the intention of the founders of our country.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I count myself as an Earthling.
America is just a nice piece of land.
Borders are where conflicting tribes got tired of fighting.

I am an American first.

Our Government is bad enough I don't want some a-hole in Brussels telling me what to do as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It is patriot.

You are absolutely correct. It is unfortunate that with so many words folks have twisted their (certain words) definitions and used them to further their own agendas on both sides.

I prefer THESE descriptions.
1. a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

2.a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

I believe this was the intention of the founders of our country.

Well said.

I am a strong believer of individual rights.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Being honest I'd move to America right now if i didn't have so many ties here in Scotland.

You guys have so many cool places to go and experience.

On the other hand it's the same all over the world,,but would move to America or is that a bad future plan?

I've got the money and resources to live a convertible life just couldn't leave my family behind.
edit on 22-6-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

I was thinking of moving to Scotland if I weren't so close to retirement!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join