It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Falls 1 Vote Short of Giving FBI Access to Browser Histories Without Court Order

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The U.S. Senate came very close to sneaking in language into a Bill that would have "allowed" the FBI to just get YOUR browsing history without a court order !!!

This was dangerously close to becoming real folks.

One of these days it will be real unless we the Citizens put a stop to the insanity.

Some Republicans in favor are using the terrorist threats as fuel.

Senate Falls 1 Vote Short of Giving FBI Access to Browser Histories Without Court Order

Privacy-minded senators on Wednesday blocked an amendment that would give the FBI power to take internet records, including browser histories and email metadata, without a court order. But the victory may be fleeting.

Just one vote kept the measure from clearing a 60-vote procedural hurdle, and political arm-twisting may soon result in a second vote. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., switched his vote to "no" to allow reconsideration in the near future. That made the final tally 58-38, with four senators not voting.

Critics of the proposed expansion of the FBI's ability to demand records with national security letters, or NSLs, are urging opponents to flood their senators with calls. There were some unexpected "yes" votes, such as Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, who they hope to flip as some of the four senators who did not vote are viewed as tougher sells.

edit on Jun-22-2016 by xuenchen because: 007

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is exactly the kind of thing Trump wants to impose.
You know, to catch bad guys and stuff...

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I saw this earlier.

THIS right along with NO FlY, NO BUY.

We are in dangerous waters, and the sharks are circling.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Trump isn't running for Congress.

But.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Why in the hell do we even have a Constitution and Bill of rights?

I mean, seriously. The government doesn't pay attention to them.

We're heading towards full retard.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
WTF has happened to this Country?

Why cant some unfortunate natural disaster happen at the capital during one of these votes?

A meteor maybe? It could even just look like a meteor......

Who TF do these people think they are? I am not usually for violence, but I am # sick of this BS.

EVERY DAY you read about some other law or restriction THEY want to impose on US.

# Them.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

But- Executive Order

and, He really wants to impose a total police state, but

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Hillary likes this too I know.

Big trouble coming.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I wonder if that was a typo or something. Do they mean to say "BROWSING" or "BROWSER" history? Because those are different things. They could get browsing history from your ISP. They'd have to do a lot more to get your BROWSER history.

Now of course I reckon this is really a pointless debate. It would be silly to assume they can't already get whatever they want from your ISP. So really. For all practical purposes, you should watch what you do online. Assume they are already watching.

I know it's the principle of the thing and I know it will lead to other things (thought policing, for example. And many other things). But at this point you're not going to get people to care. Obama was elected with this issue being one of the things that people were tired of. It just got worse under Obama because that's how they work. They all play for the same team but they wear different uniforms. You get (essentially) the same policies no matter who you vote for.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

This is exactly the kind of thing Trump wants to impose.
You know, to catch bad guys and stuff...

I think you spelled Clinton wrong.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I have basically adopted your attitude. I cant recall ever viewing anything illegal on my computer. I have watched videos of some very illegal crimes on places like LiveLeak, but not actually visited anything illegal that would not be protected by the 1st amendment.

It would still be #ty though because it means cant they just show up on your door and demand your computer for inspection of your browser history??

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why in the hell do we even have a Constitution and Bill of rights?

I mean, seriously. The government doesn't pay attention to them.

We're heading towards full retard.

I'm guessing you haven't been on twitter. We're already there, buddy.
edit on 22-6-2016 by GodEmperor because: grammar

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

I have basically adopted your attitude. I cant recall ever viewing anything illegal on my computer.

Well, I think the real concern is the kind of thing you see in Minority Report where things have gotten to the point to where they've got AI algorithms trying to predict crimes and arresting people for things they haven't even done. That's probably a ways off but it's also a legitimate concern.

Also I would be concerned with things that are not illegal YET. You have to remember the law is always changing. For example, in 2007, it wasn't against the law to be alive without health insurance in the US. Who knows what kinds of backwards laws they're going to pass? Your computer history is basically everything they need to "catch you" doing ANYTHING they don't want you doing. Whether it's something serious or something as silly as having a history of being a Pepsi addict (after they ban Pepsi to protect the public from unhealthy people).

(Yeah. I know that sounds dumb but I wouldn't put it past them)

It would still be #ty though because it means cant they just show up on your door and demand your computer for inspection of your browser history??

Again, I don't think that's what they mean. It's very easy to clear your browser history because it's stored locally on your machine. But all that really does is protects you from nosy friends and relatives looking through your history. The authorities could get everything they need from your ISP if they really want it that badly. The only thing possibly standing in their way would be some kind of encryption. Some ISPs might demand a warrant but I have my doubts about whether or not they actually would risk causing an incident if the FBI was asking for information.

They wouldn't bother coming to inspect your computer if they could see everything you do through your ISP without your knowledge.
edit on 22-6-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

I don't do twitter.

Probably a good thing. Unlike ISIS, I'd probably be banned.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sounds like it is time for a slew of recall elections on every single person who voted yes.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
originally posted by: AmericanRealist

(after they ban Pepsi to protect the public from unhealthy people).

Dont you EVER mention that line again, EVER! Perish the thought!!

Yea I figure ISP's just give them a master key to whatever they want. But putting it into writing makes it that much worse.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You think they do not have access to our browser history already? Give me a break. If google has access. The government sure as # does.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

But- Executive Order

and, He really wants to impose a total police state, but

No , that would be our current Commander in Chief. You got em mixed up there a bit.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
Sounds like it is time for a slew of recall elections on every single person who voted yes.

Every elected official would need to be recalled, because they've all violated the public trust at one point or another. Those are the kind of people Americans apparently like. We vote them in, vote them out...and then, vote in someone else just like the ones we voted out. Same as: Eat..vomit..lap it up...vomit... eat it again.

posted on Jun, 23 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Some Republicans in favor are using the terrorist threats as fuel.

46 voted yea. 7 voted nay.
If some used the terrorist threat as fuel, what did the rest use?
www.govtrack.us...

edit on 6/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join