It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good one China..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If we all could cooperate in a more positive way we may survive..

New China Space Station to be shared..

China is launching a rival to the International Space Station (ISS) – and it wants to share its new toy. The China Manned Space Agency and the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) have announced a partnership that will let UN member states conduct experiments on and even send astronauts to the Chinese space station, due to start operating in the 2020s. The UN and China say they are keen to get more nations involved in space activities. “This is an exciting opportunity to further build the space capacity of developing countries and increase understanding of the benefits space can bring to humankind,” said UNOOSA director Simonetta Di Pippo. China is excluded from the ISS because of a US government ban on its participation. It’s not clear if the other ISS partners – Russia, Japan, Canada and the member countries of the European Space Agency – will have access to China’s station. Later this year China will launch space lab Tiangong-2 to practise the skills needed to build the station. This article appeared in print under the headline “Timeshare in space”

www.newscientist.com... bpush&cmpid=ILC%257CNSNS%257C2016-GLOBAL-webpush-chinastation

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

I say good on them

Though hope its not the same poor quality as my chinese 3d printer

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I say good on them

Though hope its not the same poor quality as my chinese 3d printer

Funny.. but then again, if you flip USA over there would be a writing "made in China" or "owned by China"

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the article is slightly misleading.

China was never a partner in the ISS, so their participation was never guaranteed. The fact that the US has developed legal barriers that disallow collaboration with China is secondary.

Regardless, the Chinese station is far smaller than ISS, but a good start for them. The politics may state that everyone is invited, but one wonders whether this will be the reality.

The really interesting thing will be what the ISS is replaced with. This may be NASA, ESA, JAXA and some others collaborating to produce something that acts as the bridge to the rest of the solar system. That'll be something.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Bravo on them. Let this be the beginning of a new era of cooperation where politics can take a back seat to science and exploration of space for the weaponization benefit to humanity.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I believe they were blocked because of concerns over technology that they wanted kept out of Chinese hands. NASA has had an exclusion policy towards working with China for years now.

The Chinese space program is put together from "borrowed" US and Russian space programs.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: paraphi

The Chinese space program is put together from "borrowed" US and Russian space programs.

Cheap knock offs you mean

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I think the article is slightly misleading.
The really interesting thing will be what the ISS is replaced with. This may be NASA, ESA, JAXA and some others collaborating to produce something that acts as the bridge to the rest of the solar system. That'll be something.

There's a Russian space station in the works, if I remember correctly. Apart from the USA, Russia has the best experience in constructing a large space station. Their Salyut-1 was the first space station of any kind ever, there was the Mir, and even the ISS began with two core Russian modules.

new topics

top topics

join