It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First CRISPR Human Clinical Trial Gets a Green Light from the U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Scientific American

On June 21, an advisory committee at the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) approved a proposal to use CRISPR–Cas9 to help augment cancer therapies that rely on enlisting a patient’s T cells, a type of immune cell.

This is very exciting news, I love that the pace of research and trial has accelerated so much. I pray that it gets even faster, moving CRISPR to human trials should do that.

While it's highly likely that cancer will never be cured, it doesn't have to remain a horrendous, too often deadly disease. Treatment also doesn't have to remain horrific though it has gotten better.

The goal of this first trial is to see whether it is safe for use with people who have cancer.

This first trial is small and designed to test whether CRISPR is safe for use in people, rather than whether it cures cancer or not. It will be funded by a US$250-million immunotherapy foundation formed in April by former Facebook president Sean Parker. The trial itself does not yet have a budget. The University of Pennsylvania will manufacture the edited cells, and will recruit and treat patients alongside centres in California and Texas.

The reason people die from cancer even with the best medical care is that one, cancer is an adaptive asshole and becomes immune to chemo and two, the human body can only withstand so much chemotherapy before your kidneys and liver just shut down as well as too much radiation building up in your bone marrow or causing scar tissue buildup that will interrupt organ function the same as a tumor would.

I know that people have reservations about gene editing and fear that this is a step toward eugenics. But there's other types of fear too like the fear of dying and leaving your child motherless.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Nice find! Exciting news indeed.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with Eugenics.
Until it becomes about a "Master Race".

Cancerless human society is a beneficial practice.

Prayers that this ends well.

Edit: forgot to say F# Cancer.
I feel better now.
edit on 22-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Noted.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Good news.

I'm also keeping an eye on the research being done on using a malaria protein to treat cancer, but it looks like it'll be a a few years longer before they start human trials with that one.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Yes F# cancer!

I don't think there will ever be a cure but I think it can become manageable like diabetes. That seems to be what researchers and doctors think too.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

I don't think I've heard of that one I'll have to look it up.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I have a client at work who is already getting T cell therapy. It has done miracles for that man, and if they can make it even better, consider me absolutely impressed.

top topics

join