It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Republicans suspended by UC Irvine after hosting Milo

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The University of California's "College Republicans" group hosted the controversial figure Milo Yiannopoulis a few weeks ago.

So soon afterwards, the University decides to suspend the group for 1 year.

The "reason" given was the group failed to provide proof of insurance for hired private security guards at the event.

Sounds more like some kind of retaliation and petty nit-picking to me.

Never a dull moment in the state sponsored higher education system.

College Republicans suspended by UC Irvine after hosting Milo

The University of California, Irvine has suspended its College Republicans chapter for an entire year after the group hosted controversial conservative pundit Milo Yiannopoulos.

Breitbart News reports that a UCI administrator recently requested to meet with leaders of the CRs, during which CR President Ariana Rowlands suggested the possibility of bringing Yiannopoulos back to campus.

Just four hours after the meeting, the group received an email stating that it had been suspended for an entire year.

Petty Jealousy ?

edit on Jun-21-2016 by xuenchen because: #milo

(post by thinline removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Smells like another school is about to lose a lawsuit.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Perhaps it's time to visit the whole higher education system.

To wit, scrap it. Let specialized training be paid for by the field they intend to enter. Those that want a more traditional education can go to community colleges or private institutions...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Wow...UCI is homophobic!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Here's a clip from Milo's UC Irvine event that caused an uproar on social media. The truth hurts, and I guess if you can't win the argument, silence the opposition.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Ah yes, I remember it well, I'm not sure if it was Milos phallic drink bottle or the after-party protests that were the stand out.

But here's a question - why did the University allow Milo to conduct his speech if they were not satisfied with the administrative technicalities needed to meet the Universities criteria? Did they not exercise due diligence towards their own policies of reviewing applications before issuing their approval?

The administration claims that the group failed to provide proof of insurance for the extra security required for the event, even though they had hosted David Horowitz under similar circumstances previously without having to do so.

Precedence is a powerful tool and should not be ignored when handing out sentences, imo, this administrative oversight should be subjected to a monetary fine more so than a 1-year suspension of privileges.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I don't know why everyone is surprised.

Of course those that think differently would be punished.

To think any differently would be crazy talk!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This is the nature of the left.

Use the IRS to target groups that don't agree with you.

Make the victim into the criminal.

Find a bs excuse to ban a political party that doesn't share your views.

(remember, the school made them pay for a security detail of campus officers that refused to intervene )

Disgusting.

Tenure needs to be re-examined.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The Admin point of view is Calif Liability Insurance law from 20 years ago needs to be accounted for during public events...and guards need to be bonded too.

From a common sense view...GO Milo!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

So the "College Republicans" group invites a highly controversial, highly charged speaker and fails to get the proper insurance that the university requires. Then, SURPRISE!.. this happens:

About 400 supporters of a controversial conservative celebrity who came to campus to speak Thursday evening verbally clashed with about 50 student protesters.
www.ocregister.com...

This same guy's talk was halted on the UCLA campus because of a bomb threat. Not too smart University of California's "College Republicans" group!

And now they're whining about being suspended? Oh the humanity!

Special snowflakes...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
On a side note... Milo announced today on The Rubin Report that next month he will be going to Sweden to lead a gay pride march through the Muslim ghettos in Malmo. Honestly I hope he has proper security, I don't want to see him become a martyr.

edit on 21-6-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You didn't read both sides did you.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So the leftists now can cause riots and disruptions and infringe on free assembly, then blame the person speaking (or the hosts) for causing it.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
What do you expect from the University that gave Hillary almost 500k. link

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I read your link, then I did a little research of my own.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
So much for freedom of speech. Just another example of the bias that is not just tolerated by our universities, but encouraged. Milo is single handedly exposing the hypocrisy of the so called tolerance that the left claims as their exemplified quality.

I hope these kids fight this outright attack on their interests.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yep, that's pretty much what happened at DePaul U in Chicago.

Security got caught between a rock and hard place when they couldn't decide whether to protect a homosexual being threatened with violence, or be called racists for trying to remove a disruptive minority. They just froze like a deer in headlights.

But the Dangerous # will not be silenced.

edit on 21-6-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

College Republicans

Isnt that an extinct group ? As it was outlawed during the Obama administration years ago . Good to know some of our young people still see the truth.
Satire , or is it ?

edit on 6/21/16 by Gothmog because: change verbage

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Right after the Orlando shooting Milo's twitter account was banned for criticizing Islam, until Drudge and other networks starting covering it and they were forced to backpedal.

Apparently this was the result of a call to action from an Arabic twitter user with 1.2 million followers and ties to ISIS.

Twitter has no problem with ISIS accounts calling for the death of infidels and posting anti-gay, anti-women jihadist rhetoric, but then ban people for calling them out on it.

edit on 22-6-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join