It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama ‘Profoundly Frustrated’ — Ready For More Executive Action On Gun Control

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
NOT going to comment on Obama making yet another dictator style authoritarian move, but...

Here is something on the subject for everyone to consider, a great analogy to highlight how we in other countries think.

If you see a kid in a playground with a stick beating another kid over the head with it, do you

A) Give the kid being beaten up and all the other kids in the playground sticks so they can beat the crap out of the naughty kid

OR

B) Take the stick away from the first kid, send him to detention and let the other kids keep playing their games?

It really is that simple of a choice to make. But the people need to understand and support it.

Giving people more guns is like putting petrol on a fire so it will go out quicker instead of using a fire extinguisher.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

So you want a total nanny state?

Are we not adults?

Btw,

My kid would take the stick away from the bully and beat him with it.
edit on 21-6-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Immediately the problem is that you have an incomplete analogy with an incomplete list of answers.

The naughty kids will find sticks outside school and find where you live and beat you.

The good kids will not be able to tell on them at school because it didn't happen there.

But as for your scenario, option C is that you give all the good kids bigger sticks and ask the bad kids how they feel being bullied and overcome.

The bad kids will put down their sticks, if they're smart.

Yes, I know school isn't run that way these days, but since school wants a piece of my children's social pie, I wish they'd do this... Especially if my child is the offender. Make my child honest if he ain't already, if that's your intent.

I have a motto around the house for my three boys: "I don't negotiate with terrorists".

Best way to get them to make their cases plainly.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

So you want a total nanny state?

Are we not adults?

Btw,

My kid would take the stick away from the bully and beat him with it.

The other question is do you make the stick the issue or the kid.

Do you take away all the kids sticks even though most of them are not missing using them. Or need them for the loose dogs on the way home.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

double
edit on 21-6-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Breitbart. Just no.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Breitbart. Just no.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: TarzanBeta

It's not always about taking rights away. Sometimes it's just about common sense. I live in a State that allows guns in bars and restaurants. I was always taught that guns and alcohol don't mix, and yet, apparently I'm in the minority on that.

Allowing suspected terrorists to buy guns is stupid. It's also stupid to put random people on govt watchlists without letting them know why or letting them fight the charge before being placed on it. I think the solution is somewhere in the middle.

I can't disagree with a word here. I am curious what's in the middle for you?

Contrary to the people who're making assumptions w/my posts, I believe in gun ownership. I especially believe in guns to protect the house and family. And I even actively preach that women should learn all forms of self defense, including shooting. Both of my parents have had their houses broken into. A gun and threats to kill the intruder(s) are the only things that stopped my Mom's house from being broken into a 2nd time.

As for my middle ground, I'm not completely sure yet. As a Muslim American, I've seen firsthand how ridiculous these watchlists are. We've had immigrant friends and community members go on trips to see family overseas, only to have their visas pulled mid-trip. Almost every time I've flown, I've been pulled aside and had to do separate "random" security checks (even though I've never been arrested in my life). And other Muslims have been placed on "no fly lists" while already overseas. This is extra ridiculous because many other countries use the US' watchlists at their airports, which can leave you stranded. And even stupider, being on a "no fly list" doesn't stop you from entering the country; you simply can't fly in.

Needless to say, I don't trust those lists. And I've had cops called on me for simple crap like walking w/my Mom at a park. So I don't trust the suspicions of other citizens, either. So I'd really be pissed if I couldn't legally buy a gun just because of that. However something has to be done, even if it's intense mental health evaluations before allowing a purchase.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Actually, I was reading past the OP and thought that you were making sense.

Using Breitbart as a source is like using Infowars, PrisonPlanet, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, The National Enquirer, Fox News, World Net Daily, etc. All right-wing sensationalism.

Try some other sources.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Your avatar fits you.

Kind of reminds me when the pope refused to even look through the telescope Galileo proffered for him to view Jupiter and it's satellites.

Just because you refuse to look, doesn't mean that there aren't underhanded actions afoot by the executive branch.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why doesn’t Obama just come out and say the obvious.

Give a speech to the American people and tell them that the only way to get a sane gun policy in America is to vote out the GOP

Make the next election a referendum on this issue and others

that’s the democratic way

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas
I know you probably thought I was joking, but I wasn't. I'll have to ask one of my brother's about the details for our state. He's a rabid gun nut gun enthusiast.

Wait a second, wait a second, the point I was making was about American gangs and crime rings having and using those weapons. The process you listed actually helps my argument because it shows that there are highly detailed controls on who can buy them and their rounds. That's literally "arms control". And remember, my exact words were:

they don't have them because our arms control laws have eliminated that threat.

So ha! LOL (I was grumpy earlier today but the fasting has me a bit loopy now.)

link   

Breitbart. Just no.

The White House spokesman made the statements.

Do you have reasons to think they are lying?

edit on Jun-21-2016 by xuenchen because: official obama

link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Brother, help me.

I am on board with everything you're saying. Help me to understand how we can ensure the freedoms afforded to you by the Constitution and also fight our enemy, which includes the government's poor administrative response to our problems.

If you are as serious as you seem to be, consider my perspective.

Do you know what the Alien Sedition Act is? How about what we did with the Japanese during World War II? If so, why is that line of thinking wrong at this moment. Also, what can we do to protect your rights while fighting off an enemy which to most Americans, whether ignorant or not, appears to believe as you do?

Thanks brother.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I have reasons to dismiss Breitbart as a primary source.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Actually, I was reading past the OP and thought that you were making sense.

Using Breitbart as a source is like using Infowars, PrisonPlanet, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, The National Enquirer, Fox News, World Net Daily, etc. All right-wing sensationalism.

Try some other sources.

Lol. I was merely picking on you. Sorry, bad form I suppose.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Gee I don't know.

1 check GUN VIOLENCE.
2.Check No FLY,No BUY.
3 Check.
4. Check.
5 .Check.
6. Check.
7. Check.
8. Check.
9. Check.
10. CHECK.
11. CHECK.

But WHO CARES!.

This post and the previous post have nothing to do with each other, either. The things you just typed aren't on the list. Also, I'm not against gun ownership. But I am against mentally unstable people having guns. And I definitely want the shootings and killings to stop. So what does that have to do with fascism, assuming you even know what that is?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Kind of reminds me when the pope refused to even look through the telescope Galileo proffered for him to view Jupiter and it's satellites.

Just because you refuse to look, doesn't mean that there aren't underhanded actions afoot by the executive branch.

I have no doubt that sinister goings-on are occurring. My avatar reflects my horror at what I see.
If you'll notice, my fingers are not clamped shut.

If you'll do some research, you'll see what I think of the government and of religion.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I have reasons to dismiss Breitbart as a primary source.

Do you think the WH is lying for any particular reason(s) ?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

When you disarm the public and criminals still shoot people (only at an increased rate) who do you intend to blame?

Just curious what the answer is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join