It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three arrested at Holland Tunnel with cache of weapons on way to New York

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Pretty sure it doesnt matter if those items were legal in NJ or NY. There is such a thing as transportation laws concerning firearms and if one is simply passing through a state and at no time stopping in that state as a tourist then it is perfectly legal as long as the firearms are stored safely. As long as you can legally own that item in your home state or where its registered and as long as where your destination is you can as well and provided they are stored safely. And a magazine is not and never will be a firearm, as long as the two are separate from each other then should be fine as well..... Thumbs down for a bunch of people who are steering this non event into something its not.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Regardless if the window was cracked or not after the recent SCOTUS ruling it doesn't really matter.

You would think the SCOTUS would know this...

After an arrest, officers have the right to protect themselves by searching for weapons and to protect the legal case against the suspect by searching for evidence that the suspect might try to destroy. Assuming that the officer has probable cause to make the arrest in the first place, a search of the person and the person’s surroundings following the arrest is generally valid, and any evidence uncovered is typically admissible at trial.

www.nolo.com...

Had the officer found the drugs on the man prior to arrest then it would be illegal, but if it happened after the arrest there is nothing illegal about it.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Pretty sure it doesnt matter if those items were legal in NJ or NY.

They have to comply with certain New Jersey statutes such as:

E. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
F. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
G. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
Source

Which I think they did not comply with.

edit on 21-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I wonder if they were pulled over just because they were advertising a shooting range.
LEO probably knew they would likely have weapons.
And hey - this gives them a chance to say they found weapons in a vehicle near the tunnel, then they get to plaster pics of those weapons all over the news.
Can't pass up a chance to get people all riled up to ban guns.

Seriously, this story should never have made it to MSM.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Which is why I said as long as firearm is secured seperate from ammo. From what i gathered from the article and comments was the officer saw a magazine on the seat, which in and of itself is not illegal. Dumb but not illegal and in my mind enough for a search, as long as they werent headed to NYC as a final destination

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

It is very much illegal in New Jersey. See article 'F' above.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Pretty sure it doesnt matter if those items were legal in NJ or NY. There is such a thing as transportation laws concerning firearms and if one is simply passing through a state and at no time stopping in that state as a tourist then it is perfectly legal as long as the firearms are stored safely. As long as you can legally own that item in your home state or where its registered and as long as where your destination is you can as well and provided they are stored safely. And a magazine is not and never will be a firearm, as long as the two are separate from each other then should be fine as well..... Thumbs down for a bunch of people who are steering this non event into something its not.

NEW JERSEY—New Jersey has highly restrictive firearms laws. The New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled that anyone traveling within the state is deemed to be aware of these regulations and will be held strictly accountable for violations. Revell v. Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, 10-236 From New Jersey State Police regarding transporting firearms through the state: www.state.nj.us...

NEW YORK—Use extreme caution when traveling through New York with firearms. New York state’s general approach is to make the possession of handguns and so-called “assault weapons” and “large capacity ammunition feeding devices” illegal and then provide exceptions that the accused may raise as “affirmative defenses” to prosecution in some cases. NY Penal Code s. 265.20(12), (13) & (16). [Source]

Like I said...too tricky...too conflicting...I just leave mine home in GA.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Guess we wont know until we know if the magazines were loaded or not, cant remember seeing that mentioned.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If that is what they consider a cache then I must own an armory.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Guess we wont know until we know if the magazines were loaded or not, cant remember seeing that mentioned.

In the photo it appears that several are loaded.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Amen to that, a little app called legal heat comes in handy though if you never heard of it. We shouldnt have to disarm ourselfs just because of some nazi northern states though. I can go from Fla to Pa without losing my right to carry, pass into NY and if I stop for anything other than gas and I risk arrest. I just bury mine along the interstate in PA then pick up on way out of state lmao... Or drop off at Gander Mtn for a good cleaning while on way to Ny.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Forgot about photo and wasnt clear if the one in question on the seat was one that was loaded or not? Good catch though

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Not sure, but either way, they should have secured all of that in a lockbox or in the trunk area.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not sure, but either way, they should have secured all of that in a lockbox or in the trunk area.

Not everyone is bright, lol. Agreed. Err on the side of caution and over do it if anything.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

New Jersey is really strict. I recall a PA mother who was arrested and was going to go to jail for years. Just because she drove into NJ with a handgun. She had a license in PA.

Here it is:
articles.philly.com...

Yep, NJ wanted to send her to jail for years to make an "example" of her. But luckily Christie pardoned her.
She had the weapon and permit for self defense after her apartment in PA was robbed twice.

(ETA: The scary thing is - it is really, really easy to accidentally cross from PA into NJ.)

I like Trump's plan to make laws consistent across state lines. He used the example that a drivers' license, which is considered a privilege, is recognized in every state. But legal, licensed guns for self defense, which is a constitutional right, can get you arrested if you cross many state lines.
edit on 6/21/16 by BlueAjah because: eta

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

She was not going to go to jail. She was going to lose her handgun and do community service but Christy rightly pardoned her from that for what appeared to be an honest mistake.

edit on 21-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Which is why people need to be demanding that exact thing, and if they cannot agree on that then at least a gun check in at the state line where you can get your gun back upon leaving kind of like the west towns back in the days. Something the NRA should have fought for a long time ago which is one of the reasons I find that organization useless...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

The lighter sentence was what the lawyer wanted, but the prosecutor felt otherwise:

The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office originally denied the woman an opportunity to enter the diversionary program, indicating it wanted to use the case as a deterrent for people bringing guns not registered in New Jersey into the state.

And even with the lighter deal - WHY should she have to give up her handgun? She got it to defend herself and her children.
edit on 6/21/16 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

'Originally wanted' and then agreed to let her give up her handgun and do community service which was then rendered null by the pardon.

Believe me, I followed this case closely.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Not everyone is bright, lol. Agreed. Err on the side of caution and over do it if anything.

Then issue for them is the New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled that ignorance of our firearms laws is not an acceptable excuse. We are super-stringent here since everyone is a mamby-pamby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join