It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society is forced to be accepting of gays & transgenders.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I imagination it must be absolutely horrible for so many of you poor hard-done-by folks.

Being forced to accept black people as human beings instead of chattel.

Being forced to accept women as human beings instead of chattel.

Being forced to accept the Irish as human beings.

Being forced to accept liberals as human beings.

And after all those traumatic experiences you've had to endure...

Now you're being forced to accept gays as human beings too ?!!

My gawd, where does the insanity stop ?!

This modern-world progress thing.... what a nightmare !

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I imagination it must be absolutely horrible for so many of you poor hard-done-by folks.

Someone get this heterosexual white female a safe zone!

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Just saying
Never in hate, Always in debate.
Not wanting to offend anyone, truly, but
"Forced to be accepting of Religion" has been the way for about half our populous for centuries.
From my view here in tiny Scotland, it is so obvious the MSM, want this to be debated.
This thread (Just hypothesizing OP) the OP could be a Government plant.
Probably pretty obvious the OP is not in this case to be fair.
But it is a big debate right now. And most of the World is thinking "What are you talking about this for"? In an almost passive flippant comment about this. The only story in this story, in my humble opinion, is why is there even a debate about it? Pointless chit chats to maybe make people hate. Just ask 1.6 Billion Muslims what it's like to be tagged. What next? We tag the homeless? Poor? African America...oh, too late.
Sorry, but just being honest, in my Culture, and it expands by nations borers, (Not the OP) this debate is just nonsense

Sorry

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: celinem
okay, lets get one thing straight here.. My good friend of nearly 10 years is a lesbian and it's not an issue for me.
My problem is all of the hate people receive when they do not agree on the matter. I understand that everyone should be accepted no matter what but I don't appreciate that 'community' bashing others who have a different opinion about the matter. Savvy? a reply to: 3danimator2014

Had you said this in your OP celinem, I think the debate would have went another way
#Peace

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

Someone get this heterosexual white female a safe zone!

Heterosexual white people aren't allowed in safe zones so she's SOL

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I am going to say transgender and gays are not in the same category, gays make a choice of morality, but mentally most of them are highly intelligent and emotionally stable.
What has me really concerned about what the OP speaks to, is with people forcing other people to accept an unhealthy mental and emotional condition, forcing society under the guise of political correctnesses running off the rails to enable these people...then they commit suicide and we say we did all we could for them supporting them to the max.

And don't me give this is the same as blacks & women in years gone by, it is not, with gays maybe you have case with them, fair enough. But transgender is new category, for countless eons any man that really wanted to have his "stuff" chopped off was considered not normal, suddenly in the last 18 months not only is it normal, but "everybody" needs to support it or they are bigot/prejudice/ignorant.

edit on 22-6-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: celinem

I can't be racist I have a black friend

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: celinem
So I'm aware that I am going to receive A LOT of hate for this thread but i feel that there are others that will agree with me on this subject.

We are basically forced to be 'ok' with the idea of gay marriage, transgender people and anyone who we don't consider 'normal'.

Let me say straight up - I DON'T GIVE A # WHAT YOUR SEXUAL ORIENTATION OR 'GENDER' IS!!!! I don't care if you're heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual or whatever..

What really grinds my gears is that we are hounded if we do not support them..

Does anyone else agree that its complete and utter bull# that we are put down if we don't support all of the above? Am i the only one that feels pressured into supporting these people?

Opinions?

You don't have to support them. But you don't have to publicly fight against them either. If you want to sit in your little Amit-lgbt circles and curse the lgbt community, no one cares. However when you actively support denying them their due rights as Americans and actively speak hate against them, then that is plain wrong and not necessary.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
...suddenly in the last 18 months not only is it normal, but "everybody" needs to support it or they are bigot/prejudice/ignorant...

You're obviously ignorant to the topic if you think trans individuals just started happening 18 months ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Of course you should accept them, the only reason it is a thing is because of your programming at some point said it's a had thing. It really isn't. Look at people like people with needs.
Real simple stuff. If you feel like you are being forced, then deep down you don't really accept it.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Now you're just pushing it!!!
They are leprechauns!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Many years ago; people who were gay/lesbian was thought to have a mental condition and not normal. Now, people who do not support them are thought to have a mental condition and not normal. Welcome to society my friends, were Western society prevails through cultural power.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Now you're just pushing it!!!
They are leprechauns!

Heresy !
Bigot !

Irish are people too !

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

You're obviously ignorant to the topic if you think trans individuals just started happening 18 months ago.

No I am talking about the agenda to push it, what has been posted on ATS is an example of this.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

"I don't care if you are gay"

*Seinfeld voice* "
"What's the deal with gays?"

hmmm.....I think you do have a problem with them.
edit on 22/6/2016 by AboveDogSecret because: nah

edit on 22/6/2016 by AboveDogSecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: DeadFoot

No I am talking about the agenda to push it, what has been posted on ATS is an example of this.

Wrong.

The city council in 2014 passed the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO), which would have prohibited discrimination in the workplace, housing, and public accommodations (restaurants, hotels, and other places that serve the public) against people based on a variety of traits, particularly sexual orientation and gender identity. The local ordinance was meant to fill a gap in Texas's — and most states' — laws: LGBTQ people aren't currently included in nondiscrimination statutes.

But conservative opponents, who argue that businesses should be able to discriminate against LGBTQ people who violate their religious values, managed to get a referendum on HERO on the November 2015 ballot after lengthy legal battles.

The referendum against HERO, at first, seemed to have no chance of success. Polls consistently found HERO surviving the challenge, such as one survey taken weeks before the election that found HERO had plurality support — 45 percent of adults in Houston would vote for it, 36 percent against, and 20 percent were unsure.

Then conservatives began scaring people about bathrooms. They argued that HERO would let trans people use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity. Once that happens, they said, men will disguise themselves as trans women to sneak into women's bathrooms and sexually assault women. (This has never happened as a result of states' nondiscrimination laws. More on that later.)

The tactic worked: In November, voters rejected HERO, which once looked invincible in the polls. Conservatives managed to turn public opinion to oppose an LGBTQ nondiscrimination law by scaring people about bathrooms.

Source

Obviously you're having trouble spotting the agenda here.
edit on 22-6-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
If that's what you read, that's really your problem because I said no such thing, nor did I mean ANYTHING like what you suggest I meant.

Well, since you seem to have no other explanation of what you meant amongst the tirade there, I guess I am stuck with the only i nterpretation I can guess - that my opinion is what pro-LGBT activists are against, so it can only be anti-LGBT opinion.

Hassled??? You freely read something on Facebook and it "hassled" you? LOL! Find a safe space.
If they did, I wouldn't consider it to be "forcing" or "pressuring" anything on me, especially if I READ it!

If you don't want to hear it, stay away from Facebook, for Christ's sake! If someone says something you don't like, EVEN ABOUT YOU, blow it off! Or find a safe space. I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't ask you to tell me what I should do. I am not confused about what I should do.
YOU first used the word "hassled" in reference to the event I described, so I reused it.

When it is a family member, most people will feel more pressure than if it is a stranger. I don't know about you, but that side of my family tries to be pretty tight and supportive with each other. This wasn't singling me out either, it was directed towards a group of family members, of one is my sister, who is has brain damage, mental retardation, she is getting upset at the images being transmitted to her that she is guilty of horrible things!
Maybe you can't understand the impact upon someone like that, and if I copied and pasted her comments this morning, I'm afraid you would laugh because they would seem terribly dramatic and stupid. But for her, they are very real.

THe family this morning is now separating into camps, and the activists (who are always into some sort of activism, worrying about things on the other side of the planet while their own lives are neglected ) are painting the ones who ignored it as "part of the problem" and two people who tried to say gently, "it's not that I don't care, but I'm sort of caught up in my new job at the moment, and the child I just adopted..." -they're bad guys too.

This IS a silly drama, and I could leave my sister to get all upset and cry and screw up at her job because of it.

And ignore the family feud that grows, and the hostilities where two days ago, I was able to see pictures of their happy babies and know who just graduated, and who got married...

But I tell you, this tactic of manipulation always seems really nasty to me, and yes I can keep it out of MY life, but don't you get what I am saying? It influences how I feel towards those kinds of people.
Activists consider themselves a representatives for the group they champion- I am surprised they don't more often take that into account.

Maybe using shaming to gain new members is effective enough to overide the number who are turned off by that unethical behavior.

But in the bigger picture, creating conflcits, polarizing your community, that isn't good for anyone on either side.

I didn't ask you what I should do - you decided that was your role.

I described this to maybe help others who do this kind of thing to see that they could be using a self-sabotaging technique in their efforts. Simply telling people information that can make them more aware of problems and specific ways they could be changed, might have less of a turn off effect. It might gain more active supporters in the long run .
edit on 22-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Beware of identity politics, friend. Beware of those who measure themselves according the shade of their epidermis, who they're attracted to, or what group they feign to represent, and God forbid we do the same. These stereotypes are falsified with one instance proving the opposite.

Over time, the loudest tend to define what it means to be this or that, while the minorities within minorities get alienated. Identity politics makes these "communities" (a word that deserves quotation marks, because communities are the last things they are) eventually eat themselves from the inside.

In the real world—that means away from our screens—we should let the individual speak according to their own merits, and not let their affiliations and allegiances speak for them; or else we tend to reach nothing but assumptions.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScoobyWho

You don't have to support them. But you don't have to publicly fight against them either. If you want to sit in your little Amit-lgbt circles and curse the lgbt community, no one cares. However when you actively support denying them their due rights as Americans and actively speak hate against them, then that is plain wrong and not necessary.

Sorry, I'm going to use your post as an example. Because I am almost sure you are not even conscious purposefully doing this... I suspect that is often the case.
This is a perfect example of the false dichotomy manipulation which causes conflict, polarization, hostilities!
It is a passive aggressive covert manipulation.

So here is the two possibilies - either you are actively out supporting them with speech and action, or if you are not, you are sitting in little Anti- lgbt circles cursing their community (but that's okay, you have that right).

This passive aggressive manouver , that people learn to use without even being conscious they are, it is called conditioning,

What it does is provoke anger, and faced with the threat of social rejection, you hope they will turn it against your enemies, (and not YOU the person who provoked it).

You have painted a picture of reality in which there are only two possibilities, completely invalidating ones like just being someone who is NOT part of any anti-lgbt sentiment, has friends who are LGBT, but lives a normal life in which they spend their time talking about their plans for the house remodeling, the kids upcoming school play, the cost of oranges at the new market, and who will take care of great grandpa tonight.

The world , and people, are not black and white!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I know someone who experienced very similar, the kids are the losers, in their case it destroyed the kids who turned to drugs, confused and feeling your parents need for sex in any form comes before the love of the kids and giving them stability and a Family disgusts me how selfish we become!

There were a lot of kids of the X generation who grew up in that atmosphere (at least in So. Cal.)

In my mind, the problem wasn't even their sexual appetite, because it was clear they were also doing things they didn't feel so great about. But it was the social pressure of the time. Either you had a vibrator and a bong on the coffee table, or you were a racist conservative repressed square.

I watched all this roll out and I guess that is how I ended up a conspiracy theorist arguing against popular opinion on discussion forums....

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join