It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Society is forced to be accepting of gays & transgenders.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:06 AM
a reply to: celinem

There is a difference between acceptance and tolerance.

Most reasonable LGBTI (is that the latest correct acronym?) people just want tolerance, not outright acceptance. They don't want you to change your own views, beliefs or alter your feelings, they want you to tolerate that although they are different to you, they are still human beings worthy of respect and dignity.

I used to uphold views similar to yours and realised a few years back the errors of my ways.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:08 AM

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Bluesma

Someone who has sex with people of the same sex (even if they enjoy it) is not necessarily a homosexual. Someone with a homosexual orientation not only has sex, but they can have love and relationships that last a lifetime. It isn't just about sex, anymore than being a heterosexual is just about the sex.

I would say that your father enjoyed some kinky sex, but got tired of no love and no relationship. That's probably because he was a heterosexual who could only really love and have a long-standing relationship with someone of the opposite sex. That's not an "ex-gay".

Thanks. I think I got that. No, actually, my dad doesn't enjoy kinky sex (it really isn't normal that I know this much about my own parents...). But my mom felt they had to be "hip" and do what everyone else was doing, and what was being touted as the "enlightened" and superior lifestyle of "freelove". They were shamed if they didn't feel okay having sex with someone of the same sex, or within a group... they were told they were not caring and loving people if they didn't. So they went against what they personally were comfortable with, in order to be seen as "right and good" by the societies terms at that time.

I don't trust shamers.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:18 AM

You don't have to support it. You don't have to oppress it, either. Live and let live. As long as they're with consenting adults, it shouldn't matter to anyone.

The problem is that they've been denied a lot of rights and privileges because of their orientation (such as insurance & medical coverage on their loved one's plan, hospital visitation rights, inheritance rights, etc). That's why it's so important that they be treated equally in the eyes of society. There are probably a lot of other daily examples that I don't even know about.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:25 AM

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: celinem
First of all, thank you for not taking this thread the wrong way!!

The pressure society is under to be accepting is almost as bad as the hate the LGBQT community receives. frequently see videos of people not accepting LGBT being pushed off buildings by ISIS, or beaten up in Russia by thugs or mown to pieces in nightclubs in Orlando, or being beaten in the streets in the UK or being told they will burn in hell by pastors. Poor you

straight people have been beaten bloody for no reason by thugs, Isis would kill me and many others wether I'm straight or not, someone who is straight is getting beaten for no reason right now in UK, pastors think we're getting left behind to... they broadcast it too. Welcome to Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:31 AM
my cousin "like a brother" who's gay believes the Orlando hoax, i tried to tell him like all my other theorys but he just won't listen lol, I did get him to say "alright they might use actors in the news" but then he said "but that doesn't mean people didn't get shot" then proceeded to treat me crazy again haha its weird aswell cauz later that night I found out bradley manning is becoming a woman and all my cousin could say was "did he start treatment before"(military prison) & the answer is no, & then it's like "look at this David shayler guy aswell haha I think Bruce Jenner is connected into all this aswell assumably of course

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:48 AM

So I'm aware that I am going to receive A LOT of hate for this thread but i feel that there are others that will agree with me on this subject.

We are basically forced to be 'ok' with the idea of gay marriage, transgender people and anyone who we don't consider 'normal'.

What you're really saying is that you want to judge others without being judged yourself. Isn't that obvious?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 03:52 AM

I agree 100%

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:03 AM

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

but I don't appreciate that 'community' bashing others who have a different opinion about the matter.

Well, that is the nature of the proverbial beast. In this instance, online discussion forums. There are plenty of echo chambers out there that would be glad to listen to your opinions whilst offering no challenging opinions. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in such a community?

Try posting an abduction story or maybe go read some gangstalking threads. Those poor folks get community bashed right out the front doors.

Now isn't that sweet. Telling someone to goto another community and talk about something where they can be comfortable. While at the same time supporting an issue that states we must all change our view because they make a group uncomfortable.

Pot calling the kttle black

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:09 AM

originally posted by: stabstab

It is true that if you try to bring up the subject of rainbow equality and how far we should allow it to go with certain things like parades with half naked men and women in full view of peoples kids you can face some blow back from those with the mindset that anything goes in our day and age.

That is a little close for comfort for many folks I would imagine and I could see how they might feel almost "hounded" by the effects of letting the gays fly their flags openly and pervasively throughout all aspects of our society.

That's because it is NOT equall. You're only equall if you agree with them or slink off and don't raise a fuss.

Of course if you try to use YOUR rights of freedom of association or of religion. You are tagged, bagged and threatened into submission by these people that trout equality and freedom of expression.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 04:24 AM

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
What's the punishment these days for not accepting the gay or transgendered in America. I bet there isn't one, so tell me how you are forced to accept their lifestyle. I bet you can't

Depends on the place and person.

Losing you business and/or income has happened a number of times.
Being fired from your job has happened many times.

Because if you make any statement or action despairing a LBGT person in conection to a "work" issue, that can be grounds for a law suit or even criminal conplaint.

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:15 AM

Seems to me the key thing here is what's on the other side of the acceptance scale.

If it's exercising your precious first amendment right or taking pride in your political incorrectness or otherwise drawing attention to the fact that you're a non-acceptor, and you are you getting a response or reaction in return that you just don't like, does that then make you somehow feel forced or hounded?

edit on 6/22/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:37 AM
I accept or don't accept people because of the way they act towards me and not because of their sexuality, people who wish me no harm are fine with me and for those that do wish me harm I use my right to not accept them. The point being that I won't accept people just because its politicly correct to support them or because some body of people promote acceptance without understanding.

Me, I deal with people and hope they would treat me with the same decency as I will treat them...

So fair play to the OP for taking a difficult subject and handling it well, no one should have to put up with people trying to force their opinions / ideals on you, its rude and unwanted and you should not be made to feel wrong about not wanting this.

PS, sorry one of the users thought this was a dating site, you know us blokes, always punching above our weight

Good thread

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 05:46 AM

I don't feel pressured into supporting gays at all. If you feel you are I would really like some kind of examples because to me it seems more like you are tired (so am I) about people feeling like they need to give their opinion about gays all the time. Like this thread.
edit on 22-6-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:22 AM

no Christian will support what is an abomination to God

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:32 AM

originally posted by: Nochzwei
no Christian will support what is an abomination to God

How did you arrive at the conclusion that God considers LGBT individuals to be an abomination?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:40 AM

But am I the pot or the kettle?

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 06:59 AM
One thing I have noticed is with the whole "safe space" idea and how that has now moved into the realms of clubbing , in Glasgow Scotland a famous club called the "sub club" a club rich in dance music culture
had made a regrettable tweet about being a safe space since it opened in 1987.

The tweet then resulted in a public backlash as many females then replied saying that they had been abused by clubbers / groped, leered at etc in the club and that it felt anything but safe.

Now what happened next was a social media # storm, people saying they never felt better in the sub club from both male and females etc and of course the opposition saying that they had been abused , etc and how its never felt safe. Sub club has always been gay friendly as most dance music clubs in glasgow are.

People demanding an apology and so on and so forth. The sub club retracted their tweet and apologised after a social media meltdown. They are now in the process of making it a safer space.

everyones opinions were brandished but not alot of solutions were being offered.
What will likely happen is there will be a knee jerk reaction and the government will step in and regulate the # out of the club culture and clubbing will be diluted of any character.
Instead it needs to be a mind set change a community change not a government regulate the crap out of it change.

Clubs are a perfect breeding ground for creeps , weirdos and freaks and no Im not talking about anyone from the LGBT community Im using the term creep , weirdo and freak for those who society deem as anti social , perverted , lacking in moral fibre. Those that take any opportunity to feed their ego and perverse sexual desires or power frenzy.

Opportunists who prey on pretty girls/guys in darkened night clubs.

Clubs are dark dimly lit , smoke filled , drug and booze fueled dens of iniquity well most if not all are like this and it invites those hedonistic people to come and party and lose themselves and let go of the pressures of society.
Of course people can party without booze and drugs that's fine , but still dark rooms , loud music , smoke machines and you still have ample opportunity to creep on people.
If its to be made safe you will need to properly light the clubs, stop all drugs , stop alcohol, turn down the music and give every club attendee a personality test before entering to determine if they may or may not attempt to physically abuse another clubber. This is exactly the knee jerk reaction we can expect in order to make the clubs a safe space in legal land.

One friend pointed out that the safest clubs they know are actually fetish clubs because of the regulations required

Anyway as I said its all about community and calling out these creeps whenever they rear their ugly heads.

On the flip side how many gay/lesbian bars can be said to be safe spaces for people who are straight or even for other people from the LGBT community. in terms of being physically abused /groped / touched when you have not consented to it.

(post by jampaken removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:08 AM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2016 @ 07:09 AM

originally posted by: Bluesma... they were told they were not caring and loving people if they didn't. So they went against what they personally were comfortable with, in order to be seen as "right and good" by the societies terms at that time.

This happens when people do not remain true to themselves, which is not an easy thing to do for a myriad of reasons and influences, both internal and external, but ultimately not anyone's fault or responsibility but their own. No one forced them to do anything. This was a conscious decision they made, to go with the flow or fit in, no matter what "they were told."

In addition, looking back on something like this with the advantage of both knowledge gained through the years of self and knowledge lost through the years of the circumstances at the time with some sort of regret is pointless too. Embrace and retain the wisdom gained and move on without the regret, right?

Staying true to yourself isn't always easy in "society," and you may pay a price for that whether you call attention to it or not, but that's something you have to make peace with and accept without becoming an external influence yourself on others.

edit on 6/22/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>