It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rome is burning, the Emperor is playing his fiddle and censorship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

The question on your lips is: Which war-torn country is this?

It's South Africa. And it's not "war-torn". Officially.

These are images from social media of protests over the past week. The last image is happening right now, about 10 kilometers from where I'm sitting right now.
But you wouldn't have seen any of this in the media. Definitely not in South Africa itself. See, censorship has been implemented:

SABC bans showing protests and destruction of property in South Africa

State broadcaster the SABC says it will no longer show violent protests on any of its channels in a bid to “educate the population”, and send a message that violent action will not get them the attention they seek.

SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng called it a “bold move” and said that it was in line with the broadcaster’s mandate of educating the nation.
Source

Apparently these protests are about service delivery. I.e. bad municipal services provided by the ruling party - the ANC. Do you want to hear something astonishing? In 3 months' time there will be local elections. And these same protestors will once again vote for the ANC. "Why!?" You ask in bewildered surprise. I don't know. No-one can explain it.

But wait, let's take a quick look at some more insight into the minds of the protestors: They complain about the lack of public services such as schools, hospitals, clinics, public transport. And what do they do do show their dismay? They burn down the local schools, clinics and buses...

And don't know what to say to that either...

And where's our president in all of this? I don't know. Maybe at his "homestead" which he built for with tax-payers money (R 250 million/ $ 17 million in "renovations" alone.) Or maybe flying around in his jet which would cost the tax-payer R 4 billion ($ 273 million). Or maybe traveling with one of his 4 wives (or many girlfriends) and 20+ kids costing the tax-payer an estimated R 100 million+ ($ 6.8 million) a year.

Who knows? But probably busy making a fool out of himself:

In case you missed that. Jacob Zuma - the president of the country, South Africa, is saying that "South Africa is the future of this [South Africa's] country"...

But come next general election, they will vote for him once again.

"What are you going to do Gemwolf!?" You ask with concern. I can do nothing.
Consider this: There are 51 million residents in South Africa, and only 3.3 million of those residents carries about 99% of the income tax (source) - I am one of those 3.3 million people. Yet, I have no say in politics. The governing ANC has at least 11,436,921 supporters (votes during the last election) and the closest opposition party has 4,091,584 supporters (votes).

You see why democracy is a joke. This democracy. Is failing. Perhaps if only taxpayers were allowed to vote I would actually have some chance of doing something about my circumstances? But then again, it wouldn't be fair to the unemployed, would it?

No. Right now, this is where we're at. A situation where one person can do sweet blue ... nothing.

I leave you with two final images:

The first image taken during anti-apartheid protests on 17 June 1976. The second last night. 40 years later (22 years since Apartheid was abolished) and nothing changed. The exact same scenes. At least back then there was a purpose to the destruction. One I can understand. I may even have helped to burn the government to the ground to get everyone equal rights... And back then the entire world stood behind the protestors.

But now? My beautiful country is being burned to the ground for reasons no-one can comprehend. The world has lost interest in South Africa seeing that there is no longer "a cause". And Emperor Zuma is playing his fiddle while the flames burn higher and higher.
edit on 21/6/2016 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
, I don't know what to say. Except keep your head down, my friend.

Oh, and my offer a few months back still stands. Any time.
edit on 6/21/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
this is really bad...where is it happening exactly? i lived in Johannesburg for a few years and have lots of dear friends there.
Very sad to see what's happening to such a beautiful place.
Stay safe.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Sins of a nation can make the pendulum swing in the full opposite direction, South Africa is the untold horror of a country that went full on the other direction, and America would be wise to not follow. I hope you are safe brother, have you considered leaving? And I know that's a foolish question to a patriot, because i would fight and die with my land and people.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

and only 3.3 million of those residents carries about 99% of the income tax

Hmmm is this the percentage of whites in the country ?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Most of the recent "protests" are in and around Pretoria (about 50 kilometers from Johannesburg, if you recall) - Bronkhorstspruit, North, Central, Hammanskraal, Attridgeville - Soweto, Roodepoort (close to Jo'burg) as well as KwaZulu-Natal all over the place.

a reply to: TechniXcality

Leave the country? It crosses my mind every so often. But with the Syrian refugee crisis it's getting more and more difficult to get into any country these days. And if Trump is going to get his way - no chance of ever getting into the US (not necessarily that I'd want to go there...
) So, it's an option, but not really one I'd want to look at. I love my country and (most of) its people. Unless it becomes a life or death situation... (And we may be closer to that than we think.)

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hmmm is this the percentage of whites in the country ?

No. Whites are about 8.25% of the population (with 80.48% black, 8.79% colored and 2.48% Asian/other). This isn't a black vs. white issue. Yes, the ruling party has mostly black supporters, but considering the demographics any ruling party will have a majority of black voters. The question is what percentage of ANC (ruling party) voters are employed and paying income taxes compared to opposition party (DA) voters... These statistics are - "surprisingly" - not available...

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Not just occurring in South Africa, the world is hemorrhaging in a lot of different places. They either omit coverage of it or call it something else. W'eve witnessed the 'Arab Spring, Occupy, Austerity riots, floods of refugees', form a bunch of nations but they alway compartmentalize it, saying its this or that reason…

The people of the world are tired of globalism, stealing their wealth, resources and assets. They are fed up to here of brutal police states, wars, and loss of independence and self determination and they are beginning to show it.

Except here at home, here we are docile, civilized, domesticated, good little minions.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The following video was uploaded to Facebook about an hour ago. Apparently happening in Daspoort, Pretoria. I recognize the mountains in the background - definitely the North of Pretoria...

This is not going to end well...

And according to social media some of the protests have moved to a neighborhood about a kilometer from my office...
:-/
edit on 21/6/2016 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Man I am sorry to see the destruction...your locals should learn to not shxit where they live!

The world has lost interest in South Africa...you posted...and why in my opinion...because the world has lost interest and frankly has bigger fish to fry.

I had South African neighbors in Connecticut...white former military officer...university educated...he had all the right buttons pushed and still bagged the country, family and his future for fresh start in Amerika...said it wasn't "fixable" in his life time.

Good Luck down there.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I read an article just yesterday about "Emigration" out of South Africa...........it tops the list of countries people are LEAVING.

The reasons cited were the usual suspects. To avoid high taxes, to find better paying jobs, to move for family reasons such as wanting to find better educational opportunities for their children, to take property profits and invest them in a more stable jurisdiction. All that being said, it sort of begs the question;

WHY ARE YOU STILL THERE?

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I've lived in Africa.
I can assure you one thing.
It will eventually become a life and death matter.

You seriously need to explore your exit options. "Hope" isn't a strategy.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Shaka zulu would know what to do

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I read an article just yesterday about "Emigration" out of South Africa...........it tops the list of countries people are LEAVING.

The reasons cited were the usual suspects. To avoid high taxes, to find better paying jobs, to move for family reasons such as wanting to find better educational opportunities for their children, to take property profits and invest them in a more stable jurisdiction. All that being said, it sort of begs the question;

WHY ARE YOU STILL THERE?

I live in America, and I too see the handwriting on the wall. I agree with Intrptr. The whole world is infested with fleas, there are few, if any places to run.

Our only chance is to stand firm, work together, spend miserly, and with great discretion. We need to starve the beast. No beast. No fleas.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Whats happening cant be commented on without breaching this websites terms and conditions,needless to say many South Africans now have to live behind razor wire with big black dogs and be armed at all times,Zuma the el-presidente is only up for 800 corruption charges.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I have come across many South Africans who have set up business in Western Australia, some of the nicest people I have ever met.
What is ironic is that a handful controlled the wealth during the apartheid era - now a handful again, Kings, royal families are enjoying the spoils.

Be safe Gemwolf...and remember home is where the heart is, sometimes emigration is the best option.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Zuma the el-presidente is only up for 800 corruption charges.

Seems like things in South Africa are paralleling events in the U.S. We have Hilary Clinton, the most corrupt person in America and she will be elected by the mindless voters just like Zuma. It is an insane world.

edit on 2016/6/21 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
At this point, I often feel as though our whole modern "civilization" is like a pressure cooker with a stuck valve. How long will it be before it blows, and all hell breaks loose?

Be safe Gemwolf. Keep us posted. I had no idea things had gotten so radical there lately.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say you folks have to be asking the same questions many Americans are asking. Which is worse? Two of the worst candidates this country has ever seen in its history? Or that maybe voting is, and has always been, an exercise in futility.

edit on 6/21/2016 by Klassified because: grammar, punct

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
South Africa went from a first world nation colonized and created by white people in a land that was unpopulated, despite the current Marxist lies, to a third world dump. The white South Africans are undergoing a genocide. Living in tent cities and being raided, raped, and murdered by roving gangs of negroes. Truly a hell on earth. Americans and Europeans should take heed at what is happening there because the same fate lies in store for us.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

What moral conditions will be characteristic of society in the last days? It's in the Bible, II Timothy 3:1-5, NIV. "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."

An increase in knowledge and travel is a sign of the last days. It's in the Bible, Daniel 12:4, TLB. "But Daniel, keep this prophecy a secret; seal it up so that it will not be understood until the end times, when travel and education shall be vastly increased!"

What other signs of the last days does the Bible mention? It's in the Bible, Luke 21:25-26, NIV. "There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken."

Talk of peace and safety are a sign of the last days. It's in the Bible, I Thessalonians 5:2-3, NIV. "For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, 'Peace and safety,' destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape."

What are people to do when they see these things taking place? It's in the Bible, Matthew 24:42-44, TLB. "So be prepared, for you don't know what day your Lord is coming. Just as a man can prevent trouble from thieves by keeping watch for them, so you can avoid trouble by always being ready for My unannounced return."

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Some more pictures telling the story of today's events:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join