It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NY Dems Want $1 Billion For Stem Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Democrats in New York are re-addressing the stem cell initiative, citing California's adoption of a similar proposition. State officials are considering a $1 billion research plan to further knowledge and application of stem cell treatments. Stem Cell research continues to be a controversial subject as embryos are considered living entities by some. Funding for the research is seen as vital to keep/recruit the best minds in this field.

abcnews.go.com
NEW YORK Jan 16, 2005 — Democratic lawmakers proposed a $1 billion stem cell research initiative on Sunday, saying New York could be left behind after California voters approved $3 billion for human embryonic stem cell research.

Senate Democratic leader David Paterson said the initiative would be financed through the sale of up to $1 billion in general obligation bonds, subject to voter approval, over 10 years.

"Many, many jobs will be lost otherwise," he warned

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

California has set the curve again for liberal agendas, this time in the name in science. If this gets approved in New York, then all the drama created when this was first made public will probably be relagated to sporadic protests, ala abortion clinics. Though the debate will continue to be heated, I believe that the progression of science is going to win out on this one - as it rightfully should. Economic competition is the major motivator and in this case the human race is better for it.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
This issue has been the victim of political spinning the likes of which few issues ever see. Some seem to be under the impression that babies will be aborted specifically for the purpose of this research. What it boils down to is that religious elements in the right wing have painted themselves into a corner. They've been so militant about the idea that every single fetus must be born that they have left no room for contigency planning.

Some unborn children will never be delivered. It's sad but true. Some are going to be legally aborted for one reason or another. At this point it's no longer a child- it's a cadaver. Now we can let it be disposed of like biological waste, or we can use that tragically wasted life to save another life.

This research should be done, and the government should get out of the way and let it be done so long as it complies with basic rules of humane science, which as far as I understand have no problem with experimentation on tissue from cadavers.

Good for California and good for New York. Now if they'd just lighten up on my car, my rifle, and my religion it would be great. One last note; what are the odds we can get california and new york to cooperate on this and get other states to chip in? We need to do it all the way- not just "drop in the bucket" for decades to come.

new topics

join