It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vintage Audio Gear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Any fans of older audio gear ?

Im about to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine and that is to own a piece of McIntosh gear.. Through some lucky circumstances I have a chance to pay $1200 for a McIntosh MA230 integrated tube amp and SST preamp. The run for this was from 1963-1966 with mine being built in 64 and just factory authorized restored.

Next up is pairing this with a good pair of speakers and enjoy the classic McIntosh sound...

www.google.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA
When I saw this thread I immediatly thought McIntosh. I used to drool in the mid 70s over that equipment. One friend had a McIntosh amp. The closest I ever got was 2 Questar Electronics 220 watt class A amps in about 1980. I may still have one here, the other burnt up. I do however have a Bhang and Olufson Turntable.

Yep McIntosh was the chit man, and still is. Super clean!
Im running a ARCAM 700 watt 7 channel Brittish system now with Earthquake towers and a earthquake 12" sub powered by its own 600 watt internal amp. Cheers! And enjoy the McIntosh

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Any fans of older audio gear ?

Im about to fulfill a lifelong dream of mine and that is to own a piece of McIntosh gear.. Through some lucky circumstances I have a chance to pay $1200 for a McIntosh MA230 integrated tube amp and SST preamp. The run for this was from 1963-1966 with mine being built in 64 and just factory authorized restored.

Next up is pairing this with a good pair of speakers and enjoy the classic McIntosh sound...

www.google.com...

I have a couple of dbx 3bx and a bx-3 quad amp. They're fun, especially the amp if you want to melt voice coils. Have some nice older Cerwin Vega speakers, a pair of marantz 6370's and a pioneer 838 receiver with a pl-100. But the recording equipment is funner, akai z8 sampler and electrix rack modules along with a tg-55, dm pro and my Yamaha xg synth. The fender 2050 1968 amp is a pretty unique toy, have nice earlyv70's traynor wedge that I can piggy back onto the fender.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/20.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The Fender is probably worth some money

link   

link   

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I know very little about vintage audio but I do love old tube amps. I'm a guitar guy so that's the end I'm familiar with but, I appreciate the audiophile perspective. Cool OP!

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Fender 2050 amp? Never heard of that. Are you in the States?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Oh yeah lol. Museum quality, everything works. It's actually been to almost every country in the world on a c130. The original owner was a DND FE, very good friend of mine. He bought it in 1969 from the Heidelberg university music shop in Germany so it has the original multitap transformer from the factory, dated 1967 stock ;-) He gave it to me to fix, wouldn't work, sat in storage for 25 years. So I resoldered and recapped everything. Even has the original blue label dual fender 12" speakers, foot switch remote and the long coil reverb box. Fun stuff.

SR2050X, says 50wrms, but fender engineers say it is 75wrms. She's bloody loud enough and very clean. Run my es-335 through it and it's just sweet.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/20.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Fender 2050 amp? Never heard of that. Are you in the States?

In Canada, purchased in Germany in 1969

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm a fan. I currently have a 1978 Yamaha setup. CR-2020 receiver, YP-D8 table, and NS1000M speakers. I love the sound. The receiver, though solid state, has a warm sound which is a good match for the clinical NS1000Ms.

I agree on the McIntosh though. Someday, I would like to get some Klipschorns or La Scala II's pushed by a McIntosh 275 tube amp.

There is other Yamaha gear I would like the chance to own as well. P2200 amp, NS10000 speakers, CR-3020 receiver

Dream list:
Yamaha GF-1 speakers
Technics SB-10000 speakers
Technics SB-7000A speakers
Technics SB-M1 speakers
Technics SB-9500 speakers
Yamaha 101M amp
Yamaha MX-2000 amp
Yamaha B6 amp
JBL 4344 speakers
JBL 4350/4355 speakers
Altec VOTT A7 speakers

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I used an ADCOM 545-II amp for almost 25 years, and switched to a Parasound 2125, which is about where my needs top out.

Now a days, digital T amps massacre old A/AB amps for peanuts. If I were building a system, the amp would be the lowest budget item.

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...

smile.amazon.com...=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crown+amp

smile.amazon.com...=bl_dp_s_web_11876251011

Likewise, a speaker system like Berringer's performance is far away from it's price point, enough to obsolete most any speaker anyone here is listening to.

Chi-fi is a real thing. Rarely do vintage components bear fruit.

edit on 21-6-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Nice!

I hope it works great and gives much pleasure....you lucky so-and-so.

If I could ever afford it I would have a whole bunch of classic hi fi gear. Just considering what I CAN afford in my future upgrase but lots of research to do. I like the DIY route myself so new speakers, amp and turntable would be nice.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I have an old pair of Kenwood floor speakers that would go well with that. In the cabinets, there's an 18, and a tweeter and maaaaaan, they sound good.

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Awesome replies so far.. I love things like this, some of us may disagree on conspiracies or whatever yet a topic like this and you all feel like friends im sitting in a room listening to The Wall with..

posted on Jun, 21 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
One of my producers had a moog synth, the stuff he could create with it was amazing. Doubt it could be considered vintage really but I loved my mpc2000

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Got it all hooked up!
The volume is overwhelming running through my ATH-M50x headphones, saving up for the speakers I want.

new topics

top topics

join