It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate Ready to Vote on Gun Bans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Snarl

And, the way we wound up with the Patriot Act is because there was way too much liberalism and political correctness in America.

What?? Is that you lot say when you need to be nasty but can't think of anything witty and on topic? Hurr durr political correctness libtard...

LOL I'm glad you understood what I said ... because I didn't understand half of your response. You were the one that brought up the Patriot Act. We both disagree with it ... but we're on polar opposite ends of The Why.

edit on 2062016 by Snarl because: I was bad.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's good to see that the Senate voted NO on gun controls.
Ref: www.msn.com...

Now they can leave Americans alone and focus on the terrorists. I already spelled out how to stop them. Go after the things and people that they care about. Send a message to the next terrorist in line!

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Looks like the American People need to elect Senators and Representatives that actually vote more in line with their beliefs in November rather than those of the gun lobby.

Gallup Polls: Guns

55% think gun sales laws should be more strict
33% think laws should be kept as they are currently
11% think laws should be more lenient

86% are in favor of a national background checks using a database covering all 50 states

Etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't recall stating a position.

link   
Who are we fooling?

There's NOT going to have any degree of limitations on guns as long as there is a GOP congress.

What has to happen is the GOP has to be voted out for any chance for any kind of limitations on gun buying and ownership

It’s just that simple and even then it likely won’t happen

link   
a reply to: Snarl

My team? LOL

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Perhaps harsh language.
Or Obama can maybe draw a red line or something.

"Harsh language" reminds me of this part of one of my favorite movies. Guess which ones lived through that too ... the ones who didn't let themselves be disarmed.

And I admit I'd sort of like to see Obama do another "red line" dance. It was kind of entertaining when he kept moving the goalposts on it. Too bad he was shredding our country's reputation right along with his unwillingness to back up his word. It means whoever sits in the Oval Office next will have to do something to restore the world's belief that we mean what we say.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Procedural vote....

requiring court order to delay no-fly list gun sales for 72 hours....

Motion Fails

Good Guys- 2
Asses of Evil- 0

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I bet most Senators today are voting along the lines of people in their States.

But some might be looking at the November voters.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

One calls for research on the causes of mass shootings and funding for back ground checks

Oh yeah doing a person search on the 'internets' sure needs 'more' funding.

Another would expand background checks to include guns bough on the internet and private sales.

Which NO terrorist or 'mass shooter' used to commit THEIR crimes.

Another would allow federal law enforcement officials to delay gun sales to suspected terrorists, including those on watch and no-fly lists, for three days and then halt the sales, but only after proving probable cause before a judge.

Who doesn't like that virtual GITMO.

Denial of Due process, and people NEVER get off of that island.

The Bill of RIGHTS and the 14th amendment has quite a bit to say about that.

And the last would allow the attorney general to halt sales to suspected terrorists and allow individuals to appeal to the Department of Justice if they are denied a firearm.

Actual crimes need not apply.

What a great day for American CIVIL LIBERTIES.

For those that forgot what that use to mean.

freedom from arbitrary governmental interference (as with the right of free speech) specifically by denial of governmental power and in the United States especially as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights —usually used in plural

www.merriam-webster.com...

Zeig Heil!

Zeig Heil!

The Gunphobes sure are doing Hitler proud.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

It's that pesky Constitution getting in their way again... SMH

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Procedural vote....

requiring court order to delay no-fly list gun sales for 72 hours....

Motion Fails

Americans spend in excess of $10B/yr on shooting sports. There's a lot of taxes that go hand-in-glove with that figure. Money circulating.

Good to see the Legislature making common-sense decisions here.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Procedural vote....

block gun sales to suspected terrorists on no-fly list ....

(amendment by Diane Feinstein)

Motion Failed

The proposals scheduled for a vote Monday — all as amendments to a Justice Department spending bill — include:

* An amendment by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., would allow the attorney general to deny a gun sale to anyone if she has a "reasonable belief" — a lesser standard than "probable cause" — that the buyer was likely to engage in terrorism. The proposal is popularly known as the "no-fly, no-buy" amendment, but wouldn't just apply to people on the "no fly" terrorist watch list.
Failed

* An Republican alternative by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, which would require that law enforcement be alerted when anyone on the terror watch list attempts to buy a weapon from a licensed dealer. If the buyer has been investigated for terrorism within the past five years, the attorney general could block a sale for up to three days while a court reviews the sale.
Failed

* An amendment by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, would make it more difficult to add mentally ill people to the background check database, giving people suspected of serious mental illness a process to challenge that determination.
Failed

* An amendment by Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., that would close the "gun show loophole" by requiring every gun purchaser to undergo a background check, and to expand the background check database.
Failed

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It's that pesky Constitution getting in their way again... SMH

The Constitution isn't getting in anyone's way. It is the basis of all our freedoms.

The Constitution is clear, as is case law from the Supreme Court created by the Constitution, as is the will of the American people. There will be universal background checks drawing on a national database. There will be ways to keep terrorists from easily buying weapons in this country at their will.

It's only a matter of time. The NRA won't control Congress forever.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good Guys- 4
Asses of Evil- 0

Mercy rule needs to be called and Asses of Evil really need to be downgraded to the minors to avoid this type of butt kicking in the future. Send 'em back home, voters. Do the right thing and stop voting for nannies, meddlers, and those who hate Civil Rights.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I bet most Senators today are voting along the lines of people in their States.

But some might be looking at the November voters.

Senators are voting in line with the NRA.

The American people in any poll you care to mention have made their opinions clear.

There will be universal background checks. There will be more ways to keep terrorists from easily buying weapons.

I like to think that there will be improved ways to maintain a terrorist watch list with more attention to due process, but that's probably going to require a sea change in the Congress with Senators and Representatives who at least pay mouth service to accomplishing the People's work.

edit on 20-6-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Amendment to what?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

You sure about that ?

Considering our entire LEGAL system is predicated on the presumption of innocence until PROVEN GUILTY in courts of law.

The background check has that backasswards.

GUILTY until proven innocent.

And those SNIP are actually voting?

The people that are pushing that nonsense need to be tried for treason.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

These were all proposed amendments to HR 2578. Two were GOP proposals, two were Democrat proposals. All failed.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

I mean amendments to the Constitution?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join