It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate Ready to Vote on Gun Bans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Senate is right now debating the gun ban.

The vote is soon and we have Hillary and Elizabeth going hog wild on Twitter.

Watch C-Span or your local sources to get the vote coming up.

Hillary on Twitter

Lizabeth Warren on Twitter

Senate leaders spar ahead of votes on gun bills that are all likely to fail

5:15 p.m. EDT June 20, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Senate was preparing to vote Monday on four gun-control measures, including legislation to expand background check requirements for gun buyers and ban sales to suspected terrorists.

But the chamber's Democratic and Republican leaders offered no indication that any of the measures will get the bipartisan support needed to advance.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The defeat of this legislation will be just a diversion for the act of radical Islamic terrorism perpetrated recently in Orlando.

Stunning the way the MSM can bring one story to a close using another as cover.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pass whatever laws you want.

I'm not giving you people my firearms.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well this should be interesting. I cant eat popcorn so I'm going to bust out a bag of chips.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Geez ... looking at Hillary's twitter feed and seeing her in her commie clothes reminded me of Chairman Mao and his gun grab. You know ... the one that preceded the extermination of millions of people who didn't agree with his politics? He got what ... 40+ million in less than five years.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
HEy i heard that a AR-15 style weapon was not used in the shooting it turns out. has anyone else heard that too?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It was based on a Sig platform but what does it matter when you have ess for brains sensationalist politicians who cannot tell a shotgun from a glue gun.

edit on 20-6-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
What part of this vote bans guns?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The part people here made up without actually reading the article or the legislation.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
A look at the 4 gun bills up for vote in Senate

The proposals scheduled for a vote Monday — all as amendments to a Justice Department spending bill — include:

► An amendment by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., would allow the attorney general to deny a gun sale to anyone if she has a "reasonable belief" — a lesser standard than "probable cause" — that the buyer was likely to engage in terrorism. The proposal is popularly known as the "no-fly, no-buy" amendment, but wouldn't just apply to people on the "no fly" terrorist watch list.

► An Republican alternative by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, which would require that law enforcement be alerted when anyone on the terror watch list attempts to buy a weapon from a licensed dealer. If the buyer has been investigated for terrorism within the past five years, the attorney general could block a sale for up to three days while a court reviews the sale.

► An amendment by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, would make it more difficult to add mentally ill people to the background check database, giving people suspected of serious mental illness a process to challenge that determination.

► An amendment by Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., that would close the "gun show loophole" by requiring every gun purchaser to undergo a background check, and to expand the background check database.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Do you people even read the articles. The OP gives you a BS title and just buy into hook line and sinker. NONE of these bills involve banning any gun. One calls for research on the causes of mass shootings and funding for back ground checks. Another would expand background checks to include guns bough on the internet and private sales. Another would allow federal law enforcement officials to delay gun sales to suspected terrorists, including those on watch and no-fly lists, for three days and then halt the sales, but only after proving probable cause before a judge. And the last would allow the attorney general to halt sales to suspected terrorists and allow individuals to appeal to the Department of Justice if they are denied a firearm.

And you people have a problem with these? This is why responsible gun owners such as myself get painted as gun nuts. Of course we know they will all fail because the NRA and its cooperate masters have Congress by the short hairs, even though the American people agree to all these by a massive margin. God forbid we delay somebody suspected of being a terrorist from buying a gun for 3 days.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

None of it of course. That is just a way to obfuscate things.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is not so much a gun ban as it is making it extremely easy to deny somebody the right to purchase firearms.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Any restrictions on gun buying is a ban for those people affected.

Right?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Why wouldnt someone take issue with an after the fact "due process" clause on a Stasi type watch list which finds someone guilty until proven more guilty.

95% of FISA requests are approved.

Rights do not exist at the whim of government.

This Congressman says it much better than I can.

Republican Congressman from S. Carolina rips into DHS official over no-fly no-buy list.

edit on 20-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
God forbid we delay somebody suspected of being a terrorist from buying a gun for 3 days.

Brother, if they're suspected of being a terrorist ... why aren't they already on their way down to GITMO?

There's the problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I just bought another Armalite AR-15 it will be worth a fortune on November 2 if Hillary get elected.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

We already have background checks - the Orlando shooter had multiple background checks when he became a licensed security guard, got a job with a federal contractor, and bought his firearms. He was also previously investigated by the FBI. When they say in these bills "funding for background checks" - what more do people want when the FBI can't even effectively use the current laws in place to thwart this kind of attack.

I don't know about you "Mr. responsible gun owner" but last time I checked, when you buy a firearm online it still has to be shipped to a local FFL holder and they run a NICS background check when you make the transfer.

As far as the whole 'no-fly no buy' and 'terror watch lists' bills, the problem with those is - who is defining terrorism? What if Trump gets elected and puts all Muslims on a watch list. Do all Muslims then lose their 2nd amendment rights? What if all law abiding gun owners that own a Gadsden flag are put on a watch list - do they lose their 2nd amendment rights?

Just because some of us other firearms owners can see the unintended consequences of more laws and don't support such legislation, doe not make us 'gun nuts'.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
God forbid we delay somebody suspected of being a terrorist from buying a gun for 3 days.

Yeah, I can see it now.

Gun dealer: 'sorry, you're gun sale is delayed for 3 days due to you being a suspected terrorist.'

Terrorist: 'Thanks for the heads up!'

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Looks like increasing funds for gun background checks is getting defeated.

The motion has failed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join